The Student Room Group

Texting your ex...when you're in a new relationship

Everybody wants to be civil with the person they broke up with and I understand that staying friends is nice, but sending them texts like "awww I'm watching (tv show) and it makes me think of you :heart:" ?

He always tells me that his ex is a complete **** and that he has no desire to remain friends with them - so what's up with that? One day all he has is negative things about his ex and the next thing I know he's sending those kinds of texts :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, he still has feelings. Dump him before he cheats.
Reply 2
I have no problem with being friends with exes but that sounds like a text verging on inappropriate imo.
Texting an ex is fine, provided it's not all the time and it isn't suggestive, (both about the relationship and sexually - basically it should be platonic). I wouldn't text a friend something like that, unless we were very very close, and even then it's doubtful. Does he initiate a lot? Call him out on it.
Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. I'd get it if they'd broken up long ago and remained friends for a while, but it sounds as if it's a bit more than that.
I'd definitely let him know that it's getting to you. You deserve the truth, so ask him if he still has feelings for this ex of his, and if he's willing to cut all ties to stay in a relationship with you.
Talk to him. Seriously. And don't beat around the bush - say it as it is, and how it's making you feel, because this doesn't seem fair on you.
Good luck.
I'm sorry, if my bf were doing that I would be bloody unimpressed. That's not ok when you're dating someone.
Reply 6
Original post by Sweet_Heart
Texting an ex is fine, provided it's not all the time and it isn't suggestive, (both about the relationship and sexually - basically it should be platonic). I wouldn't text a friend something like that, unless we were very very close, and even then it's doubtful. Does he initiate a lot? Call him out on it.

Original post by Rosa Arabelle
Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable with that at all. I'd get it if they'd broken up long ago and remained friends for a while, but it sounds as if it's a bit more than that.
I'd definitely let him know that it's getting to you. You deserve the truth, so ask him if he still has feelings for this ex of his, and if he's willing to cut all ties to stay in a relationship with you.
Talk to him. Seriously. And don't beat around the bush - say it as it is, and how it's making you feel, because this doesn't seem fair on you.
Good luck.

When we first got together we had the talk about our previous relationships, like you do, and he said that his ex is a horrible person, arrogant, he wasn't happy in the relationship for a long time and that he never wants to see them again. Yet when I confronted him about this text he acted like I was stupid and said "well of course I want to be friends! I went out with her, she's a nice person otherwise I'd have never went out with her!" - it just makes me feel like he was originally saying that he disliked his ex to make me feel somehow safe?
If I knew he wanted to be friends from the beginning i wouldn't have a problem with it, it's the fact that he pretends he hates her but obviously doesn't that confuses me
Reply 7
were you the rebound?
Reply 8
Original post by 2ndClass
were you the rebound?

When we met he has only broken up with his ex for about a month.
That question, "am I the rebound" was the first question I asked him and he told me no no no.
We've been together 6 months now.

I think I might have been the rebound after all :/
Original post by Anonymous
Everybody wants to be civil with the person they broke up with and I understand that staying friends is nice, but sending them texts like "awww I'm watching (tv show) and it makes me think of you :heart:" ?

He always tells me that his ex is a complete **** and that he has no desire to remain friends with them - so what's up with that? One day all he has is negative things about his ex and the next thing I know he's sending those kinds of texts :s-smilie:

that would piss me off no end
Reply 10
When we first got together we had the talk about our previous relationships, like you do, and he said that his ex is a horrible person, arrogant, he wasn't happy in the relationship for a long time and that he never wants to see them again. Yet when I confronted him about this text he acted like I was stupid and said "well of course I want to be friends! I went out with her, she's a nice person otherwise I'd have never went out with her!" - [bold]it just makes me feel like he was originally saying that he disliked his ex to make me feel somehow safe?[/bold]
If I knew he wanted to be friends from the beginning i wouldn't have a problem with it, it's the fact that he pretends he hates her but obviously doesn't that confuses me

Sorttttt of, it seems he's trying to stop you feeling insecure about the fact he still talks to his ex, and doesn't want you to get jealous or think anything is going on. Not saying you would think that!
Reply 11
That question, "am I the rebound" was the first question I asked him and he told me no no no.

Also, how long were they together?
Reply 12
Original post by Bezaberry
Also, how long were they together?

they were only together a couple of months! No more than 4 or 5
How do you know he has been sending such texts...? If you have been going through his phone you don't trust him, and if you don't trust him there is no point being with him.
Reply 14
they were only together a couple of months! No more than 4 or 5

AH, okay I wouldn't worry about being the rebound then haha, if it was a few years, then I'd be worried.
Reply 15
Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse
How do you know he has been sending such texts...? If you have been going through his phone you don't trust him, and if you don't trust him there is no point being with him.

We were watching TV together and I got a text, he playfully grabbed my phone and said "who's this then, are you cheating on me!!?"...and I did the same back, it was all in jest at the time. I didn't expect to see texts from his ex.
Reply 16

.You should demand no contact just to gage his reaction. If he gets defensive and refuses, or agrees then continues secretly then there are clearly unresolved feelings there and it would be best for you to find someone who actually wants to be with you. If he pulls out the "just friends" card then that's a red flag too. I don't understand why someone wants to be friends with a "complete bitch".
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 17
Sounds like he still has feelings for this "bitch" ... you should ask him why he insulted her and yet still wants to be friends with her... your right to be confused as it doesn't really make sense, and the fact he is contradicting himself seems to suggest he is trying to hide something...
Reply 18
It's unacceptable to text an ex if you're seeing someone else. There is no reason to text a girl unless it's for a specific reason or you're trying to bang them. Dump this ho before you're tasting another girls pussy on his breath
Reply 19
maybe he called her a bitch when you first got together because since they had broke up so recently his hurt was fresh and raw but now hes got over it he realises shes actually a nice person he wants to be friends with.

not saying its true but its the only explanation I can think of that doesn't make him a liar or still have feelings for her.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending