The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Question Mark
looking at last years stats only 23 economics candidates were selected via the winter pool. chances do not look so great :frown:

23 out of 1000 offers given to 3000 pooled students. It might be that economics applicants tend to have > 93% and so loads of them get auto-pooled, even if the college really didn't like them :dontknow:
Original post by The Polymath
23 out of 1000 offers given to 3000 pooled students. It might be that economics applicants tend to have > 93% and so loads of them get auto-pooled, even if the college really didn't like them :dontknow:

ouch. should have done maths and transfered to economics in 2nd year. :confused:
Original post by Etoile
No, I only had 92%! Did you?

Nope :frown:
ouch. should have done maths and transfered to economics in 2nd year. :confused:

No, Maths is probably even more like that :tongue:
Original post by Optimistic_Owl
Same here! So many people applied this year! Good luck! :smile:

Thanks, you too! :biggrin:
Reply 165
Nope :frown:

Cheer up, they think you're good enough they just need to find a place for you! :smile:
No, Maths is probably even more like that :tongue:

any ideas on how colleges decided on the candidates to fish eg is it ums or interview or application form. thanks for info :smile:
Reply 167
Original post by jh.
Quick question: looking at the application stats it seems that there's been on average 200 places for MML over the last few years but the number of applicants has been between 500-600. This year there were only 380 applicants, so would this mean that they would still keep 200 places open for MMLers or would some be allocated elsewhere?

How do you know there were only 380 applicants?
Auto-Pooled by St. Catherine's for Bio NatSci. Another week of hell it seems..
For those that do no know... The Polymath is already at Cambridge and is considered a font of wisdom :wink:
any ideas on how colleges decided on the candidates to fish eg is it ums or interview or application form. thanks for info :smile:

Depends entirely on the college and what applicants they have so far.

You are assigned scores and marks by the college which pooled you though, telling other colleges how you did at interview, whether they should make an offer etc.
Reply 171
Pooled by Clare for Medicine.
Reply 172
Fish me out the pool, please? :frown:

(Here's hoping I get put in Lucy Cavendish by mistake and no one bats an eyelid :colone: )
Reply 173
On the small chance that I get an interview, it says on the website that it will be on the 11th. I also have a chemistry exam on that day. Would it be possible to reschedule?
Reply 174
Original post by medicdude
On the small chance that I get an interview, it says on the website that it will be on the 11th. I also have a chemistry exam on that day. Would it be possible to reschedule?

I read somewhere that the interview dates are negotiable to avoid Jan exams, I think it said they prefer between the 9-14th.
How many people have been phoned yet? I was convinced that the colleges couldnt ring until tomorrow at the earliest because of their strict guidelines? Anyway, good luck everyone! :smile:
Original post by Etoile
How do you know there were only 380 applicants?

you can look on this link: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/statistics/
here you can see how many applied to your chosen college and how many applied to the others too. You can also look at the past 5 years of applications but because psychology is new this year, i cant look back :s-smilie: Best of luck!
Original post by psychology1010
Congratulations... you must be ecstatic!!

May I ask you what your UMS average and predictions are?

Thank you! My UMS average is about 93% and I am predicted 4 A*.
Reply 178
Pooled by Downing for HSPS. I swear Downing have set quite a few people afloat this year, it's a freaking lake!
Reply 179
Original post by cytang
Nope. Still gotta wait coz the office was jam-packed by callers and 'email'ers plus it's over office hours in uk... i think you need to wait over the weekend if you are unlucky...

oh noooo!!!i hope thats not the case.."fingers crossed". good luck with your application:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)