The Student Room Group

Church of England Drops Opposition To Gay Bishops

The Church of England has dropped its prohibition on gay clergy in civil partnerships becoming bishops.

The announcement, from the Church's House of Bishops, would allow gay clergy to become bishops if they promise to be celibate.

Conservative evangelical Anglicans say they will fight the move in the Church's ruling general synod.

The issue has split the church since 2003 amid a row over gay cleric Jeffrey John becoming Bishop of Reading.

Mr John, now Dean of St Albans, was forced to withdraw from the role shortly after having initially accepted it, following protests from traditionalists.

He was also a candidate for Bishop of Southwark in 2010 but was rejected. Evidence emerged that this was because of his sexual orientation.

The Church of England has already agreed to allow people in civil partnerships to become clergy, provided they promised they would remain celibate.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20914799

Thoughts???
Reply 1
Its fair in the case where they are celibate.

But you cant have bishops bumming each other.

All in all, a fair deal
Reply 2

Lol Christians are selling out their religion day by day. I reckon that in the near future it won't matter if gay clergy promise to be celibate; they will be allowed to become bishops even if they are promiscuous.
Reply 3
Original post by sabre2th1
Lol Christians are selling out their religion day by day. I reckon that in the near future it won't matter if gay clergy promise to be celibate; they will be allowed to become bishops even if they are promiscuous.

Yup. I'm not sure to praise their adaptability and willingness to change or to criticise their lack of conservativity undermining their religious views as a whole - I'm not so bothered either way since I'm not a Catholic.
Nothing wrong with loving anything or anyone, it's what you do about it that matters. It's a good decision imo.
Reply 5
Better than nothing, I suppose.

How nice of them. Although this bit interests me:

"The Church of England has already agreed to allow people in civil partnerships to become clergy, provided they promised they would remain celibate. "

So if you're gay and you're in a civil partnership you can become a clergyman as long as you don't consumate your sinful life. How tolerant.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending