The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by gregzz
Exactly, GT was soooo mean, like I got something wrong because he asked me a question with a differentiation by the chain rule which I've not done and I said I don't know how to do this and he just looked at me with the mean look in his eyes, I swear he hated me. And SM is a great guy, really liked him and I was much more confident then.

Well, I just completely forgot the chain rule in his interview xD not sure if you were before or after me :tongue: I was really comfortable in the SM interview, was much more relaxed and enjoyable, I had that one first though.

Original post by gregzz
Yea but I'm also a Polish immigrant and can't speak English, so I probably get another flag for that! :biggrin: I've applied Trinity Hall for CompSci with Physics.
The opening paragraph of my email was

Same paragraph.
Original post by jh.
Look at is this way, there are - based on the last few years - around 50 places in the pool for MML and if you assume that of the 380 that applied 340 were interviewed, then 150 got outright offers, 50 places from 190 (probably way less as I haven't taken into account the people who weren't pooled), I think our odds are quite good. Especially as we didn't necessarily meet the auto-pooling criteria meaning we must have done something right at interview! (rational or not, this thinking has kept me sane for the last 12 hours..)

How do you know how many pool offers there were for MML?
Reply 242
Guys, I know it's horrible, but from tomorrow onwards there's a 1/3 chance we'll get an email/phone call :five:

In the meantime, good luck, and
[video="youtube;CmyUkm2qlhA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmyUkm2qlhA[/video]
Reply 243
Original post by Silverland
Might I ask what this cryptic teaser means?
What it says :ninja:
Reply 244
Original post by iCiaran
Well, I just completely forgot the chain rule in his interview xD not sure if you were before or after me :tongue: I was really comfortable in the SM interview, was much more relaxed and enjoyable, I had that one first though.

Hmm I think I've met you, are you like 6ft4, longish hair? If yes then I was sat next to you when waiting for my 2nd interview whilst the TH students were making those paper chains :P
Reply 245
Original post by The Polymath
How do you know how many pool offers there were for MML?
If you check out the admissions statistics page linked from the OP of the thread you'll reach a page where you can call up the stats by college and/or subject.
Original post by Minerva
If you check out the admissions statistics page linked from the OP of the thread you'll reach a page where you can call up the stats by college and/or subject.

Ohhh, silly me, I thought it would only show pool count if you picked a college.
Original post by The Polymath
Ohhh, silly me, I thought it would only show pool count if you picked a college.

But it still will not tell you how many applicants are in the pool for your subject ie economics?

only accepted via the piol for previous years? :confused:
Reply 248
Pooled by Christ's for Maths
97.2% UMS (top 3), does this mean my interview went really badly??
Reply 249
If I get any more emails from Skybet reminding me of a "free bet" I won't be a happy bunny, just got a bit excited when I got an email... :tongue:
Original post by Jimbobp
Pooled by Christ's for Maths
97.2% UMS (top 3), does this mean my interview went really badly??

your interview feedback will be interesting
Reply 251
Original post by gregzz
Hmm I think I've met you, are you like 6ft4, longish hair? If yes then I was sat next to you when waiting for my 2nd interview whilst the TH students were making those paper chains :P

Yup, that was me :tongue:
Reply 252
For all maths applicants in the pool: Last year, 18/28 colleges made offers for maths through the pool, giving a total of 99 offers.
That's 1/5 of everyone that gets a maths offer, so keep positive :smile:

It's a shame you can't see how many were pooled though :/
Original post by wrexhamfc
Sounds like they might take you back depending on who else they find in the pool. Not exactly unthinkable.

That is weird :confused:

Yeah, perhaps they're just feeling around first to see if there's somebody better they can take. (Which there surely will be.)

Original post by Etoile
I played the applicants game and I picked you :tongue: My other 4 picks all got offers so have hope :wink:
No I don't think my interviews or test went very well - they were ok, but not anything special. I was expecting rejection too! Didn't your interview go well either?

Oh no - now I feel even worse for potentially losing you the game! :lol:

I really really really hope you get fished from the pool, you deserve it - I remember back on the old threads how unabashedly linguaphilic (sp?) you were! :smile:

As for interviews, I echo your sentiments. The probable reason for my pooling is that all aspects of my application are good but not great: my UMS is okay but not stellar, and my interviews were fine but not amazing. Ah well, only time will tell :redface:

I trust you have offers from elsewhere?
Original post by Question Mark
it will not tell you how many applicants are in the pool for your subject ie economics?

only accepted via the piol for previous years? :confused:

Well take 80 to 90% times by the number of economics applicants, and that's the number interviewed.

Then remove the number of direct offers, and you roughly get the number of people in the pool, although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected.
Pooled for Architecture from Kings, top 3 UMS average was about 83% I think, and top 4 was about 76% yeeeeeyy, I think I have the weakest grades ever to get this far, which is sort of a good thing??????
Reply 256
Original post by _Georgie
For all maths applicants in the pool: Last year, 18/28 colleges made offers for maths through the pool, giving a total of 99 offers.
That's 1/5 of everyone that gets a maths offer, so keep positive :smile:

It's a shame you can't see how many were pooled though :/

Agreed, that I'd really like to know :frown:
Original post by Matthew_Reece
Pooled for Architecture from Kings, top 3 UMS average was about 83% I think, and top 4 was about 76% yeeeeeyy, I think I have the weakest grades ever to get this far, which is sort of a good thing??????

Pooling is good, yep. They didn't have to pool you by any means, as you only get auto-pooling with 93%+, so it means they liked you enough not to reject you :smile:
People pooled from King's, how was your letter worded?
I don't like this :lol:

I can't be bothered to speculate about my chances (like there being no auto pooling for the IB or being pooled from King's) but ... I'm going to be distracted from work because I'm hoping for a call :lol:

this isn't nice :colonhash:

Latest

Trending

Trending