The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarr
Denbighshire, both living and schooling! You definitely don't go to my school though - I'm the only Oxbridge applicant there! Small world :tongue:

Ah, ours has three - MUAHAHAHAHAHA :tongue:

I did an individual investigation for the Welsh Bacc about how Welsh students never get into Oxbridge - I'd hate to prove myself right! :colondollar:
Original post by Minerva
Yes. Cambridge does not publish numbers of people pooled by college or subject.

No, because most people don't even get in to the Pool. Sorry, you're just going to have to accept that you will never know how many fishes are swimming along with you. Sorry :frown:

"although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected."

It was just for econ, the chances are not many people get rejected as the UMS scores tend to be very high, beyond the auto-pool cutoff
Reply 282
Original post by wrexhamfc
Ah, ours has three - MUAHAHAHAHAHA :tongue:

I did an individual investigation for the Welsh Bacc about how Welsh students never get into Oxbridge - I'd hate to prove myself right! :colondollar:

Oh Christ, I was told by my school's careers advisor that 'people from state schools like mine don't go to Oxbridge' - I'd like to get in just to prove the crazy woman wrong :tongue:

Admittedly we haven't got anyone in in at least 7 years- but hey!

Which college and subject have you applied for? :smile:
Pooled by Murray Edwards College for Physical Natural Sciences. UMS average<90% so no autopool :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Polymath
"although some of them will have been pooled and offered by the original college, and some of them will have been rejected."

But for Economics rejection is probably not a probability, as UMS tends to be exceptionally high, so loads of people get auto-pooled.

I think we have to assume a percentage rejection otherwise the figure is 800+ people out 1300 that originally applied.

I am beginning this is a meaningless exercis unless we know the number rejected after interview ( due to poor ums or poor interview) :confused:
Reply 285
Original post by Question Mark
this does not work! the number you get left is those pooled and rejected! am I reading this wrong?
No, you aren't :smile:
Original post by Sarr
Oh Christ, I was told by my school's careers advisor that 'people from state schools like mine don't go to Oxbridge' - I'd like to get in just to prove the crazy woman wrong :tongue:

We haven't had anyone in for four years, I think.

College: Pembroke (not that it matters anymore :wink:)
Subject: NatSci
Original post by Sarr
Denbighshire, both living and schooling! You definitely don't go to my school though - I'm the only Oxbridge applicant there! Small world :tongue:

Im from Glan Clwyd here, where you from?
we haven't had anyone in for four years, i think.

subject: Natsci

omg its tom!
Original post by Matthew_Reece

Oh hey man, how've I kept missing you on here?

Shhh, don't blow my cover :wink:
Reply 290
Original post by Matthew_Reece

Prestatyn High, I think I recognise your name actually.. Hang on- to facebook to see if we have mutual friends!

48 mutual friends, very small world!
Reply 291
Original post by Sarr

And I would like you to for exactly the same reason. It's that sort of 'advice' that makes me really, really :mad:
Reply 292
Original post by Kidioteque
Oh no - now I feel even worse for potentially losing you the game! :lol:

I really really really hope you get fished from the pool, you deserve it - I remember back on the old threads how unabashedly linguaphilic (sp?) you were! :smile:

As for interviews, I echo your sentiments. The probable reason for my pooling is that all aspects of my application are good but not great: my UMS is okay but not stellar, and my interviews were fine but not amazing. Ah well, only time will tell :redface:

I trust you have offers from elsewhere?

Ah no don't feel bad :tongue:
I'm still unabashedly linguaphilic :wink: AND ALWAYS WILL BE :subjontif:
Yep we'll just have to wait and see - my psychic sense could yet be correct :tongue:
Yes, I've got three offers and an invite to open day at UCL. Have you?
Reply 293
We haven't had anyone in for four years, I think.

Subject: NatSci

i'm at a private school and we haven't had any one for a couple of years.. and we only have 2 Cambridge applicants this year. I got pooled from Jesus and my friend got rejected from Johns..

It was just for econ, the chances are not many people get rejected as the UMS scores tend to be very high, beyond the auto-pool cutoff

I seemed to remember that someone had said that 10% of economics applicants were accepted from out of the pool. Therefore as 26 were taken from the pool last year I am going to assume piol size of around 250 to 300. From this we can assume that approx 600 are rejected following interview?
Original post by Question Mark
I seemed to remember that someone had said that 10% of economics applicants were accepted from out of the pool. Therefore as 26 were taken from the pool last year I am going to assume piol size of around 250 to 300. From this we can assume that approx 600 are rejected following interview?

Woah, that's a lot. I guess my guess was completely wrong then
Original post by Etoile
Ah no don't feel bad :tongue:
I'm still unabashedly linguaphilic :wink: AND ALWAYS WILL BE :subjontif:
Yep we'll just have to wait and see - my psychic sense could yet be correct :tongue:
Yes, I've got three offers and an invite to open day at UCL. Have you?

Ah great, open day invite basically means you're in, right? So even if the pool doesn't work out for you you've got great places to go! :smile:

I've got just the two offers, but fortunately one is from my second choice: LSE :smile: Other offer is Bristol, which is likely to be my insurance.
Original post by Minerva
x

I've never read your name as Minerva. Always 'Minevara' or 'Nivera'.

Why?
Reply 298
Does anyone have an educated guess about when it might all kick off regarding re-interviews and direct offers? After the 3pm deadline tomorrow for colleges sound about right?
Woah, that's a lot. I guess my guess was completely wrong then

I guess the question is why di we do this to ourselves? I think it is better we chill out and if we are meant to go to Cambridge then we will. Otherwise there are fantastic unis out there and life will go on :shakehand::shakehand::shakehand:

Latest

Trending

Trending