The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I've never read your name as Minerva. Always 'Minevara' or 'Nivera'.

Why?
:dontknow:

Original post by jh.
Does anyone have an educated guess about when it might all kick off regarding re-interviews and direct offers? After the 3pm deadline tomorrow for colleges sound about right?
Probably :smile:
This is now a brilliant excuse for my teachers as to why I haven't done any revision
Anyone else find it really disconcerting knowing that we are being talked about by some of the greatest Academics in the UK? ... Just me then.
Reply 303
Original post by Question Mark
I seemed to remember that someone had said that 10% of economics applicants were accepted from out of the pool. Therefore as 26 were taken from the pool last year I am going to assume piol size of around 250 to 300. From this we can assume that approx 600 are rejected following interview?
If that's really the statistic you been given, where did it come from? I have never seen any figures for poolees by subject, or college. All we can do at that level of detail is work out what proportion of all the offers made for a given subject went to poolees. Check out the OP for some more on this.

Original post by The Polymath
Woah, that's a lot. I guess my guess was completely wrong then
see above :smile:
Original post by Question Mark
I guess the question is why di we do this to ourselves? I think it is better we chill out and if we are meant to go to Cambridge then we will. Otherwise there are fantastic unis out there and life will go on :shakehand::shakehand::shakehand:

:five:
Reply 305
Original post by Matthew_Reece
This is now a brilliant excuse for my teachers as to why I haven't done any revision

Same :colone:
Does anyone know the deadline for colleges to select students for the Winter Pool or making offers? A couple of people I know haven't received anything yet and they're starting to get worried they haven't got anything :s-smilie:
Original post by Stardust95
Anyone else find it really disconcerting knowing that we are being talked about by some of the greatest Academics in the UK? ... Just me then.

*in the world :frown:
Reply 308
Come on rejection :biggrin:
Original post by Rhiannonymous
Does anyone know the deadline for colleges to select students for the Winter Pool or making offers? A couple of people I know haven't received anything yet and they're starting to get worried they haven't got anything :s-smilie:

The pool closed today. They'll tell you if you have an interview or offer over the next couple of weeks, but some colleges may have told students straight away, or might email/phone over the weekend.
I think everyone needs to look away from the fact that they have been put into the winter pool and look at how well everyone has done so far. Everyone here has studied their way into gaining 90%+ UMS and beaten the odds. Most applicants are just binned immediately and don't even get an interview, and you are the 1/5 that got put into the winter pool after their interview. Everyone on here has managed to get to this stage and even if they don't get a place or even another interview everyone should be really proud of themselves and remember that you have made it this far which many people have not. You are the few out of the 15,913 total applicants this year who have made it to this stage, so you should be really proud and thankful that you have made it this far. And the best of luck to getting through the next stage :tongue:
Original post by Minerva
:dontknow:

I think I like my other renditions of your username. I hope you don't mind :tongue:
Reply 312
Original post by Rhiannonymous
All decision letters were meant to have gone out yesterday. If your friends still haven't heard anything by tomorrow a call to the college concerned would not be inappropriate. This ONLY applies to people who have not received anything at all. People in the Pool should not attempt to contact their college or any other college or department at this stage.
Original post by grammar12
I think everyone needs to look away from the fact that they have been put into the winter pool and look at how well everyone has done so far. Everyone here has studied their way into gaining 90%+ UMS and beaten the odds. Most applicants are just binned immediately and don't even get an interview, and you are the 1/5 that got put into the winter pool after their interview. Everyone on here has managed to get to this stage and even if they don't get a place or even another interview everyone should be really proud of themselves and remember that you have made it this far which many people have not. You are the few out of the 15,913 total applicants this year who have made it to this stage, so you should be really proud and thankful that you have made it this far. And the best of luck to getting through the next stage :tongue:

Not everyone here :frown:
Reply 314
Original post by Minerva
All decision letters were meant to have gone out yesterday. If your friends still haven't heard anything by tomorrow a call to the college concerned would not be inappropriate. This ONLY applies to people who have not received anything at all. People in the Pool should not attempt to contact their college or any other college or department at this stage.

What happens if we contact them?
Reply 315
Original post by Zhy
What happens if we contact them?
You won't get anything out of them, and you'll just annoy the admin people. The guidance for poolees explicitly asks you not to contact the college unless there is a specific and urgent reason to do so. Being on tenterhooks doesn't count, I'm afraid :frown:
Reply 316
I've been pooled by Peterhouse for Philosophy which is actually a pleasant surprise as my average UMS is well below average and I got a B in Philosophy last year (yes, the subject I want to study) so I never even expected an interview! This has given me a real appreciation for even being considered. My chances are looking pretty horrendous though with my record but who knows! Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 317
Original post by Kidioteque
Ah great, open day invite basically means you're in, right? So even if the pool doesn't work out for you you've got great places to go! :smile:

I've got just the two offers, but fortunately one is from my second choice: LSE :smile: Other offer is Bristol, which is likely to be my insurance.

I hope so :lol:
Wow LSE! Awesome :biggrin: LSE is definitely impressive :yep:
Reply 318
Pooled by King's for ChemEng via NatSci. I was expecting it so feel kind of empty right now. I hope I get fished!
~94% UMS and a girl (:colone:)
Reply 319
Im just so surprised Ive been pooled; the number of applicants at my college for my subject was well below that of previous years, only just above the number of offers they usually give out in fact! I would have thought i would have been accepted or rejected... Doesnt give me much hope :/ Interviews were awful (especially the DoS one which is more important, the tutor one was mediocre) and my ums is pretty low comparatively (87%). Honestly dont understand how I have even been pooled. So odd. Now keeping fingers crossed for a miracle :crossedf:

Latest

Trending

Trending