The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Congratulations to everyone here :smile:

I'm desperately looking for someone who is NatSci for Christ's college!
Feel free to pm me, it'd be great to get to know someone before October comes around :smile:
Reply 101
Original post by bananarama2
I'm terrible at languages, so that'd be a no no. I too would like to do some kind of water sport. I already sail, but I'd like to try rowing. Having not done it before though I'd have not Idea where to go or anything.

Uni is going to be a whole new world :biggrin:

Ah I was thinking more water polo, but to be honest not even sure they offer it.. I haven't been seriously expecting to get a place so I didn't research anything apart from the actual course :tongue:
I know right, it will be so incredible just to have the freedom, quality teaching, new experiences and to be surrounded by passionate people :smile:

Original post by Oboe1994
Aye, well kind of, I'm still doing advanced higher German but that's just so I can get government funding for my oboe lessons... It's complicated :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I think my brother may have done something similar where he would get free music lessons provided he proved school attendance of some sort? Possibly similar?
Have you been on a gap year otherwise then?
Wait are you an applicant? Re this I got told it was great I'd done it early and there was no way it would be held against me, but I still needed to be taking 3 a2s in one year and get the whole of the offer just on that to show I could cope with workload.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im still in year12, okay thanks! The amount of people who have told me that doing maths Alevel early is suicide has panicked me
Reply 103
Peterhouse medicine, anyone!
Reply 104
Original post by KrystynaW

Ah I think my brother may have done something similar where he would get free music lessons provided he proved school attendance of some sort? Possibly similar?
Have you been on a gap year otherwise then?

Sounds about right :smile: yeah not really doing much other than stressing over applications... i'ma have a long period of slacking off til October now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 105
Original post by hogwartian1993
I already have my A2 grades? I'm a gap year student, I got A*A*A x

Out of interest, why did you take a gap-year? and what subjects did you get them in? I'm considering a gap-year quite seriously
Original post by raiden95
Im doing the exact same subjects as you, and I'm also doing maths a2 in year12 which you've already done. But they won't like me as much because I did maths AS in high school :frown:

I doubt they'll care very much, if the college is nice they'll let you count the grade you get in Maths in your offer - if their policy is to not include A-Levels already completed then you'd probably get the A*AA normal one. You can usually only get unconditional if you've already got the grades i.e. you've done a gap year etc.
Original post by azurial

Feel free to pm me, it'd be great to get to know someone before October comes around :smile:

I've got an offer for medicine at Christ's, and my best friend has an offer for NatSci, but she doesn't have TSR.

There were 2 NatScis earlier on this thread?
Ah I was thinking more water polo, but to be honest not even sure they offer it.. I haven't been seriously expecting to get a place so I didn't research anything apart from the actual course :tongue:
I know right, it will be so incredible just to have the freedom, quality teaching, new experiences and to be surrounded by passionate people :smile:

Yep. There's a water polo society. Neither did I to be honest...

They do offer it. Tbh if they offer tiddlywinks you'd expect them to offer water polo :wink:
Original post by ukdragon37

What do you do when you aren't intellectually crucifying us or working?
What do you do when you aren't intellectually crucifying us or working?

In actual fact I'm a flautist :flute:
Original post by raiden95
Well If i were to apply for Physics that would be maths related? This is a problem isn't it

The closest thing to Physics is Physical Natural Sciences or Maths With Physics, so my answer is going to assume an application to one of those.

The thing which Cambridge dislike about doing Maths early is that your skills go rusty if you don't use them, which is the reason gap years tend to be discouraged for the subject. As such, if you do all of your Maths by the end of year 12, they're not going to like it. However, I don't believe it would count against you if you were doing Further Maths in the A2 year, as your Maths skills stay sufficiently fresh and Further Maths is mandatory for Maths/Physics and either mandatory or highly desirable for PhysNatSci anyway. As such, my advice would be to do Further Maths in Year 13 (If you're not already) to keep yourself sharp. There's also the possibility that they ask you to take STEP if they're not sufficiently satisfied in their assessment of your mathematical ability.

(Disclaimer: I am not a Cambridge Admissions Tutor, and my suggestions are not necessarily representative of what actually happens, so take them with a pinch of salt. :tongue: )
Reply 113
They do offer it. Tbh if they offer tiddlywinks you'd expect them to offer water polo :wink:

Wow I can't believe that's an actual thing pahaha, that's hilarious..

Sounds about right :smile: yeah not really doing much other than stressing over applications... i'ma have a long period of slacking off til October now :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am incredibly jealous, but obviously you've done your hard graft already to get in... I cannot wait till exams are over!

Sounds good :smile: I want to try so many things out ...
Reply 114

Already studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by azurial

Hey :smile: I'm not Christ's college but I've also got an offer for NatSci, I think I saw you on the NatSci thread? Biological right?

Wow! Do you play in any of the orchestras?
Already studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:yep: Fourth year.

Wow! Do you play in any of the orchestras?

Used to in college orchestra, but recently I stopped because of work. Looking to start again but in a uni orchestra like the Philharmonic though. Also I play Bridge sometimes too.
:/ one of my friends is doing 3 sciences and music and has an offer for engineering which says he needs a B in music?

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is so strange. :s-smilie: Do you know which college that's for?

Used to in college orchestra, but recently I stopped because of work. Looking to start again but in a uni orchestra like the Philharmonic though. Also I play Bridge sometimes too.

You must be really good, I'm guessing Grade 8 Distinction? (I failed my grade 8 ruling out orchestra possibilities). I have no idea how to play that :lol: I have a feeling this is going to be a whole new experience.

Latest

Trending

Trending