The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Original post by eelnais
Congratulations and commiserations guys! :biggrin: You have made me so nervous about Oxford. :tongue:

I know, I would be really worried about having to go to Oxford as well.
Original post by lsd95
Yes! May have seen each other around! I was the Spanish girl with the pony tail, interviewed in the afternoon, haha

Laura? (forgive the spelling) if it is who I'm thinking of you stayed in Downing on the 10th and you came into our room to borrow a make up wipe? We were neighbours haha x
oooohhhooo its #3... Seems we've done well this year.
Reply 603
Pooled pooled pooled. I'm not going to get in as I have ridiculously low UMS grades (got A*AAA as a post A-level applicant but due to not-very-nice mitigating circumstances I got Bs in some of my modules). I feel so sad as this basically means it's over - no-one will want me with the grades and mitigating circumstances that I have. :'(
Reply 604
Original post by Bord3r
I know, I would be really worried about having to go to Oxford as well.

Touché, my friend, touché. :wink:
Reply 605
Original post by T_x
Pooled pooled pooled. I'm not going to get in as I have ridiculously low UMS grades (got A*AAA as a post A-level applicant but due to not-very-nice mitigating circumstances I got Bs in some of my modules). I feel so sad as this basically means it's over - no-one will want me with the grades and mitigating circumstances that I have. :'(

A*AAA isn't ridiculously low!! and if you were pooled with low it means you managed to stand out at interview :smile:. Don't give up hope just yet. And Cambridge will have been informed about the mitigating circumstances so just hold on tight!
Original post by _Georgie
Welcome to the maths pool! There's quite a few of us by the looks of it. My avg. is 93%, pooled from Pembroke, so I'm in a pretty similar position.
I'm seeing it as a strong position, but yeah I don't know if my optimism would last past the weekend...

Hey! What're you thinking of your chances then? Feeling sorta down about it, but hey that's life!
Second night now of endless anxiousness and anticipation :{ God damn postal service.
Reply 608
Original post by susseruss
A*AAA isn't ridiculously low!! and if you were pooled with low it means you managed to stand out at interview :smile:. Don't give up hope just yet. And Cambridge will have been informed about the mitigating circumstances so just hold on tight!

Sorry, I just realised how conceited that made me sound regarding grades - but my teachers at school told me that they just weren't good enough, hence the worry from my side. I was rejected last year for the same subject (from a different college) and so I suppose I'm just a little surprised that they saw any potential in me in the first place, but because of that I'm also thinking that it's a 'pity pool.' Argh!!! Thank you for the support though, I really appreciate it :smile:
guys i passed my driving test this morning then came home to find out King's had pooled me! :biggrin: :biggrin:
so happy! such a good day! well done to everyone with offers, you all sound really deserving of them! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 610
Original post by T_x
Sorry, I just realised how conceited that made me sound regarding grades - but my teachers at school told me that they just weren't good enough, hence the worry from my side. I was rejected last year for the same subject (from a different college) and so I suppose I'm just a little surprised that they saw any potential in me in the first place, but because of that I'm also thinking that it's a 'pity pool.' Argh!!! Thank you for the support though, I really appreciate it :smile:

Honestly, there's no such thing as a pity pool :P You were good enough to be in competition for a place, but the college didn't have space. The constraint now is whether colleges have space for more applicants, not whether you're good enough for Cambridge.

I'm going to repeat this in fancy eye-catching type: You are good enough for Cambridge - being put into the pool (especially without autopooling on your side!) has proved that. Now we just have to hope for good news from another college.
Reply 611
First of congratulations to all of you who have received offers today, it has been a testing and fraught journey for you all who applied. I admire your courage and confidence for putting your selves forward in such a public way and thus open to either "Congratulations" or possibly, "Never mind, it will be okay..."
Just to say I am the parent of an extremely talented, academically and everythingwise daughter who received a rejection letter today, which actually freed her from making the decision between choosing the university over the course. There does seem to be a randomness over decisions made re admissions, with so many excellent applicants it is probably inevitable and not meant in any way to sour grapes anyone with offers, rather to say to those who missed out, their loss and to remind them there are wonderful, challenging experiences beyond Cambridge. Best wishes to you all.
Reply 612
Original post by lp386
Honestly, there's no such thing as a pity pool :P You were good enough to be in competition for a place, but the college didn't have space. The constraint now is whether colleges have space for more applicants, not whether you're good enough for Cambridge.

I'm going to repeat this in fancy eye-catching type: You are good enough for Cambridge - being put into the pool (especially without autopooling on your side!) has proved that. Now we just have to hope for good news from another college.

Thank you so much for that reassurance! I need to stop thinking so negatively all the time - it's just rather scary when you are personally told that you have a 'slimmer chance than normal candidates' by your secondary school!!! I just hope someone sees something in me, but my worry is that they'll just look at the fact that I haven't done as well grades-wise as other applicants (although I am retaking the exams I got As in to try and boost my application) and then ignore me.
Reply 613
Original post by •Ball•So•Hard•
Hey! What're you thinking of your chances then? Feeling sorta down about it, but hey that's life!

I'm feeling pretty good, since i know my life chances are just as sweet with my UCL offer :tongue:
My optimism for Cambridge will surely fade if I haven't heard anything by Monday though, I'd say my chances are very slim by then. Just stick out the weekend and see what happens! You shouldn't feel down, I'd bet that you'll be fished. You certainly will be if I am :smile:

Edit: Just realised that I think I feel better about my Cambridge application now than I did in the wait after interviews!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 614
Original post by T_x
Thank you so much for that reassurance! I need to stop thinking so negatively all the time - it's just rather scary when you are personally told that you have a 'slimmer chance than normal candidates' by your secondary school!!! I just hope someone sees something in me, but my worry is that they'll just look at the fact that I haven't done as well grades-wise as other applicants (although I am retaking the exams I got As in to try and boost my application) and then ignore me.

I think the extenuating circumstances are key here - clearly they were impressed enough with the grades that you got under the circumstances. It's just up to other colleges to see whether they take a punt on you or not. Schools don't necessarily get the balance (neither do we, frankly - it remains a mystery!)
Reply 615
Original post by lp386
I think the extenuating circumstances are key here - clearly they were impressed enough with the grades that you got under the circumstances. It's just up to other colleges to see whether they take a punt on you or not. Schools don't necessarily get the balance (neither do we, frankly - it remains a mystery!)

Thank you - the annoying thing is that I basically didn't receive any help until the day after I completed my A-levels, when I finally went to the doctor. I know that I love fast-paced and competitive environments such as the one at Cambs. I was proud with the results I attained under the circumstances, but I just hope that the university takes what I have to say on board and recognises that I am ready for hard work and wouldn't struggle - I'm nearly recovered now and it's only been 4 months!
Anyone know if a Facebook group will take off any time soon? :smile:
When the colleges are considering pooled applicants, do they know whether the candidate has been auto-pooled or pooled for other reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still nothing from Clare! And it looks like they've notified people by email so I'm not sure I should email them, especially since I'm international and they seem to have automatically emailed international applicants. And it's past midnight in the UK so I'l have to wait for ages before I hear anything D: Anyone else from Clare hasn't heard anything yet?
Original post by Hebbamundo
When the colleges are considering pooled applicants, do they know whether the candidate has been auto-pooled or pooled for other reasons?

Posted from TSR Mobile

See the pool document. They may be able to tell from the information on the coversheet of the file.

Latest

Trending

Trending