The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Allahu Akbar
No worries, understandable - she came out with such a load of *******s about the interviews etc. Yeah I was expecting it as well after a distinctly average interview, especiallywhen I found out natsci at pembroke this year has over a 7 to 1 application to acceptance rate (assuming intake doesn't change this year). I just couldn't help seeing that little glimpse of hope. Am I right in saying you applied there too? Would be interesting to know how many of us were pooled.

Yep, (ex-)Pembroke NatSci here. When were you down for your interviews? I think I saw on another thread that a Biological applicant here got an offer, but yeah, we'll assume everyone else is in the pool too :tongue:
Pooled by Clare-the one outcome from today that I really could have done without.
Original post by AbominableSnowman
Pooled by Clare-the one outcome from today that I really could have done without.

Still better than an outright rejection!
Reply 363
Hey, are you more likely to get an offer if you were pooled by a certain college, if so which ones generally?
Reply 364
Pooled by Downing for Geography, and I'm receiving my IB DP final results on Sunday. Feeling rather anxious at the moment!
Good luck to all of you:smile:
Original post by wrexhamfc
Yep, (ex-)Pembroke NatSci here. When were you down for your interviews? I think I saw on another thread that a Biological applicant here got an offer, but yeah, we'll assume everyone else is in the pool too :tongue:

I was down on the 4th, what about you? I had Huggins and French. Yeah, it would be nice if they've pooled all of us because we're just too damn good and they need more time to separate us (overly optimistic, I know). What part of your application do you think was weak if you don't mind me asking :colondollar:
Original post by BC123
Hey, are you more likely to get an offer if you were pooled by a certain college, if so which ones generally?

I hope not.. I got pooled by Homerton :s
Reply 367
Original post by Minerva
And will be :smile:

Seriously, don't worry. I got the sense last year that emails were becoming more common (maybe people got upset about the college phone bills :tongue:) in any case. The likelihood is that college tutors have been told very firmly that they can't contact anyone until the CAO produces the final lists, so while we may get rare examples of jumping the gun, most won't do anything until after 3pm.

See above. I certainly wouldn't spend £10 on a phone unless you need it anyway.

As Macda points out, the decisions about offer or interview have been made and aren't going to be changed because you don't happen to answer your mobile. They'll just email you instead - so remember to check your spam folders. We had at least one case last year of someone who hadn't checked suddenly finding an email with good news in it that had been sitting there for some hours :smile:

Thanks for replying, that's good to know! I didn't realise that the 3pm stated would be a strict rule, so at least now I can happily sleep in until midday (catch up on last nights sleep) without thinking I'll have missed something :smile:
One last question - as the pool has already happened, why might someone not hear very soon and be left waiting until near the end? Assuming they're eventually fished, I mean.
Original post by BC123

only more likely in the sense that it is more likely that a heavily oversubscribed college for that course will pool more "strong" candidates which you are thus more likely to be one of

tbh it isnt really worth agonising over
Original post by BC123

Not really but 'better' applicants are more likely to be pooled by oversubscribed colleges, obviously, but being from a certain college doesn't give you an advantage.
Does anyone know if you are less likely to get an offer if you have been auto-pooled?
Original post by BC123

Arguably the more competitive ones because theoretically they receive more applicants of the 'Cambridge standard' (well that's what I'm hoping anyway) but i guess we must remember that statistics lie, they never really apply accurately to isolated situations, so essentially what I'm saying is its certainly not going to affect the decision of the fisherman. Good luck
Original post by Allahu Akbar
I was down on the 4th, what about you? I had Huggins and French. Yeah, it would be nice if they've pooled all of us because we're just too damn good and they need more time to separate us (overly optimistic, I know). What part of your application do you think was weak if you don't mind me asking :colondollar:

Ah, I was there on the 3rd. French was in my interview actually - she didn't say a word, it was so intimidating! My interviewers were Payne and Koziol (Dr Koziol was lovely, has to be said :redface:). I made a complete mess of my first interview, if I had to pinpoint anything. Maybe only having two full science A-levels too.
Original post by Stardust95
Still better than an outright rejection!

In a sense yes it is, or at least that's what they keep telling me. But the one thing I wanted above all else from today was closure, and as we all know the words "pool" and "closure" are by no means interchangeable.
Reply 374
Original post by AbominableSnowman
In a sense yes it is, or at least that's what they keep telling me. But the one thing I wanted above all else from today was closure, and as we all know the words "pool" and "closure" are by no means interchangeable.

Well we've waited a month or so since the interview itself so what difference does a couple of days extra make, right? :smile:
Reply 375
Oh I don't think I've said - Good Luck to everyone :smile:
Original post by jh.
Well we've waited a month or so since the interview itself so what difference does a couple of days extra make, right? :smile:

:unimpressed: :banghead: :damnmate: :cry2: :afraid: :no:
Ah, I was there on the 3rd. French was in my interview actually - she didn't say a word, it was so intimidating! My interviewers were Payne and Koziol (Dr Koziol was lovely, has to be said :redface:). I made a complete mess of my first interview, if I had to pinpoint anything. Maybe only having two full science A-levels too.

In both of my interviews I had just one. Huggins, quite a decent guy, honestly seemed bored throughout my interview, right from the start, which I found off putting and that only lasted 20 minutes. I came out thinking he must have been certain I wasn't what they were looking for as I certainly didn't shine in the interview. French was really nice though, it was almost like an informal chat with her, she must be the least intimidating interviewer in cambridge!
Reply 378
:unimpressed: :banghead: :damnmate: :cry2: :afraid: :no:

i said what i said but this^ more accurately describes me today haha. I sat and checked my emails for literally half an hour of refreshing..
Original post by jh.

If you say so my friend.

Latest

Trending

Trending