The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Sneijder is not coming to United. It's not going to happen. As Doggyfizzel says, Kagawa took his place. This book is closed.
Reply 221
Sneijder is a bit past it but he is at the age where it can easily come back. I certainly wouldnt mind him for a low price and decent wages. Could very easily do very well in a deep lying playmaker role. He has the physicality (e.g. a reason Kagawa atm wouldnt fit) and certainly has the technique and ability.

I mean bloody hell its not even than improbable he could get near to his world class form, and thats a form that atm pushes Kagawa out of his place.
Reply 222
What about Wilfred Zaha? Lots of rumours about him.
Who needs Wesley when we've got Cleverley? as the sign said few seasons ago, at West Brom I believe.

Sniejder blew his chance, not going to get it again unless the fee is miminally cheap and he drops his wages to average amount. Spurs could be the option for him I reckon, they surprised everybody few January transfer windows ago when they swooped for Van der Vaart, they might do so again.

Zaha is the only transfer that we MIGHT do to push away other enquirers but other than that, not expecting anything as SAF.

As for tomorrow's game, expecting Lindegaard, Vidic to return, possibly RVP to be benched ahead of the Liverpool match? I'd really like for us to win the FA Cup, haven't done so at the new Wembley.
Reply 224
544979_10151235330602746_1598769190_n.jpgAndo is back in training! :biggrin:
Reply 225
SAF commented on the Fryers deal. Seems a bit disappointed and said it should be looked into.

Hard to disagree. However it is at the end of the day just another, albeit more unfair than usual, example of opportunism in the system. Doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be looked at though i suppose.
Original post by Aky786UK
Who needs Wesley when we've got Cleverley? as the sign said few seasons ago, at West Brom I believe.

Sniejder blew his chance, not going to get it again unless the fee is miminally cheap and he drops his wages to average amount. Spurs could be the option for him I reckon, they surprised everybody few January transfer windows ago when they swooped for Van der Vaart, they might do so again.

Zaha is the only transfer that we MIGHT do to push away other enquirers but other than that, not expecting anything as SAF.

As for tomorrow's game, expecting Lindegaard, Vidic to return, possibly RVP to be benched ahead of the Liverpool match? I'd really like for us to win the FA Cup, haven't done so at the new Wembley.

Van der Vaart joined in the summer transfer window in the last hour or so. However your point still stands.

I think if we give RvP a 'rest' he should still be on the bench. It wouldn't be too good if we couldn't get a result tomorrow. It would be nice to actually do well in the FA cup again.
Reply 227
Original post by Tommyjw
SAF commented on the Fryers deal. Seems a bit disappointed and said it should be looked into.

Hard to disagree. However it is at the end of the day just another, albeit more unfair than usual, example of opportunism in the system. Doesn't necessarily mean it shouldn't be looked at though i suppose.

Absolutely 100000% disagree with you and agree with Fergie. It needs looking at, eventhough Spurs haven't done anything wrong by the book, it's an unscrupulous activity and needs to be looked at so that it doesn't become a common activity. You guys aren't to bothered about it as it does really affect United (what's 3m to a mother****er like United :colondollar:),but imagine a situation where the same is done with a player like Zaha.

It is seriously digusting and the whole thing is akin to tax avaiodance and hope it brings shame to Spurs and S.Leige.

I imagine Levy is quite proud of himself. He's gotten one over the Mafia.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 228
Original post by 419
Absolutely 100000% disagree with you and agree with Fergie. It needs looking at, eventhough Spurs haven't done anything wrong by the book, it's an unscrupulous activity and needs to be looked at so that it doesn't become a common activity. You guys aren't to bothered about it as it does really affect United (what's 3m to a mother****er like United :colondollar:),but imagine a situation where the same is done with a player like Zaha.

It is seriously digusting and the whole thing is akin to tax avaiodance and hope it brings shame to Spurs and S.Leige.

I imagine Levy is quite proud of himself. He's gotten one over the Mafia.

I basically said i agree with him . 'Hard to disagree'. :P
Reply 229
Original post by Tommyjw
I basically said i agree with him . 'Hard to disagree'. :P

I defiently deserve one of these :facepalm2:
Reply 230
Was just reading about the 'Webster ruling' on Wikipedia, seems to suggest that players can buy themselves out of their contract if they signed it over 3 years ago, and if they are over 28- 2 years ago. I know it's a long shot, but if ronaldo doesn't sign a new contract then by the summer he could pay himself out of contract (1-2 years of 12 million a year), we could sign him up for free and re-emburse him (ie 12-24 million)

Unless I misunderstand the rule.

"Article 17
Article 17 of FIFA's Regulations for the Status and Transfer of Players is entitled "Consequences of Terminating a Contract Without Just Cause", and is the fifth article of Chapter IV, "Maintenance of Contractual Stability between Professionals and Clubs". It outlines the provisions which apply if a contract is terminated without just cause, and the requirement for the party in breach to pay compensation.[9]Specifically, it states that any player who signed a contract before the age of 28 can buy himself out of the contract three years after the deal was signed. If he is 28 or older the time limit is shortened to two years.[10][11] Article 17 was introduced in December 2004, with effect from 1 July 2005.[12]"

He signed it 3 and a half years ago, so it could happen.... That's why players always continually sign extensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
We should sell Vidic
Original post by UnknownGuy
We should sell Vidic

Now why should we do such a silly thing as that? :holmes:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20912516

Contains a nice interview with VDS from 3:40-8:30.
Original post by SirMasterKey
Now why should we do such a silly thing as that? :holmes:

Sell him to chelsea for free. :troll:
If Valencia keeps under-performing, I think Rafael should be played on the wing, with Smalling/Jones behind him, especially against the stronger teams. Could work nicely against Madrid, especially to tame Ronaldo down their left side.
Reply 236
Original post by Kenan and Kel
If Valencia keeps under-performing, I think Rafael should be played on the wing, with Smalling/Jones behind him, especially against the stronger teams. Could work nicely against Madrid, especially to tame Ronaldo down their left side.

its a good idea, i sense valencia will play well against madrid. he hasn't been consistent this season, but he has played well in our big games, was excellent against both chelsea and city.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 237
He was okay against Chelsea and City. Neither were close to the performances last season which made him our player of the season.

I look forward to Nani coming back
Reply 238
Original post by Tommyjw
He was okay against Chelsea and City. Neither were close to the performances last season which made him our player of the season.

I look forward to Nani coming back

Your right, he hasnt been as good as last season, but what he offers is industry in both attack and defence and this is key in the big games. I think he is trying too hard to add more to his game, what he was good at last season was hitting it hard and early across the face of goal, too often now he stops or tries to cut inside and ends up getting closed down.
We will need the partnership of valencia and rafael to exploit the space behind ronaldo and to contain marcelo and ronaldo, in a similiar fashion to how we did against cole and hazard/clichy and david silva. If i remember rightly in both the city and chelsea games all 4 of the open play goals came from crosses from the right, with rafael and valencia overlapping to dominate their full back.

i took look forward to nani coming back, one of my favourite players who offers something different, some flair and creativity, but not enough tracking back for when we play teams that dominate the wings...
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 239
XI: De Gea, Rafael, Evans, Vidic, Smalling, Buttner, Scholes, Cleverley, Kagawa, Welbeck, Chicharito.

Subs: Lindegaard, Ferdinand, Valencia, Giggs, Young, Macheda, RvP

Either Buttner is LW or Rafael is RW. Either way, decent line-up.
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest