The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hugo Rune
I'm guessing that the problem is location/availability - at least this is the problem for me. If all you've got nearby is multiplexes, which have a very narrow range of what they show, then those are the choices in films you have. Can't do anything about it, I just have to content myself to waiting for the smaller gems to come out for a reasonable price on DVD.

Original post by Abiraleft
Same. :sadnod:

That's too bad. I guess I am lucky. Work in London and live in Oxford. Well served with quality cinemas.

Although to be fair, my earlier comment was in response to someone who said he'd not heard of half the films I mentioned. I can see that you may find it hard to get to see a film, but surely anyone who claims to be a "film fanatic" should be hearing about them (BBC FiveLive, Empire magazine etc)
Same. :sadnod:

Heh, I can't complain too much - at least these films are fairly readily available on DVD!
Reply 8002
Heh, I can't complain too much - at least these films are fairly readily available on DVD!

Amazon does make things a little easier, I suppose.

Plato's Trousers

That's too bad. I guess I am lucky. Work in London and live in Oxford. Well served with quality cinemas.

Although to be fair, my earlier comment was in response to someone who said he'd not heard of half the films I mentioned. I can see that you may find it hard to get to see a film, but surely anyone who claims to be a "film fanatic" should be hearing about them (BBC FiveLive, Empire magazine etc)
31 Minutes Ago 20:29

Fair enough. I tend not to mind because I was very much a latecomer to films and cinema, so I can sort of identify with not knowing about any of that. :p: I'm a keen learner now, though! :o:
Original post by Plato's Trousers

Oxford/London is a pretty sweet combo.

Completely agree. Which reminds me that the good doctor is on now! Thanks :biggrin:
Oxford/London is a pretty sweet combo.

Completely agree. Which reminds me that the good doctor is on now! Thanks :biggrin:

He is indeed. I listen to the podcast version.

To any of you who are unaware of Dr Kermode's film review program - Friday afternoon, Five Live is a must for any budding cinéaste

Hello to Jason Isaacs
Reply 8005
He is indeed. I listen to the podcast version.

To any of you who are unaware of Dr Kermode's film review program - Friday afternoon, Five Live is a must for any budding cinéaste

Hello to Jason Isaacs

Listening to the pod as I type. Have had some reviews read out in the past. :h:
Original post by aja89
Listening to the pod as I type. Have had some reviews read out in the past. :h:

Have you indeed? :five:
Just saw Wonder Boys, beautiful performance by Michael Douglas imo btw, and omg Katie Holmes was sooooooooooooo pretty!
Reply 8008
Original post by danny111
Just saw Wonder Boys, beautiful performance by Michael Douglas imo btw, and omg Katie Holmes was sooooooooooooo pretty!

Was she any good at acting? :p:
Was she any good at acting? :p:

Don't try and complicate matters. :wink:
Reply 8010
Don't try and complicate matters. :wink:

I remember cringing quite a lot during Batman Begins. :p: It was especially painful when Cillian Murphy - whom I thought was very good and is good in general - got zapped by her. Felt very wrong.
I remember cringing quite a lot during Batman Begins. :p: It was especially painful when Cillian Murphy - whom I thought was very good and is good in general - got zapped by her. Felt very wrong.

aww... she's not so bad really. Better than many of these bimbos they put in movies merely to decorate the screen. And she did have the good sense to finally ditch that idiot she was married to.
aww... she's not so bad really. Better than many of these bimbos they put in movies merely to decorate the screen. And she did have the good sense to finally ditch that idiot she was married to.

Indeed.
I expected Pitch Perfect to be funnier. Still a decent film though.
Reply 8014
Original post by Colonel.

Off topic, but I LOVE your avatar :biggrin:
Original post by Colonel.

Good to know, someone else on here said that it was bad, so I wasn't sure if I should watch it, but will now. I really like Anna Kendrick, how did you think she was in it?
Anyone who watches Zero Dark Thirty and comes away thinking it's any kind of endorsement of torture is mentally unsound and violently stupid.
Original post by Christien
Anyone who watches Zero Dark Thirty and comes away thinking it's any kind of endorsement of torture is mentally unsound and violently stupid.

People are stupid. Same story with video games, someone kills people and you find out he was playing shooting games, suddenly those games will make all of us violent killers.
Reply 8018
Quartet was perfectly pleasant but ultimately unmemorable.
"I'll tell you a riddle. You're waiting for a train, a train that will take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you don't know for sure. But it doesn't matter. How can it not matter to you where that train will take you?".

Saw it on blu ray for like the 50th time. One of my favourite films :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest