The Student Room Group

Torn between Durham and Nottingham for Pharmacy.

I've received offers for Pharmacy at Durham and Nottingham, but I'm really torn between them two.
I understand that Durham is a new course and hasn't been accredited yet, how do you think that will affect it in terms of employability?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Before i thought about doing chemistry, i wanted to do pharamcy, i've been to visit Nottingham's department and its a very good uni and they certainly talk well about employability also they are next door to Queen's Medical Centre so you will get plenty of experience!
The CEO of Glaxosmithkline is the Chancellor at Nottingham. :biggrin: make of that what you will.
Reply 3
Original post by Meat is Murder
The CEO of Glaxosmithkline is the Chancellor at Nottingham. :biggrin: make of that what you will.

oh I've read that before, but didn't he study economics? :P
Reply 4
Nottingham University is closely linked to Jesse Boot (that is, Mr "Boot's the Chemist").
Reply 5
Notts
Reply 6
Nottingham.
Reply 7
Nottingham
Reply 8
Go to Notts! I'm a first year pharmacy student and I love it :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 9
Original post by Freiheit
Notts

Original post by QueenVic92

Why do you call it Notts when it is the University of Nottingham, not the University of Nottinghamshire? Notts is the shortened form of Nottinghamshire, not Nottingham.

Anyway, moved to Pharmacy.

Edit: - Was a perfectly reasonable question but seems to have generated some anger...

Anyway here is the reply that I intended to make originally but, if I'm honest, couldn't be arsed as I was unwell at the time.

I mean this in the least condescending way possible, but your belief that Durham has more "potential", or that it is significantly more prestigious presumably because it is a relatively few places above Nottingham in the league tables is not uncommon among applicants, but it's false. Any additional prestige Durham has is largely superficial (it's pretty and old).

University league tables fluctuate. Durham was top five/ten in the first few years of tables before falling into the teens in the late 90s. Nottingham rose and maintained a high top five/top ten. Now Durham is back up to 5th - 8th and Nottingham is late teens/early 20s. Who knows if this will be reversed again in five or ten years time. Besides, the difference of 10 or even 20 places in a league table isn't sufficient. All Russell Group universities are broadly comparable, including Durham and Nottingham.

It is arguable how much prestige really matters, especially in Pharmacy. However, Nottingham, as already mentioned, is firmly established in Pharmacy. It may still be worth considering "general" reputation, just in case you decide against going into Pharmacy and go for a different graduate career when you finish your degree. However, employers will not sit there with a league table. Any preconceptions that have will have been formed by the status of universities when they were a student, and the graduates they have employed since. Even here there is no real difference.

Durham will not provide any greater employment prospects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Shenin...
I've received offers for Pharmacy at Durham and Nottingham, but I'm really torn between them two.
I understand that Durham is a new course and hasn't been accredited yet, how do you think that will affect it in terms of employability?

Nottingham , It been accredited , the course have proven to be a success. One of the top school of pharmacy according to the league table. Close associate with GSK , Boots + Reckitt Benckiser. This is the easiest and the first decision you will make in pharmacy.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Meat is Murder

I always wonder why there were 4 vacancies at 3rd year GSK pharmacy placement and at least 2 went to Nottingham students........... (although they are probably higher caliber than the other applicants !)

:smile: ...
Reply 12
Original post by DentalLondon
Nottingham , It been accredited , the course have proven to be a success. One of the top school of pharmacy according to the league table. Close associate with GSK , Boots + Reckitt Benckiser. This is the easiest and the first decision you will make in pharmacy.

I am more swayed towards Nottingham, but I can't seem to stop thinking about Durham's potential. Thank you though, the close links that Nottingham has is definitely swaying me more. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
The course structure at Nottingham is well established , accredited, all the facilities and staff are in place ,and with their close link with Boots and GSK . If I was in your position , I would not even think twice and just put Nottingham as first choice .

Also when you apply for pre-reg or summer placement , (from the application form) most employers would not even know that Durham have a school of pharmacy , but with Nottingham , they already have a good reputation from previous students.........
Reply 14

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Is the first year a hard transition from A levels? Also what's the night life like at Nottingham? Do you stay in the catered halls or self catering?
Sorry for the many questions :P
Reply 15
Original post by DentalLondon
The course structure at Nottingham is well established , accredited, all the facilities and staff are in place ,and with their close link with Boots and GSK . If I was in your position , I would not even think twice and just put Nottingham as first choice .

Also when you apply for pre-reg or summer placement , (from the application form) most employers would not even know that Durham have a school of pharmacy , but with Nottingham , they already have a good reputation from previous students.........

very true, I think I will end up firming Nottingham, because of all the factors you've mentioned and the fact that they gave me quite a low offer.
I think I've just been a bit silly and let general league tables cast doubts in my mind. :smile:
Just as a matter of interest, are you studying pharmacy? I'm not sure, because of your username :tongue:
The general league table does not mean alot for a professional degree , the subject table is what matter most..........

I am 3rd year MpHARM at KCL,
(edited 11 years ago)
Is the first year a hard transition from A levels? Also what's the night life like at Nottingham? Do you stay in the catered halls or self catering?
Sorry for the many questions :P

If you have biology and maths A-level, the first semester is not difficult, as it is more of a general introduction to the course. I have found it challenging but not impossible, there is a lot more emphasis on communication than I thought there would be, but overall I'm really enjoying it (so far!).

The night life is pretty good, I come from a small village so I think anything would have been an improvement but there are lots of places to go and the taxis etc are really cheap.

I'm catered, which is useful for pharmacy as there are a lot of contact hours so you can't always be bothered to cook! The food can be a bit hit and miss but it's worth it just for the lunches really! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:
Reply 18
If you have biology and maths A-level, the first semester is not difficult, as it is more of a general introduction to the course. I have found it challenging but not impossible, there is a lot more emphasis on communication than I thought there would be, but overall I'm really enjoying it (so far!).

The night life is pretty good, I come from a small village so I think anything would have been an improvement but there are lots of places to go and the taxis etc are really cheap.

I'm catered, which is useful for pharmacy as there are a lot of contact hours so you can't always be bothered to cook! The food can be a bit hit and miss but it's worth it just for the lunches really! If you have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them :smile:

ah right, I did maths to AS level so hopefully it won't be too challenging.

I'm not too big on night life so anything is good for me :P

Which hall do you stay in?

On my interview they showed me Lenton, which I'm in love with at the moment. I've seen Ancaster before and I'm not too keen on it.

All in all it sounds great, I can't wait! Thank you :smile:
ah right, I did maths to AS level so hopefully it won't be too challenging.

I'm not too big on night life so anything is good for me :P

Which hall do you stay in?

On my interview they showed me Lenton, which I'm in love with at the moment. I've seen Ancaster before and I'm not too keen on it.

All in all it sounds great, I can't wait! Thank you :smile:

If you did it to AS you will be fine, there's a little bit of maths involved that is a bit tricky but you'll be ok. I'm not really either, if you're in halls they'll put on loads of stuff so if you want to there's a lot of opportunity to go out :smile:

I'm in Sherwood, which is quite nice but definitely not the nicest hall on campus! I've found that most of the halls (aside from maybe Ancaster and Cavendish) are really nice and even the halls that are 'bad' aren't really awful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending