The Student Room Group

Anyone else doing a 'dry January'?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
Bugger! Yeah this isn't happening already have plans for alcohol consumption on the first day back at uni (Birthday celebrations!) and Refreshers will be highly necessary after the ordeal of Jan exams :tongue:

Mind if i ask where that quote is from in your sig?
Original post by DZJX
Mind if i ask where that quote is from in your sig?

It's from the novel Going Bovine by Libba Bray :biggrin:
Reply 22
It's my 21st in January so there is no way that I'm doing this.
I'll probably only get at all drunk 3 or 4 times, but that's not really anything to do with some retarded new years 'resolution'.

Original post by tehFrance
More like my chance to get the hangover that could kill me due to how much I drink, yeah I'll give this a miss as I'd much rather continue to drink what I do on a daily basis than die from a hangover.

.... wat.

Not sure if sarcasm or overstating amount one drinks.
Original post by Menschlich
It's my 21st in January so there is no way that I'm doing this.

You can try the Cancer Research Dryathlon, it's basically the same thing but you're allowed to "buy" a night off by donating £15 to charity. Sort of defeats the point though!
Ill do this, but it's gonna be *really* easy when you don't drink in the first place :tongue:
Didn't even know this was a thing...
Failed before even starting :gthumb:
Reply 27
Original post by thefish_uk
You can try the Cancer Research Dryathlon, it's basically the same thing but you're allowed to "buy" a night off by donating £15 to charity. Sort of defeats the point though!

I might ask my friends to do that when they're encouraging me to waiver from my convictions. I bet they sharp stop!
Original post by concubine
...wat.

Not sure if sarcasm or overstating amount one drinks.

What? I drink a lot, in-fact all I drink are alcoholic drinks now with the odd cup of tea with a cigarette. I had not had a hangover in a couple years due to my high level of drinking, I am constantly drunk although functioning while drunk so I can carry on as normal so long as I have the alcohol within my system... if I stopped I would most likely suffer one of the most horrendous hangovers known to man and I do not wish to subject myself to such pain.
Reply 29
Original post by The_Super_Nerd(:
It's from the novel Going Bovine by Libba Bray :biggrin:

Thanks, I thought that it sounded familiar but I havent read that novel so i dont know lol. a very true quote though!
What? I drink a lot, in-fact all I drink are alcoholic drinks now with the odd cup of tea with a cigarette. I had not had a hangover in a couple years due to my high level of drinking, I am constantly drunk although functioning while drunk so I can carry on as normal so long as I have the alcohol within my system... if I stopped I would most likely suffer one of the most horrendous hangovers known to man and I do not wish to subject myself to such pain.

Either you're a mutant or this is bull****.
Reply 31
Either you're a mutant or this is bull****.

Or he is a functioning alcoholic.
Original post by Menschlich
Or he is a functioning alcoholic.

As someone that actually was for about 5 years half of what he says still sounds like bull****.
As someone that actually was for about 5 years half of what he says still sounds like bull****.

If you were then you'd know how bad the affects of quitting alcohol would be. I drink a lot, I acknowledge I drink a lot but unlike the other alcoholics, I work well with alcohol and don't really need to quit nor do I wish to.

The difference between me and other people such as yourself is that I know I have a problem yet I don't feel like changing because to change would mean the women will win then leave me... you know what women are like, date you for who you are and then try and change you and like hell I will quit drinking for anyone. Oh also I don't have major problems due to alcohol, most people eventually do so I may but right now I am pretty happy as I am.
If you were then you'd know how bad the affects of quitting alcohol would be. I drink a lot, I acknowledge I drink a lot but unlike the other alcoholics, I work well with alcohol and don't really need to quit nor do I wish to.

The difference between me and other people such as yourself is that I know I have a problem yet I don't feel like changing because to change would mean the women will win then leave me... you know what women are like, date you for who you are and then try and change you and like hell I will quit drinking for anyone. Oh also I don't have major problems due to alcohol, most people eventually do so I may but right now I am pretty happy as I am.

What?

'Unlike other alcoholics'. You're not superior in any way to the countless others of us that managed to get by fine in work, school and our social lives.

I was aware from very early on that I had a problem, and for a long time I had no desire to stop as it didn't really get in the way of anything. I never had any of your women issues. All that **** is in your head, and cutting down drastically has not created any. So I genuinely pity you here.

If you're aware that you have a problem then (given that it takes many people so long to accept this) you're in a good position to do something about it now, and probably should because for 99% of people it builds up until everything goes to ****.

The effects of you not drinking tomorrow will be, at their worst, a hangover similar to that that experienced by millions of others each Saturday or Sunday morning. The year or so before I made a real effort to cut down I would wake up with obscene hangovers, vomiting, shaking (e.g. withdrawal) which made simple **** like walking down the stairs or eating with a fork difficult until I had enough alcohol back in me. You are obviously nowhere near this bad, and as far as I'm aware I never 'died' on any of the many occasions that I decided that I would stop drinking.
I would love to try it but feel like my bank balance would suffer more from this and so would my health.
Give up booze for a month, so what would you do in its place on a classic weekend out? Drugs? Hmmm... Perhaps I will give up that instead and take up alcohol for a month. That would be good for me.. It's a shame I can't give up both unless something else exists to replace the fun.

Quick Reply

Latest