The Student Room Group

Sitting A Levels privately?

Hi everyone,

I am in AS year at Sixth Form, but have been very unwell with a pre-diagnosed chronic condition. Sucks, but I'm learning to cope with it.:smile:

I have missed A LOT of time since September. I find it difficult to do more than 1 or 2 full days on the trot without getting my body into a right state. I am seeking doctor's help at the moment, but although the school is well aware of my illness, they are telling me I may have to leave because of funding reasons (:confused:) The stress of that threat is making me feel worse.:frown:

I have textbooks, resources, past papers etc, and could even hire a tutor. I am wondering if you can sit exams and study at home? I want to take AS levels in Biology, English Literature and Psychology.

It would be much better for my recovery if I wasn't trying to push myself all the time with the physical strains of day-to-day life, so I really want to do this. I don't want to sacrifice going to uni because of a rough patch in my health!

If anyone has any information on the subject, would be greatly appreciated.:redface:
Reply 1
Original post by rosadreams
Hi everyone,

I am in AS year at Sixth Form, but have been very unwell with a pre-diagnosed chronic condition. Sucks, but I'm learning to cope with it.:smile:

I have missed A LOT of time since September. I find it difficult to do more than 1 or 2 full days on the trot without getting my body into a right state. I am seeking doctor's help at the moment, but although the school is well aware of my illness, they are telling me I may have to leave because of funding reasons (:confused:) The stress of that threat is making me feel worse.:frown:

I have textbooks, resources, past papers etc, and could even hire a tutor. I am wondering if you can sit exams and study at home? I want to take AS levels in Biology, English Literature and Psychology.

If you look on TSR there are loads of threads on sitting exams privately. You can do it, but finding somewhere to do the practical/coursework units for Biology is very difficult and can be very expensive. Any secondary school or college can accept you as a private candidate but few will and only about 10 in the country will take students for A level practicals. Obviously the first place to ask is your current school as the exam boards would all match up.

Quick Reply

Latest