The Student Room Group

Become a Language Teacher Help

My friend has recently moved to the UK from Andorra (A small country between France and Spain). He speaks French and Spanish fluently as both are his mother tongues. He would like to become a language teacher, preferably of both languages if possible in the UK. He currently only has a high school diploma from Andorra and therefore we assume he would need to get a degree before doing further teacher training. He also needs to be able to do the degree through the open uni if possible.
We basically need to know what degree would be most suitable for him to study for. It does seem quite silly since he is already fluent in French and Spanish that he should do a degree which is aimed at someone learning those languages! Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Sam
Original post by samg12
My friend has recently moved to the UK from Andorra (A small country between France and Spain). He speaks French and Spanish fluently as both are his mother tongues. He would like to become a language teacher, preferably of both languages if possible in the UK. He currently only has a high school diploma from Andorra and therefore we assume he would need to get a degree before doing further teacher training. He also needs to be able to do the degree through the open uni if possible.
We basically need to know what degree would be most suitable for him to study for. It does seem quite silly since he is already fluent in French and Spanish that he should do a degree which is aimed at someone learning those languages! Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Sam

Normally for a PGCE you need to have a degree that is at least 50% the subject you want to teach, so by that logic, your friend would need to do a degree which is 50% French and 50% Spanish.

However, I would suggest getting your friend to contact a university or two that offer PGCE's in languages and to ask them what he should do, as I am unsure what the rules are for native speakers of a language.

xx

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending