The Student Room Group

I like to treat my men...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Future African game vet
Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?

I do the same :h: I love doing little things like that purely because I love seeing him happy :smile:
Original post by lilGem
I do the same :h: I love doing little things like that purely because I love seeing him happy :smile:

:tongue: Yey I knew there were others out there :biggrin: Good for you! :smile:
Reply 102
:tongue: Yey I knew there were others out there :biggrin: Good for you! :smile:

:five: my friends think it's strange too, I wouldn't worry :h:

He really appreciates it too so it's worthwhile doing, as people on the thread have said it's rare but it's a good thing :yep:
Original post by lilGem
:five: my friends think it's strange too, I wouldn't worry :h:

He really appreciates it too so it's worthwhile doing, as people on the thread have said it's rare but it's a good thing :yep:

That's good to know, nice to (virtually) meet you :ciao:
Reply 104
That's good to know, nice to (virtually) meet you :ciao:

Nice to virtually meet you too :hi:

We'll be the minority :biggrin:
Original post by lilGem

Completely agree: in my case it's getting fresh orange juice and the FT while he's in bed, but it's the little things :h:
Reply 106
Original post by such_a_lady
Completely agree: in my case it's getting fresh orange juice and the FT while he's in bed, but it's the little things :h:

The little things are the best :h:
Today I was having a debate with a friend, She was saying it's weird for a girl to treat a man the way I do;

Whenever I have been in a relationship I like to do little things for the man I am dating. I wake up early and sneak out to the shop to cook special breakfasts for them, set up surprise evenings doing their favorite things, take them out for a walk at night to look at the stars away from the town's lights, make them gifts occasionally, send little messages every so often to try and brighten up their day - not ALL the time- that'd be weird, but regularly... however I have been told by my female friends that its not our "duty" as women to take that role.... surely it works both ways?

Personally, I have never had anyone treat me in the same way back, either they just accept it and say very little, or begin to take it for granted- but this is just what I do...

What are your opinions on this sort of thing? Is it ok for me to do this? Or would guys find it odd?

You don't act like you inherently deserve a man and thus should not try?
**** me, I thought people like you had become extinct :rofl:
Just remember that most guys would kill for someone like that, so if your bf turns to a dick, know that you could get a better guy in seconds.
Reply 108
Any man who gets you is one lucky muthatrucker. You're a keeper.
Thank you very much, =)
Reply 110
Well it varies :tongue: but the most recent one was:

Drink: Pineapple, mango and orange juice
Side bits: Bowl of olives, feta, italian ham - Pancakes with syrup / nutella with raspberries
Main bit: Sausage, bacon, egg, tomatoes and mushrooms with a side of seasoned fried onions and spinach topped with goats cheese

(my parents are chefs.... so food is kind of how I like to express myself)

'kin 'el that's some breakfast!
I'm glad I'm not dating you. I'd be 30 stone! :tongue:

In all seriousness... you carry on as you are. :wink:
Reply 111
Original post by Kaactus
OP, look at the guys' replies, most of them "appreciate" what you do, yes, appreciate. They want to marry you and let you do these things for them everyday. Did anyone mention he would like to do the same for you? Clearly you are working hard to be a good maid...

Are you a mind reader? You'd be sociopathetic if you didn't reciprocate.
Original post by Kaactus
OP, look at the guys' replies, most of them "appreciate" what you do, yes, appreciate. They want to marry you and let you do these things for them everyday. Did anyone mention he would like to do the same for you? Clearly you are working hard to be a good maid...

I would never marry anyone who would use me so. The things I do for people are on my terms, should I feel used I would withdraw my affections.
Please keep the discussion sensible and on topic :smile:

If I didn't know better I'd have said you were describing me. I agree with you totally.. That's what I do too. It's not odd or strange in the slightest!

My man works longs hours, often having to do overtime but not by choice. He works shifts and does unsociable hours. When he's not eating or sleeping he's generally working so he's alway tired.

I like to make his lunch for him as he doesn't often get time to eat, cook for him occasionally and do the odd breakfast when I can. I clean his place when he's been so busy he doesn't really get a chance to and iron his uniform too. I go out shopping for him as again he doesn't get a chance all that often.

I like to get him little gifts and presents that I think he'll enjoy or find funny and send him sweet texts and leave little messages.

He does exactly the same for me. Little things that make me smile and know what he cares. He's so very thoughtful and considerate, surprises me with all sorts.*

I don't demand he does this. Nor does he expect it of me. We do it because we love each other and things like that make a relationship. I regularly try and do it. I enjoy doing it.

And I'll probably be contacting you in the future for recipe ideas now! Haha.
Original post by BrrrButtery
If I didn't know better I'd have said you were describing me. I agree with you totally.. That's what I do too. It's not odd or strange in the slightest!

My man works longs hours, often having to do overtime but not by choice. He works shifts and does unsociable hours. When he's not eating or sleeping he's generally working so he's alway tired.

I like to make his lunch for him as he doesn't often get time to eat, cook for him occasionally and do the odd breakfast when I can. I clean his place when he's been so busy he doesn't really get a chance to and iron his uniform too. I go out shopping for him as again he doesn't get a chance all that often.

I like to get him little gifts and presents that I think he'll enjoy or find funny and send him sweet texts and leave little messag
He does exactly the same for me. Little things that make me smile and know what he cares. He's so very thoughtful and considerate, surprises me with all sorts.*

I don't demand he does this. Nor does he expect it of me. We do it because we love each other and things like that make a relationship. I regularly try and do it. I enjoy doing it.

And I'll probably be contacting you in the future for recipe ideas now! Haha.

that is beautiful, how increadinly lucky you are to have one another. Ha, contact away I like to help food questions :-)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 116
Once in a lifetime girlfriend :wink:
My gf is very much like you :biggrin: I consider myself extremely lucky and of course, I do similar stuff for her - it does need to be mutual in a relationship :tongue:
Original post by Djordje
Once in a lifetime girlfriend :wink:
My gf is very much like you :biggrin: I consider myself extremely lucky and of course, I do similar stuff for her - it does need to be mutual in a relationship :tongue:

glad you do things back :smile: Sounds a lovely relationship!
Reply 118
glad you do things back :smile: Sounds a lovely relationship!

Yep, 5 months now and not a single argument :wink:
Reply 119
Your friend is right in a way- its obviously not the duty of women to provide for men. However I think it is the duty of people in meaningful relationships to provide for each other, to an acceptable extent.

You obviously enjoy doing this and get something out of doing it so it's not a problem, ie a nice feeling or gratitude or whatever. Perhaps your friend just doesn't enjoy doing stuff like that.

I don't know. I don't do that but I've been with my fiancé for over 4 years and we have never argued either, strange as it may seem. If we do things though, we do it together. It works for us. We surprise each other with things but only money/occasion/circumstances permitting. We're lucky in that we enjoy the same things though, so for example I have now had my ban of xbox shooting games reversed (terrible Halo experience 3 years ago) and we've been playing Left For Dead the past few nights because I know he enjoys it. But then I'm having fun too.

Having said that, I was entirely selfless in that time I took him to see that Piranha 3D film a couple of years ago... I did not enjoy that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending