The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katiemcswiney
What is your secret? I'm really worried. I'm hoping for an A* in Biology and Chemistry - not sure whether to study Mathematics/History at A2, what do you recommend? I'm sure I could attain an A/A* in History but I'm worried that I won't be able to get that in Maths...HELP?

I'm planning on applying for Medicine. Very competitive, I know.

I've gotten into a very good sixth form (currently in year 11 still) - thinking ahead I suppose. Is there anything I can do now that would make my application stand out/enhance it at all? Apart from work experience - I've got that covered. Another qualification? A study outside of school?

I'm on my way to 8 A*s at GCSE. Should be fine - they're easy enough compared to A levels (I'm study Chemistry, Biology and Maths early as I have finished these GCSEs a long time ago).

Please? I'm on my knees begging for advice here. I want the best education I can, as you guys do and are going to get... congratulations to all of you!

Right, the first thing I'd advise is relaxing a bit and focusing on getting the best grades and work experience you can and not stressing yourself out too much at this point in time!

You don't need to be doing any additional qualifications outside of school, the most important thing is that you do the best you can in what you're taking. Try and get as many GCSE A* as possible and in your ASs you want to be looking at a 90% + UMS, as I'm sure you know.

Now, if you want to study medicine, there's a few more things to think about. First of all, please remember that all medical schools are equally good and when applying for your F1 placements, hospitals won't see your university, so please don't apply to Cambridge just because you think it's prestigious- do it because you like the course. That's the next thing I'd say: make sure you know what makes the Cambridge and Oxford course different to the others, and that it's right for you. Finally, if you want to go for Cambridge, don't worry too much. At the end of the day, a lot of it comes down to luck whether you get in, and an offer for medicine anywhere is an amazing achievement!

Feel free to PM me if you want any more advice- this isn't really the right thread to be posting in!
Original post by gigi3359
I just got a phonecall from Homerton saying they're giving me an offer from pooling! I don't know the conditions yet, but I'm so happy.

congratulations fishy :smile:
Congratulations to everyone who has been fished from the pool so far! :smile:
Original post by Danehill897
I applied to Robinson and was asked for A*A*A. I don't know if it's a college thing or just me being one of the worst applicants to get a place.

Have an A*A*A offer too... :frown:
Don't know how I'm going to get an A* in Further Maths... I'm going with being one of the worst applicants to get a place in my case!
Original post by gigi3359
I just got a phonecall from Homerton saying they're giving me an offer from pooling! I don't know the conditions yet, but I'm so happy.

:woo: Well done! Homerton is a lovely college, a couple of my friends are there. :smile:
I've just got an offer from Fitz to study English. See you guys there!
Reply 286
Been given an offer through the pool from newnham for bio natsci. They said they'd send a letter next week with conditions, hopefully AAA though (I'm Scottish!). I spent yesterday/today convincing myself it was a good thing I didn't get in so I'm now just confused haha!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Oromis263
My friends there have said it's definitely faster than Maths A, but I have looked at some of the Maths B stuff and it looks fine. I think the difficulty comes with the pace of lectures and only a few of the extended topics.

Mind sending me a link to a syllabus for maths b? :smile:
As far as I can tell it sounds very nice :borat: :tongue:
Original post by lieseldante
I've just got an offer from Fitz to study English. See you guys there!

Thank god, another Fitz :biggrin: awesome :smile:
Reply 289
Congratulations on the offers everyone. Hope to see some of you in October. Anyone got an offer from Magdalene?
Reply 290
Yes, now I can switch to this thread! Got fished by Christ's for Economics, are there any fellow economists from there?
Original post by Sitrix
Can anyone describe what their interview was like?
Any particularly difficult questions you have to answer?
Any strenous tasks?

Someone was going on about wrestling a troll, but don't worry it's nothing like that. Just revise and remember to breathe.
Original post by Pandin
Yes, now I can switch to this thread! Got fished by Christ's for Economics, are there any fellow economists from there?

Economist here - from Clare though. Congrats on being fished :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PapercutMagnet
Someone was going on about wrestling a troll, but don't worry it's nothing like that. Just revise and remember to breathe.

I had to balance on a unicycle while reciting my 37-times-table, but that was obviously towards the end, where they were really trying to stretch me :tongue:
Original post by katiemcswiney
What is your secret? I'm really worried. I'm hoping for an A* in Biology and Chemistry - not sure whether to study Mathematics/History at A2, what do you recommend? I'm sure I could attain an A/A* in History but I'm worried that I won't be able to get that in Maths...HELP?

I'm planning on applying for Medicine. Very competitive, I know.

I've gotten into a very good sixth form (currently in year 11 still) - thinking ahead I suppose. Is there anything I can do now that would make my application stand out/enhance it at all? Apart from work experience - I've got that covered. Another qualification? A study outside of school?

I'm on my way to 8 A*s at GCSE. Should be fine - they're easy enough compared to A levels (I'm study Chemistry, Biology and Maths early as I have finished these GCSEs a long time ago).

Please? I'm on my knees begging for advice here. I want the best education I can, as you guys do and are going to get... congratulations to all of you!

I'm not a medic but maths is pretty much essential for a science based course. From what I can tell, Cambridge prefer high UMS scores to people having extra things. Take the time to know your courses inside out and extend in things you are interested in if you want. If you've done your GCSEs early then just read ahead and make sure you're solid on the stuff you've done before. A-levels are pacy and the only way to do really well (from my perspective) is to keep on top and sort out things as you learn them. Practise as much as you can along the way as there won't be much time to revise. Best of luck and don't worry!
Original post by johnttam
Our 6th form had 9 oxbridge applicants, 4 oxford applicants all straight rejected, 5 cambridge, 2 straight rejected, 1 after interview, 1 pooled and then i got an offer. Is this par or low with regards to acceptance

The Oxford one seems low compared to my school but the cambridge one is similar. Out of 3 for Oxford one got a straight rejection and two got interviews. Five of nine got an interview for cambridge, with two offers (I don't know about the other three).
Original post by Yashmeee

I have an engineering offer and I need to get A* in Maths and Physics, A in AS Further Maths and then an A in French...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with a offer for my fourth random subject.
Original post by bananarama2
Compsci worries me :tongue:

Yes, I'm unsure about my last one too. I think either material or earth sciences...

I've got to get the 95% in FP2 and FP3 to get onto the Maths B course :wink:

Do you have to do further to be able to do Maths B?
Original post by ummm
You're not allowed to discuss the content of interviews. sorry!

Did you get an offer?
Original post by PapercutMagnet
Do you have to do further to be able to do Maths B?

Yes. In fact you need to really understand the stuff. There is a requirement you get around 95% in any two of FP1,FP2 or FP3.

Latest

Trending

Trending