The Student Room Group

Another mass shooting in Aurora Colorado

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20923201

Massacre in the same small town as the "Batman" killings last year. Jesus Christ.
Reply 1
Everyday just gets more and more heartbreaking to be in this world.
I cannot even understand why there are so many killings/raping/tortures going on at the moment. It's disgraceful and is making me want to escape into a world of my own.
Original post by Sarah1313
Everyday just gets more and more heartbreaking to be in this world.
I cannot even understand why there are so many killings/raping/tortures going on at the moment. It's disgraceful and is making me want to escape into a world of my own.

No need to be over dramatic, there's always been stuff like this going on. It wasn't 70 years ago that the Holocaust was happening and that's substantially worse than what's going on today. I would say that for every bad thing that happens in this world, such as this shooting, there's at least 1000 good things that happen that make it less 'heartbreaking' or not heartbreaking at all to be in this world.
Reply 3
Original post by theonefrombrum
No need to be over dramatic, there's always been stuff like this going on. It wasn't 70 years ago that the Holocaust was happening and that's substantially worse than what's going on today. I would say that for every bad thing that happens in this world, such as this shooting, there's at least 1000 good things that happen that make it less 'heartbreaking' or not heartbreaking at all to be in this world.

I am sorry if I find things like this heartbreaking, after all a family memeber of mine is out in Aurora and lost a friend in the batman shooting. Sorry though I didn't mean to be over dramatic.
Besides, even if I had not had a friend or family member related to these events, I would still find it heartbreaking as their suffering and their families suffering I can not even imagine and for every event we do hear about, in the news, another 7 (random number) occur else where that we don't hear about for various reasons.
Yes good things happen blah blah blah, but these good things are not of equivalent scale and don't happen as frequently as the bad things do and they are only limited to certain countries.

Personally, I have not heard of a good thing happening to this world since, well never, I am trying now and I can't.
Reply 5
2013 has officially started for muurrica
Original post by Whatishappening
Personally, I have not heard of a good thing happening to this world since, well never, I am trying now and I can't.

Don't be ridiculous.
Reply 7
Hold on, you know nothing about this shooting yet, how can you be calling it a massacre or anything like that?

For all you know this was a bunch of criminals or crackheads who got in a fight. Wait until we at least get some more info before you bemoan the whole world.
Reply 8
Original post by Steevee
Hold on, you know nothing about this shooting yet, how can you be calling it a massacre or anything like that?

For all you know this was a bunch of criminals or crackheads who got in a fight. Wait until we at least get some more info before you bemoan the whole world.

True, but to me any death at the hands of another human being is unnecessary and saddening.
Just waiting to see if it my family was involved though...
Reply 9
It's the US what do you expect?
I am sorry if I find things like this heartbreaking, after all a family memeber of mine is out in Aurora and lost a friend in the batman shooting. Sorry though I didn't mean to be over dramatic.
Besides, even if I had not had a friend or family member related to these events, I would still find it heartbreaking as their suffering and their families suffering I can not even imagine and for every event we do hear about, in the news, another 7 (random number) occur else where that we don't hear about for various reasons.
Yes good things happen blah blah blah, but these good things are not of equivalent scale and don't happen as frequently as the bad things do and they are only limited to certain countries.

I never said that a thing like this wasn't heartbreaking so don't try to imply that I did. What I said was that the world isn't getting more heartbreaking to live in, its the exact same as its always been. You just didnt know it either through ignorance or the media not reporting it. If anything crime is coming own all over the place and so the world is better today than its been in a while, if you base things on the level of crime being committed (which you clearly do).

What do you mean blah blah blah? Good things happen and that's ignored when you are ascertaining the worthiness of the world because of..... Why is that? For every life lost to a Bullet, you can bet a lot more are being saved by the diligent efforts of nurses and doctors the world over and organisations like the Red Cross. But because the media doesn't report that, its either not Important or isn't happening right?

I'm sorry and I'm trying not to be so antagonistic as in the past I've been a bit confrontational if I have a point and I've learnt not to be like that because it doesn't help but you really are highly ignorant. You honestly believe that good things don't happen with as much frequency as bad things? Do you realise that there's 7 billion people out there? Do you think that the combined acts of donating blood, organs and a lot of time in pursuit of helping others in need happen with less frequency than mass murder or even murder general? (They don't) oh and your countries comment is plain bizarre, I can't seen to justify replying to it.

What you need to do is get some perspective and rethink your entire world view.

With all due respect that's probably because you've been living in a box for the first 18 years of your life and upon release have shunned external news sources/general common sense.

It's such a completely bizarre thing to say. Yesterday actually I had a conversation with an old friend who used t be an alcoholic but thanks to AA Is now sober and has a new look on life. Was that not a good thing that they did? That, and about a billion other things.
With all due respect that's probably because you've been living in a box for the first 18 years of your life and upon release have shunned external news sources/general common sense.

It's such a completely bizarre thing to say. Yesterday actually I had a conversation with an old friend who used t be an alcoholic but thanks to AA Is now sober and has a new look on life. Was that not a good thing that they did? That, and about a billion other things.

This, what a stupid comment to make. What about the amazing medical advances over the last 100 years? I swear some people actually try to be as negative as possible.
Reply 13
I never said that a thing like this wasn't heartbreaking so don't try to imply that I did. What I said was that the world isn't getting more heartbreaking to live in, its the exact same as its always been. You just didnt know it either through ignorance or the media not reporting it. If anything crime is coming own all over the place and so the world is better today than its been in a while, if you base things on the level of crime being committed (which you clearly do).

What do you mean blah blah blah? Good things happen and that's ignored when you are ascertaining the worthiness of the world because of..... Why is that? For every life lost to a Bullet, you can bet a lot more are being saved by the diligent efforts of nurses and doctors the world over and organisations like the Red Cross. But because the media doesn't report that, its either not Important or isn't happening right?

I'm sorry and I'm trying not to be so antagonistic as in the past I've been a bit confrontational if I have a point and I've learnt not to be like that because it doesn't help but you really are highly ignorant. You honestly believe that good things don't happen with as much frequency as bad things? Do you realise that there's 7 billion people out there? Do you think that the combined acts of donating blood, organs and a lot of time in pursuit of helping others in need happen with less frequency than mass murder or even murder general? (They don't) oh and your countries comment is plain bizarre, I can't seen to justify replying to it.

What you need to do is get some perspective and rethink your entire world view.

I find you the ignorant one call me ignorant based on one post...
Yes I realize about blood donation, donation organ, bone marrow transplants and charity work what ever want to through around, as you name it I do/or will when I reach the correct age, and yes I am fully aware of all for every 1 mass murderer there may be, there are 1000's of people like me, but it's through my charity work that I came to realize how horrible the world is and as I have grown older and traveled more (and okay, become less ignorant with age) that is nothing is ever going to change.
I am sorry you are such a confrontational person, it must be a sad life.
I think I have a relatively balanced world-view to be honest, and you would have been the first person to tell me any different.

Side note on my countries post: sorry I don't think I explained it well.

Oh hey, sorry, yeah obviously in a post like this I was referring to events relating to this. I was debating to add except science and medicine... I wish I did now. Sorry for any confusion!
That is awesome for your friend, but I can't help thinking that AA should be more accessible I know a few people that could benefit...
I find you the ignorant one call me ignorant based on one post...
Yes I realize about blood donation, donation organ, bone marrow transplants and charity work what ever want to through around, as you name it I do/or will when I reach the correct age, and yes I am fully aware of all for every 1 mass murderer there may be, there are 1000's of people like me, but it's through my charity work that I came to realize how horrible the world is and as I have grown older and traveled more (and okay, become less ignorant with age) that is nothing is ever going to change.
I am sorry you are such a confrontational person, it must be a sad life.
I think I have a relatively balanced world-view to be honest, and you would have been the first person to tell me any different.

Side note on my countries post: sorry I don't think I explained it well.

You're clearly not aware because you still believe that good things don't happen with as much frequency as bad things? I hate to have to be a bit soppy but things like raising your children's nd giving them a lot of love is a great thing and many, many families do that for their children. Now tell me, are the effects of that somehow negated by the existence of a few murders elsewhere in the world? What you're doing is looking at the negative and seeing only that - a recipe for a biased post if ever there was one.

I'm not naturally confrontational, usually I am only when someone's counter argument is bizarre and strange and that's when I sometimes feel like I need to do more than make simple points as to me its like 'if he or she can actually say that, then he or she is clearly not right in the head and he or she might respond to an alternate form of adult debate than what is considered to be ok'. You know whati mean? It's not a sad life that I'm living tbh, it's not perfect but its good enough and its gonna get better.

No,you don't. What you think and what the truth is seem to be mis aligned and that's something that needs addressing quick.
Reply 16
Original post by Joeman560
It's the US what do you expect?

Someone suggesting more guns to solve the gun problem?
Maybe its just me but the execution of hostages just doesn't register as a mass shooting but rather a mass execution. A mass shooting to me is more like entering a building or at a park and then just start shooting people. Taking people hostage and getting into a stand off with police and then killing/executing the hostages just doesn't sound like a mass shooting but something else. It would be like if you killed the hostages with a knife and called it a mass stabbing, to me that wouldn't be a mass stabbing either.

Original post by Maxisussex
Someone suggesting more guns to solve the gun problem?

Maybe, I mean more nuclear weapons between Russia and USA prevented a Nuclear war.

Consider this the grand total gun violence in the US has been cut in half since 1993, during that time at least 90 million more guns have been added to the streets of the US. Since 2007 the grand total of gun violence has decreased by 15%, in that time more than 15 million guns have been added. Since 1992 the grand total population of the US has increased by 55 million+ people. To put this into context more people are killed by someones bare hands or feet in the US than are killed by the combined homicide totals of rifles and shotguns and keep in mind there are nearly 100 million of each of those category of firearms in civilian hands.

The grand total of violent crime in the US has been reduced from 1.9 million in 1993 to 1.2 million crimes in 2011.

85% of US counties have an annual homicide rate of 0. 3% of US counties make up 78% of all homicides in the US.

Here is another thing to consider, the US has literally no regulation whatsoever on flamethrowers at the federal level. 40 out of the 50 states have also no regulation whatsoever on flamethrowers. Practically all 10 states that do pretty much make it a misdemeanor for how you use a flamethrower not for owning one. In other words there is no regulations and yet very little if any flamethrower crimes. Flamethrowers are not hard to make. Just take a super soaker fill it with a flammable liquid and attach a lighter at the end.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-true-stories-that-will-restore-your-faith-in-humanity/

http://www.cracked.com/article_19389_the-8-most-badass-make-a-wish-foundation-wishes.html

There's some for you to get started :smile: Seriously, there's good stuff all around you every day, it's just no one ever reports it or talks about it. We Humans just seem to love hearing bad news more than anything else :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending