The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Confabulation
Fished for PBS by Selwyn. Originally applied to Pembroke :smile:

Congratulations!! When did they contact you?

PBS pooled applicant here also, waiting on tenterhooks. :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
hi guys, I was shocked to be pooled by Pembroke for medicine and honestly thought I had no hope because of a relatively poor BMAT score and what I felt were 2 bad interviews. However, I have just been fished by Murray Edwards for an interview next week, so everyone just keep up hope :smile:
Reply 1422

Congrats!!! When did you know it? And how? What did they say? Sorry for these annoying questions :P I'm still waiting so...
Reply 1423
Has any medical applicants been pooled in January 2013, if so for what college....I have an interview in Girton for Medicine after being fished from the pool...i was a little dissappointed I was called for interview, I thought you could get an offer without having to go back for another interview! Does anyone know if all medical pool applicants are reinterviewed or can they receive offers without a further interview?
If you haven't been pooled with >93%, isn't it pointless doing anything about it since the pool has closed
Reply 1425
I emailed them about half an hour ago, was there much point though?. The pool finished today so even if it was an admin error its too late :/
Original post by chocoholic_x
Congratulations!! When did they contact you?

PBS pooled applicant here also, waiting on tenterhooks. :tongue:

Contacted me at 4:20 today. I've seen you posting on cambridge applicant threads for PBS, I really hope they fish you!
Reply 1427
Original post by nat.2013
I found out earlier that I got an offer.
I was pooled from Sidney Sussex for Geog and got an offer from Selwyn at 4pm today! I thought I'd get a phone call but it was by email.

what date was your interview, i was sidney too had mine on the 4th
Selwyn is a lovely college- congrats!
Contacted me at 4:20 today. I've seen you posting on cambridge applicant threads for PBS, I really hope they fish you!

Ah, well that is exciting! Selwyn is a nice college also. :smile: And thank you, that's kind of you to say!
Original post by Minerva
How will I find out if more than one college wants to interview me?
Usually the colleges will mention that another will be in touch with you as well. They are expected to liaise to ensure that your timings are reasonable, and also to arrange accommodation for you if you need it. If you've been invited to attend for interview with one college and nothing has been said about any other, you are unlikely to get an interview elsewhere; if you haven't heard from a second college within 24 hours, you definitely won't.

Dear Minerva please could you answer these two things for me? (or anyone else who can offer advice)
So I was pooled for English by Emmanuel, today I got a phone call from Christs inviting me to interview on the 10th :smile: then bizarrely, i checked my email a little later and found an email from Churchill also inviting me to interview on the 10th!! Obviously I am really happy about this, to get two chances at re-interview, but I'm a little confused because neither of them mentioned that I was being interviewed at the other college as well. (Both said that they would send me details of the interview on Monday...) In the winterpoolofficers document it says the two colleges should liase... So I don't know whether I should get in contact with Churchill/Christ's/CAO to check that something hasnt gone weird? But if i did, i don't know what i would say, i wouldn't want to look like i thought they would call/email the wrong person or something...
ALSO, I'm in a bit of a pickle because in my email from Churchill, they said "In the mean time,to enable the interviewers to review your application fully please can you send me copies of your submitted written work electronically (don’t worry if you don’t have cover sheets) so this can be distributed to my colleagues on Monday." I was under the impression that they would get all written work etc from the college that pooled me... Anyway, the problem is that with one of the two essays I submitted, the only copy that I have, when I was preparing for interview I wrote all over it highlighting things and adding notes! :s-smilie: I could of course send them a clean copy, but then it would be without my teacher's markings, and it's a really really polished essay (it's a coursework essay which got full marks :smile:) so I'm worried that if I send a copy without my teacher's markings then it will look like I changed it before sending it to them!! :s-smilie: Especially because the other essay that I submitted, which I do have a copy with teacher markings but no personal notes, is a less good, less polished essay. What should I do??? (I do still have the cover sheets for both essays, incidentally.) I would ask my teacher what to do, but the email seems to imply that they need the essays before Monday and obviosuly I can't speak to my teacher before then. (I just got a TSR account literally just now in order to ask this!!) I don't know whether I should send them the one with all my highlightings and notes all over it...there's nothing terrible I've written on it, but my notes might just make me look a bit weird :biggrin: plus it just doesn't really seem like the done thing. My dad suggested that I should send them a scanned-in copy of the one with my scrawlings and teacher markings, AND a clean copy...but I don't know if this might just be a bit weird and awkward?? ADVICE PLEASE :confused:
Original post by MathMan
I emailed them about half an hour ago, was there much point though?. The pool finished today so even if it was an admin error its too late :/

Dude, today's the first day when colleges are allowed to contact you about pulling you from the pool. Most of those who are going to be fished from the pool probably are yet to find out. Patience, man.

Well done :smile:
Reply 1432
Original post by xxLozzxx
With every hour that goes by I become more convinced I'm not going to get fished, I kept sneaking out to check my emails at work and felt worse every-time it told me I had no new messages :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know how you feel, being a fellow poolee, but don't lose hope! Just remember that there's still tomorrow, and also they like to send out the interview offers first. Direct offers are more likely to come later, between the 5th and 14th of January.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by amyandbeyond
Fitzwilliam. I was sort of hoping for a letter, even though I had the email, but apparently Fitz prefer email. I guess I just love recieving things in the post and the idea of a letter from Cambridge appealed to my nostalgic side.

It just wont be the same producing a print off an email to my grandchildren when telling them about the time grandma nearly got into Cambridge... (*sigh*)

I just got an offer from newnham. All girls but still Cambridge!! Don't give up hope!
Please Cambridge.... I'm giving you my life. What more do you want? :frown:

Please... just fish me...
Original post by iamsherlocked
Dear Minerva please could you answer these two things for me? (or anyone else who can offer advice)
So I was pooled for English by Emmanuel, today I got a phone call from Christs inviting me to interview on the 10th :smile: then bizarrely, i checked my email a little later and found an email from Churchill also inviting me to interview on the 10th!! Obviously I am really happy about this, to get two chances at re-interview, but I'm a little confused because neither of them mentioned that I was being interviewed at the other college as well. (Both said that they would send me details of the interview on Monday...) In the winterpoolofficers document it says the two colleges should liase... So I don't know whether I should get in contact with Churchill/Christ's/CAO to check that something hasnt gone weird? But if i did, i don't know what i would say, i wouldn't want to look like i thought they would call/email the wrong person or something...
ALSO, I'm in a bit of a pickle because in my email from Churchill, they said "In the mean time,to enable the interviewers to review your application fully please can you send me copies of your submitted written work electronically (don’t worry if you don’t have cover sheets) so this can be distributed to my colleagues on Monday." I was under the impression that they would get all written work etc from the college that pooled me... Anyway, the problem is that with one of the two essays I submitted, the only copy that I have, when I was preparing for interview I wrote all over it highlighting things and adding notes! :s-smilie: I could of course send them a clean copy, but then it would be without my teacher's markings, and it's a really really polished essay (it's a coursework essay which got full marks :smile:) so I'm worried that if I send a copy without my teacher's markings then it will look like I changed it before sending it to them!! :s-smilie: Especially because the other essay that I submitted, which I do have a copy with teacher markings but no personal notes, is a less good, less polished essay. What should I do??? (I do still have the cover sheets for both essays, incidentally.) I would ask my teacher what to do, but the email seems to imply that they need the essays before Monday and obviosuly I can't speak to my teacher before then. (I just got a TSR account literally just now in order to ask this!!) I don't know whether I should send them the one with all my highlightings and notes all over it...there's nothing terrible I've written on it, but my notes might just make me look a bit weird :biggrin: plus it just doesn't really seem like the done thing. My dad suggested that I should send them a scanned-in copy of the one with my scrawlings and teacher markings, AND a clean copy...but I don't know if this might just be a bit weird and awkward?? ADVICE PLEASE :confused:

Use paragraphs please. My eyes nearly died trying to read that.
Original post by T_x
Well done :smile: I guess that's it for me then :frown:

Join me!!! All the best! Message me if you get anything!!!!
Reply 1437
can a medical applicant in the pool receive an offer without having to re-interview?
Original post by pr100
Has any medical applicants been pooled in January 2013, if so for what college....I have an interview in Girton for Medicine after being fished from the pool...i was a little dissappointed I was called for interview, I thought you could get an offer without having to go back for another interview! Does anyone know if all medical pool applicants are reinterviewed or can they receive offers without a further interview?

My friend got an offer without being reinterviewed.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Use paragraphs please. My eyes nearly died trying to read that.

Haha i'm sorry! Seriously though, some advice would be very welcome??

Latest

Trending

Trending