The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Oxford Brookes PGCE (2013 entry)

Hello!
Got a conditional offer through a couple of days ago for the primary PGCE next year- anyone else :smile:? So relieved to have got the news just before Christmas!

Scroll to see replies

Hiya!

I've got a conditional offer too for primary :-D I'm so happy. I can't wait to start!

xxx
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
Yay! Me neither, really looking forward to it :smile:
Are you commuting from home or moving to Oxford? xxx
Reply 3
Hi!

I got an offer for the Primary PGCE too. I was worried they weren't going to let us know until the new year so it was such a relief - and an excellent Christmas present - to find an offer waiting for me on Friday.
I'm looking at staying in the halls on campus but I'm a little put off at how much they are.
Reply 4
Original post by Mutinta
Hi!

I got an offer for the Primary PGCE too. I was worried they weren't going to let us know until the new year so it was such a relief - and an excellent Christmas present - to find an offer waiting for me on Friday.
I'm looking at staying in the halls on campus but I'm a little put off at how much they are.

I have the same problem! I'd like to live in halls/ be with other people on the course but it is very expensive. Thinking of going for a house share somewhere instead but that would be with strangers which is risky, even if it would be cheaper!
Reply 5
Original post by toni_n
I have the same problem! I'd like to live in halls/ be with other people on the course but it is very expensive. Thinking of going for a house share somewhere instead but that would be with strangers which is risky, even if it would be cheaper!

That's what I'm torn between. The PGCE is an exhausting year so it'd definitely be great to be living with people who are going through the same stress and understand what it's like. But the rent is insane! I'm looking at house shares as well because they'd be so much cheaper. At least we've got ages to decide. And it's a lot nicer to be stressing out over accommodation arrangements rather than whether I'll get an offer!
Reply 6
Original post by Mutinta
That's what I'm torn between. The PGCE is an exhausting year so it'd definitely be great to be living with people who are going through the same stress and understand what it's like. But the rent is insane! I'm looking at house shares as well because they'd be so much cheaper. At least we've got ages to decide. And it's a lot nicer to be stressing out over accommodation arrangements rather than whether I'll get an offer!

Very true! And they did say that there is no real rush for the places on campus as that building is reserved for PGCE students etc, we do have plenty of time to look at other options :smile: but I feel exactly the same as you, I'd feel like I'd be missing out a bit if others on the course were living together!
Reply 7
Hi! Well done on everybody who has recieved their offers! I have an interview for pgce primary on the 15th jan and im realllly nervous! I've never had a uni interview before and i have no idea what to expect. Is there anything i need to prepare for before and does anyone have any tips? Any advice or info on the day will be greatly appreciated guys!
Reply 8
Original post by staycxx04
Hi! Well done on everybody who has recieved their offers! I have an interview for pgce primary on the 15th jan and im realllly nervous! I've never had a uni interview before and i have no idea what to expect. Is there anything i need to prepare for before and does anyone have any tips? Any advice or info on the day will be greatly appreciated guys!

Hello! I'd never had a uni interview before either so I was the same. I found there wasn't much preparation needed really, as most of it was discussion in groups/ pairs about your own experiences and opinions. So you don't need to do much research into current educational issues etc, it's more about you :smile: the day is relaxed and everyone was really nice, you'll enjoy it!
Good luck :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by staycxx04

It's a really relaxed day. I was surprised at just how casual it was. There isn't all that much prep you can do, which I know isn't that helpful to hear but the tasks you get don't require you to do research really. My main piece of advice would be for you to reflect on your experience in schools and what you saw that was good/bad etc. Good luck with your interview!

Original post by toni_n
Very true! And they did say that there is no real rush for the places on campus as that building is reserved for PGCE students etc, we do have plenty of time to look at other options :smile: but I feel exactly the same as you, I'd feel like I'd be missing out a bit if others on the course were living together!

I sense I most likely will end up going for halls just because it's easier and it'd be nice to live with other people going through the intense stress of the PGCE. But I'm going to keep an eye out on rent adverts in case anything good comes up that is a nice bit cheaper than those halls.
Reply 10
Original post by Mutinta
I sense I most likely will end up going for halls just because it's easier and it'd be nice to live with other people going through the intense stress of the PGCE. But I'm going to keep an eye out on rent adverts in case anything good comes up that is a nice bit cheaper than those halls.

I think that will be my plan of action too :smile: it's tricky to know what sort of location to look in too isn't it, since we have no idea where our placement schools will be....but again, I am getting ahead of myself worrying that far ahead!

Perhaps it might be an idea later on in the year to set up a facebook group or something similar for those starting the course next year? I expect many will be in a similar situation regarding accommodation so there's always the possibility of the cheaper house share, with those on the course :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by toni_n
Hello! I'd never had a uni interview before either so I was the same. I found there wasn't much preparation needed really, as most of it was discussion in groups/ pairs about your own experiences and opinions. So you don't need to do much research into current educational issues etc, it's more about you :smile: the day is relaxed and everyone was really nice, you'll enjoy it!

Huge congrats on getting in! I've got my interview on 15th, you said previously about there being a teaching task given to you on the day. What did yours entail? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by beats88
Huge congrats on getting in! I've got my interview on 15th, you said previously about there being a teaching task given to you on the day. What did yours entail? :smile:

Hello, well done on the interview! We were given big books (I really don't know how else to describe them, the big class books? :tongue:) to look at and plan a lesson round, then we just had to present that :smile: I was so nervous when they said 'an unseen teaching task', I had no idea what to prepare myself for!
Reply 13
Original post by toni_n
Hello, well done on the interview! We were given big books (I really don't know how else to describe them, the big class books? :tongue:) to look at and plan a lesson round, then we just had to present that :smile: I was so nervous when they said 'an unseen teaching task', I had no idea what to prepare myself for!

Thanks for the help :smile: sooooo very nervous! Might see you in Sep!
Reply 14
Original post by beats88
Thanks for the help :smile: sooooo very nervous! Might see you in Sep!

Let us know how you get on, and fingers crossed :smile:
Hi everyone, congratulations to those who have had offers! I have my interview on 15th Jan :/ and am soooo nervous :frown: trying to prepare but like some have said i don't think there is much I can do, can anyone share a little about the day? anything I do need to know/do? also, this is a bit random but did anyone drive to the interview? was the car park busy/ did they open the barriers early? Thank you :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Hannah-Marie91
Hi everyone, congratulations to those who have had offers! I have my interview on 15th Jan :/ and am soooo nervous :frown: trying to prepare but like some have said i don't think there is much I can do, can anyone share a little about the day? anything I do need to know/do? also, this is a bit random but did anyone drive to the interview? was the car park busy/ did they open the barriers early? Thank you :smile:

I think the most important thing is just make sure you have all your documents/ photocopies! Other than that I can't think of anything you wouldn't already be prepared for as most of the activities/ tasks are given to you on the day.
If I remember correctly we started by giving all our photocopies etc in, then were given a presentation about the course. We were then split up into small groups where we did a few paired activities, then had the individual teaching task, then a group discussion of the maths investigation :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Mutinta
Hi!

Hi,
Although the halls at Oxford Brookes may seem expensive at first glance just remember that you won't be paying for a full year (which you would in a house rental) and that bills, internet and insurance are included in the price.

Pete
Original post by toni_n

hi all, i just had my interview today, i felt it went well -but thats what everyone said.
i just wondered how long it took for you to get your decision? they said wait up to a month?
secondly i live in oxford, just 5 mins from the harcourt hill campus, and have done all my life, so if anyones looking at accomodation in certain areas, id be happy to answer questions if i can!
thanks
gemma
Hi, I had my interview yesterday aswell :/ I just want to know right now! Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending