The Student Room Group

Combined Gas Law

Hi everyone,

I need help trying to understand the compound gas law PV/T = constant. I understand that Boyle's law PV = constant with constant temperature, Gay-Lussac's law P/T with constant volume = constant and Charles's law V/T = constant with constant pressure are all empirical results, but what I cannot see is how you combine them. How do I combine them if each one keeps one of the other variables constant?

Thanks.
From pV/T = constant you get pV = constant x T
If T is constant
pV = a constant x a constant = a constant(which is Boyle's Law)
Do the same for the other two laws and it's clear that the general gas law combines the three laws.
Reply 2
I understand that it holds when one variable is held constant but how does that prove it when all three are variable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Malabarista
I understand that it holds when one variable is held constant but how does that prove it when all three are variable?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

If you can derive the 3 gas laws from the combined gas law, then the combined law is valid.

Take F=ma

If I told you that a = F/m you would be happy. Yes?

1. If you keep m constant, a is proportional to F
2. If you keep F constant, a is inversely proportional to m

a = F/m combines both these statements 1 and 2
Reply 4
Original post by Stonebridge
If you can derive the 3 gas laws from the combined gas law, then the combined law is valid.

Take F=ma

If I told you that a = F/m you would be happy. Yes?

1. If you keep m constant, a is proportional to F
2. If you keep F constant, a is inversely proportional to m

a = F/m combines both these statements 1 and 2

Thanks very much, I can't believe I didn't see it like that, late nights must be getting to me or something. I am very grateful for your answer :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Malabarista
Hi everyone,

I need help trying to understand the compound gas law PV/T = constant. I understand that Boyle's law PV = constant with constant temperature, Gay-Lussac's law P/T with constant volume = constant and Charles's law V/T = constant with constant pressure are all empirical results, but what I cannot see is how you combine them. How do I combine them if each one keeps one of the other variables constant?

Thanks.

You could try a naive approach and simply multiply them all:

PV=c1PV = c_1 with units Pa l\text{Pa}\text{ l}
PT=c2\frac{P}{T} = c_2 with units Pa K\frac{\text{Pa}}{\text{ K}}
VT=c3\frac{V}{T} = c_3 with units l K\frac{\text{l}}{\text{ K}}

So:

PVPTVT=P2V2T2=c1c2c3PV \frac{P}{T} \frac{V}{T} = \frac{P^2 V^2}{T^2} = c_1c_2c_3 with units Pa2 l2 K2\frac{\text{Pa}^2\text{ l}^2}{\text{ K}^2}

Since P,V,T>0P,V,T > 0 we can take the positive square root to give:

PVT=c1c2c3=C\frac{PV}{T} = \sqrt{c_1c_2c_3} = C with units Pa lK=Nm2m3K=NmK=JK=JK1\frac{\text{Pa}\text{ l}}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m^{-2} m^3}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m}{K} = \frac{\text{J}}{\text{K}} = \text{J} \text{K}^{-1}
Original post by atsruser
You could try a naive approach and simply multiply them all:

PV=c1PV = c_1 with units Pa l\text{Pa}\text{ l}
PT=c2\frac{P}{T} = c_2 with units Pa K\frac{\text{Pa}}{\text{ K}}
VT=c3\frac{V}{T} = c_3 with units l K\frac{\text{l}}{\text{ K}}

So:

PVPTVT=P2V2T2=c1c2c3PV \frac{P}{T} \frac{V}{T} = \frac{P^2 V^2}{T^2} = c_1c_2c_3 with units Pa2 l2 K2\frac{\text{Pa}^2\text{ l}^2}{\text{ K}^2}

Since P,V,T>0P,V,T > 0 we can take the positive square root to give:

PVT=c1c2c3=C\frac{PV}{T} = \sqrt{c_1c_2c_3} = C with units Pa lK=Nm2m3K=NmK=JK=JK1\frac{\text{Pa}\text{ l}}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m^{-2} m^3}{\text{K}} = \frac{\text{N} m}{K} = \frac{\text{J}}{\text{K}} = \text{J} \text{K}^{-1}

I'm convinced! That demonstrates, for me, the validity of the general law from consideration of the individual laws.
My way was a case of reasoning in the other direction from the general to the individual.
I actually prefer your method.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest