The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Psychology A-Levels?

Would A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Psychology be strong enough to study medicine? Providing the appropriate grades are achieved in each? I have my concerns about psychology as I have been given the impression that perhaps it is not held as highly as other A-levels are. Could taking psychology at A-level potentially affect my application to University? Is this group of A-levels a strong set of A-levels?

Also, if you are studying or have studied A-level psychology, is/was the subject enjoyable in your opinion?

Thank you so much! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by SummerFl
Would A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Psychology be strong enough to study medicine? Providing the appropriate grades are achieved in each? I have my concerns about psychology as I have been given the impression that perhaps it is not held as highly as other A-levels are. Could taking psychology at A-level potentially affect my application to University? Is this group of A-levels a strong set of A-levels?

Also, if you are studying or have studied A-level psychology, is/was the subject enjoyable in your opinion?

Thank you so much! :smile:

I am looking to study dentistry and I currently study AS biology, chemistry, spanish and english literature! Yeah, the subjects you have chosen would be suitable, however, universities consider psychology to be a 'softer' and 'less traditional' a level so if I were you, I would change to a more traditional subject like history, maths, physics?

Also, getting into medicine/dentistry isn't all about relying on grades, you have to put the effort around school work.
You'll have to do a lot of work experience, voluntary work and extra-cirriculum studies! :')

Hope that helped:smile:
Reply 2
They'd be fine, you might be in a better position if you take Spanish to A2 rather than psychology, because uni's generally don't care too much about your 4th AS. Even if you do take psychology to A2, you should be fine for most uni's. (I'm a medicine applicant this year)
I took Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and English Lit and am now applying to medicine (and I have a place at Cardiff :biggrin:). I agree that it might look slightly better taking Spanish to A2 than Psychology but ultimately the important thing is to get those 3 As (or A*AA in a few cases)
Reply 4
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I took Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and English Lit and am now applying to medicine (and I have a place at Cardiff :biggrin:). I agree that it might look slightly better taking Spanish to A2 than Psychology but ultimately the important thing is to get those 3 As (or A*AA in a few cases)

woooo we do same subjects!:wink: how do you find it? :')
Reply 5

Congrats! I just got offered a place at Manchester yesterday and I'm over the moon :biggrin:

Oh and OP in case you were wondering, I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths to AS, and am doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics to A2. But don't worry, lots of people don't do maths, Ms. NinjaNerdFighter is a prime example :smile:.
Original post by Blashnet
woooo we do same subjects!:wink: how do you find it? :')

Great minds think alike :wink: I got increasingly annoyed with Spanish over my AS year but I dropped it after AS and now I'm a lot happier. The other three are great :biggrin: Although right now I'm writing English coursework and revising for Biology and Chemistry January exams so that's pretty horrible :tongue: How are you finding it?
Original post by jonnyb123
Congrats! I just got offered a place at Manchester yesterday and I'm over the moon :biggrin:

Oh and OP in case you were wondering, I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths to AS, and am doing Biology, Chemistry and Physics to A2. But don't worry, lots of people don't do maths, Ms. NinjaNerdFighter is a prime example :smile:.

Thanks :smile: Well done :biggrin: It feels so good knowing your hard work has paid off and you're going to medical school, doesn't it.

Yeah, I've met loads of people not doing maths. I also spoke to an Oxford medical graduate and she said that the bits of maths you do in medicine are pretty easy to grasp, it's mainly understanding statistics and things like that :smile:
I do bio chem psychology and maths ^_^
I will probably drop psychology since one of the unis i want to apply to requires maths at a2 -__-
Reply 9
Great minds think alike :wink: I got increasingly annoyed with Spanish over my AS year but I dropped it after AS and now I'm a lot happier. The other three are great :biggrin: Although right now I'm writing English coursework and revising for Biology and Chemistry January exams so that's pretty horrible :tongue: How are you finding it?

revising for january bio and chem exams right now haha!:smile:

yeah, i'm dropping spanish after this year! Much prefer English Literature
Reply 10
Thanks :smile: Well done :biggrin: It feels so good knowing your hard work has paid off and you're going to medical school, doesn't it.

Yeah, I've met loads of people not doing maths. I also spoke to an Oxford medical graduate and she said that the bits of maths you do in medicine are pretty easy to grasp, it's mainly understanding statistics and things like that :smile:

Well we still have to get the A2 grades, the final hurdle! I don't do January exams (thank god) so I can relax for a bit (or at least, I can afford to do less work than you over the next few weeks). But it's a good feeling knowing all we need to do is concentrate on those A2 grades now :smile:

Yeah maths exams scare me to be honest! I much prefer Physics, that's why I took it over maths, plus maths was my worst mark at AS and I didn't want to retake anything (and if I'd taken maths I would definitely have to have retaken one of the modules). Plus this year in physics there is a choice of 4 modules and one of them is medical physics :biggrin:.
revising for january bio and chem exams right now haha!:smile:

yeah, i'm dropping spanish after this year! Much prefer English Literature

Which exam boards are you on? (for all subjects) Good luck :smile:

It's so much better. And my teacher is probably the craziest but one of the best teachers in my whole school :biggrin:
Reply 12
Which exam boards are you on? (for all subjects) Good luck :smile:

It's so much better. And my teacher is probably the craziest but one of the best teachers in my whole school :biggrin:

BIO & CHEM - OCR
English & Spanish -WJEC

what about you?:smile:
Well we still have to get the A2 grades, the final hurdle! I don't do January exams (thank god) so I can relax for a bit (or at least, I can afford to do less work than you over the next few weeks). But it's a good feeling knowing all we need to do is concentrate on those A2 grades now :smile:

Yeah maths exams scare me to be honest! I much prefer Physics, that's why I took it over maths, plus maths was my worst mark at AS and I didn't want to retake anything (and if I'd taken maths I would definitely have to have retaken one of the modules). Plus this year in physics there is a choice of 4 modules and one of them is medical physics :biggrin:.

Yes, but I'm trying not to consider the possibility that I might not get the grades - there's enough pressure as it is! :P
Lucky :smile: Yes, it's so nice. The last few months have been so hectic.

Maths exams scare me too, that's why I didn't take them :wink: Makes sense. Chemistry was my worst subject :s-smilie: But that was due to one particularly bad exam and I figured I can always make up for it this year :smile: That's pretty cool :biggrin:
BIO & CHEM - OCR
English & Spanish -WJEC

what about you?:smile:

Bio and Chem are OCR too :biggrin:
English and Spanish are/were AQA. Is there a particular period/topic you study in English?
Reply 15
Yes, but I'm trying not to consider the possibility that I might not get the grades - there's enough pressure as it is! :P
Lucky :smile: Yes, it's so nice. The last few months have been so hectic.

Maths exams scare me too, that's why I didn't take them :wink: Makes sense. Chemistry was my worst subject :s-smilie: But that was due to one particularly bad exam and I figured I can always make up for it this year :smile: That's pretty cool :biggrin:

True that's a good mentality to have, obviously I'm aiming for As in them all too but thankfully due to my AS grades I can get mid Bs is chemistry and physics and a low B in biology this year and still average an A overall :biggrin:, of course lots of people do well at AS so it's not that uncommon, but it can help out with A2 more than people realise sometimes. It's nice to have that safety net but I'm still going to work as hard as ever. If not even harder, now I actually have a medicine offer!

And yeah there's just something about maths exams that scare me, science papers are nice and they take you through the questions bit by bit. In maths papers they just have like 10 questions on half a sheet of A4 and are like "Do this all. You've got an hour and a half" :tongue:, I don't like that.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 16
Bio and Chem are OCR too :biggrin:
English and Spanish are/were AQA. Is there a particular period/topic you study in English?

Woo go OCR science;D

I've got my atoms, bond and groups exam thursday
and my cells, transport and exchange surfaces wednesday :frown:

At the moment we're studying 1920s literature (great gatsby)
and 1950s poetry :smile:
True that's a good mentality to have, obviously I'm aiming for As in them all too but thankfully due to my AS grades I can get mid Bs is chemistry and physics and a low B in biology this year and still average an A overall :biggrin:, of course lots of people do well at AS so it's not that uncommon, but it can help out with A2 more than people realise sometimes. It's nice to have that safety net but I'm still going to work as hard as ever. If not even harder, now I actually have a medicine offer!

And yeah there's just something about maths exams that scare me, science papers are nice and they take you through the questions bit by bit. In maths papers they just have like 10 questions on half a sheet of A4 and are like "Do this all. You've got an hour and a half" :tongue:, I don't like that.

I'm in the same situation :smile: However, if Oxford accept me then I'm going to have to aim for an A* in at least one subject! :s-smilie: Yeah, I can see how people may feel demotivated if they get loads of rejections and not want to work but really that's the worst thing you can do.

That sounds nasty :s-smilie:
Woo go OCR science;D

I've got my atoms, bond and groups exam thursday
and my cells, transport and exchange surfaces wednesday :frown:

At the moment we're studying 1920s literature (great gatsby)
and 1950s poetry :smile:

So close? That must suck :s-smilie: I have Biology on Friday but then don't have Chemistry until the 22nd :smile:

I love The Great Gatsby. This year we're studying Love Through the Ages so I think I might use Great Gatsby for some of my wider reading :biggrin:
Reply 19
So close? That must suck :s-smilie: I have Biology on Friday but then don't have Chemistry until the 22nd :smile:

I love The Great Gatsby. This year we're studying Love Through the Ages so I think I might use Great Gatsby for some of my wider reading :biggrin:

Praying i'll pass them, want to get into dentistry so much :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest