The Student Room Group

Should I quit or wait to be fired?

Scroll to see replies

If you quit now, then your reference will probably say that you quit whilst under investigation for gross misconduct. However, that is better than being fired for gross misconduct.

Is there a manager / shop assistant who has been there for a long time, who you could talk to about this off the record? Perhaps it would be wise not to mention quitting, just ask about what is likely to happen for a first time offence such as this.

Original post by Michaelj
You can get a reference and I think by law they can't give a bad reference. But realistically speaking if you quit or get fired WOULD you ask for one? I think you should stick with this job for 3 weeks and look for a new one in the mean time. That way you have incoming funds for a while.

That's a common urban myth, but they can give you a bad reference. However they have to be able to back it up if need be, so that they cannot be sued for slander / libel by their former employee.
Original post by Origami Bullets
If you quit now, then your reference will probably say that you quit whilst under investigation for gross misconduct. However, that is better than being fired for gross misconduct.

Is there a manager / shop assistant who has been there for a long time, who you could talk to about this off the record? Perhaps it would be wise not to mention quitting, just ask about what is likely to happen for a first time offence such as this.

That's a common urban myth, but they can give you a bad reference. However they have to be able to back it up if need be, so that they cannot be sued for slander / libel by their former employee.

Hm I would think that because the gross misconduct was (on a scale of 1-10) quite low, if I was fired then at least I didn't run away and faced what was coming? and i can always explain this to future employees? (if they even consider my application that is) haha
but yeah will see
was this the first time you've ever done it/been warned? i must say it's quite harsh to take it this far if it's the first time you've done it :tongue: you said that a colleague of yours was going through the same thing, why did you do it if you'd seen what happened to him/her?
Reply 63
Original post by Tabzqt
why does it matter that much? o.O

We had to clock in, it's the time we started getting paid from, they could make it look like OP was trying to pretend she was working and get paid for time she wasn't really working. It's not a big deal though, I'm pretty sure most places would just tell you not to do it again, it's a shame for the OP.
Original post by deedee123
was this the first time you've ever done it/been warned? i must say it's quite harsh to take it this far if it's the first time you've done it :tongue: you said that a colleague of yours was going through the same thing, why did you do it if you'd seen what happened to him/her?

Yep first time but I shouldn't of in the first place, didn't know consequences until now even so I was dumb haha
Original post by gupta-mhm-mhm-mhm
Yep first time but I shouldn't of in the first place, didn't know consequences until now even so I was dumb haha

just don't mention that you worked there on your CV, it's better than putting it down and having to explain you were fired :tongue:
What sort of company do you work at for them to class THAT as gross misconduct? :eek:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
What sort of company do you work at for them to class THAT as gross misconduct? :eek:

Some establishments will classify that as 'Stealing time' ergo gross misconduct because it's classed as stealing.

OP: see if you can get your hands on the employee handbook. That will detail the process by which they address gross misconduct hearings. I believe you can bring someone to sit in with you.

To be honest if you're in this situation with them, would you even want to use them as a reference?
Reply 68
Original post by Future_Dr
Look I only read the title and I think you should quite smoking before you set your self on fire.

LOOL
If you get fired I think you can go on job seekers whilst you search for a new job?
But if you resign you won't be able to receive any help. So it depends, are you financially independent or do you still live with parents who are able to pay for your keep?

Did they not tell you to read a handbook with all the conditions and regulations? Because if you weren't instructed to have read that clocking in early is a gross misconduct then I don't see how they can fire you to be honest, because you weren't to know.
Reply 71
Ok so when/if I quit and ask for a reference they will ask me about going through disciplinaries?
If I don't have a reference after quitting and apply for another job but put this job as experience will they mind about not having a reference because I quit?
What i mean is if you use them as a reference the place your wanting to work at could ask your old job why you left for which they can reply that you were awaiting disciplinary action. Either way i wouldn't use this ob as a reference if you are fired/if you quit.
Reply 72
Arent you friends with a supervisor or something who can give a good reference?
Reply 73
Original post by Michaelj
Arent you friends with a supervisor or something who can give a good reference?

Most retail companies now don't allow personal references and the company just gives a generic 'they worked here from x until y, they were off x amount of times, they were late x amount of times, they didn't have any warnings on their record' type of thing.
Reply 74
Original post by EffieFlowers
If you get fired I think you can go on job seekers whilst you search for a new job?

Actually getting fired means you wont get any job seekers allowance
Reply 75
Original post by Origami Bullets

Employers can't give a former employee a bad reference , but they can refrain from writing certain skills/qualities that the employee possesses. such as if the employee wants to leave the the company before the period of notice that their contract states , the employer could leave out that the person is trustworthy and/or reliable.
Original post by BANS2012
Employers can't give a former employee a bad reference , but they can refrain from writing certain skills/qualities that the employee possesses. such as if the employee wants to leave the the company before the period of notice that their contract states , the employer could leave out that the person is trustworthy and/or reliable.

Of course. Indeed, they don't have to give a reference at all.

However, anything they do say must have some evidence behind it.
Reply 77
Original post by Smartcook
Actually getting fired means you wont get any job seekers allowance

You can't got on Job Seekers for 10 weeks after you are fired IIRC.
Reply 78
Original post by Trigger
You can't got on Job Seekers for 10 weeks after you are fired IIRC.

Well, that could potentially **** people up...
It doesn't sound like that much of a big deal to sack someone over tbh probably just a warning

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest