The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Is there any chance of getting fished tomorrow or is today it?

we have up until the 14th really
Reply 1481
People will probably get offers tomorrow but I pretty much already know I won't be one of them... Just the way my luck will go.
Reply 1482
Original post by Nayim
Would you reapply next year if you didn't get fished?

Nope.

I think the admissions tutors have packed up their fishing equipment and gone home for today. :frown:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Minerva
If you've had emails from both of them, and the timings of the interviews make sense, then don't worry. If you do want to check anything, I'd start with the CAO and work out from there - for instance if the timings mean you might need overnight accommodation.

I'm inclined to agree with your Dad; I think that's a perfectly reasonable way to proceed, given the timescales. The alternatives would be to ask your teacher to confirm that the 'clean' copy matches what was submitted originally, or to contact Emma and ask them to send the version they have across. All of which sounds like hard work to me. I'd go with your Dad :smile:

Welcome to TSR - and best of luck with the interviews!

Thanks so much for your help Minerva :smile: and for putting together all the info in this thread and calming all us fishies down (well calming as much as is possible given the situation :tongue:)
Reply 1484
Original post by Rose~
If they call wouldn't it be the number you put on your UCAS form?

I only had my mobile on my UCAS form, though they called me on my home phone. I was a little confused. May have been on my SAQ I guess.
Original post by ET2
Congrats! I also originally applied to pembroke for PBS and nervously waiting to hear...

when was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1486
Am I pooled automatically for having 3A* or is that only for mature applicants?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 1487
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck.

My daughter was here last year (autopooled) and this thread really helped her (and me!) during this horrid time. After an anxious Friday (she received her letter on Thursday) and weekend waiting by the phone, she called her preference college on Monday and asked them if she had been fished or rejected. She was told that her file had been returned and she had been rejected. It was not a nice moment.

After that she got on with life, accepted her second choice uni (a really good one) and worked hard.

Once she had her A level results (which were very good), she decided to withdraw her uni acceptance, take a gap year and reapply. It worked (she has an unconditonal offer for law) as it did for many other re-applicants - see the 2013 Cambridge applicants thread. Second time around we knew how the process worked and it was a lot less daunting :smile: My daughter has a temp job and will be using the money she is earning for travel later this year and towards her tuition fees - so she is making the most of her year off.

So if this time you don't get an offer, it doesn't necessarily have to be the end of the Cambridge dream if you don't want it to be. That said her friends who didn't get in last year, went off to university and are having a great time and are very happy with the unis they went to.

Good luck x
Original post by iamsherlocked
Heheheh :biggrin: It was just the first thing that came into my head - I did wonder if someone would pick up on it though! :tongue:

Aha, well good choice. And good luck in your two interviews as well! :biggrin: I hope it goes well for you.
Reply 1489
Original post by Confabulation
when was your interview?

Posted from TSR Mobile

5th December- yours?
It was a wednesday
(edited 11 years ago)
This shall cheer you nervous people up

Reply 1491
Original post by Mothero
I just wanted to wish everyone good luck.

My daughter was here last year (autopooled) and this thread really helped her (and me!) during this horrid time. After an anxious Friday (she received her letter on Thursday) and weekend waiting by the phone, she called her preference college on Monday and asked them if she had been fished or rejected. She was told that her file had been returned and she had been rejected. It was not a nice moment.

After that she got on with life, accepted her second choice uni (a really good one) and worked hard.

Once she had her A level results (which were very good), she decided to withdraw her uni acceptance, take a gap year and reapply. It worked (she has an unconditonal offer for law) as it did for many other re-applicants - see the 2013 Cambridge applicants thread. Second time around we knew how the process worked and it was a lot less daunting :smile: My daughter has a temp job and will be using the money she is earning for travel later this year and towards her tuition fees - so she is making the most of her year off.

So if this time you don't get an offer, it doesn't necessarily have to be the end of the Cambridge dream if you don't want it to be. That said her friends who didn't get in last year, went off to university and are having a great time and are very happy with the unis they went to.

Good luck x

The thing is I don't even have the guts to contact them to ask if I've been rejected or not. I don't know if I can face that... Maybe just let it sink in gradually.

And thanks for your kind and thoughtful words. I guess we will all have to move on with our life eventually. I will try.
same here, might have seen you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ET2
5th December- yours?
It was a wednesday

I might have seen you there!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1494
Are the conditions (offer conditions) for fished applicants higher than the conditions for normal offers? ...?
Reply 1495
Original post by Confabulation
same here, might have seen you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

My interviews were in the afternoon??? I didn't actually chat to anyone applying for psychology but might have seen you in passing! ahhh- i hate all this waiting... Selwyn is a really nice college- one of my best friends has a place there for law. did they phone or email you?
Original post by iCiaran
The fishing part of the pool is over, what we're waiting for atm is for them to communicate the results of that, which should happen within about 10 days

But isn't it the case that certain people who weren't fished by other colleges may be taken back by their original ones if the college finds no-one they prefer?
Reply 1497
Original post by Kidioteque
But isn't it the case that certain people who weren't fished by other colleges may be taken back by their original ones if the college finds no-one they prefer?

Yes but I believe that would also already be decided.
Original post by ET2
My interviews were in the afternoon??? I didn't actually chat to anyone applying for psychology but might have seen you in passing! ahhh- i hate all this waiting... Selwyn is a really nice college- one of my best friends has a place there for law. did they phone or email you?

they emailed me. mine were 2.15 and 2.30. how did yours go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1499
Original post by honggau
The thing is I don't even have the guts to contact them to ask if I've been rejected or not. I don't know if I can face that... Maybe just let it sink in gradually.

And thanks for your kind and thoughtful words. I guess we will all have to move on with our life eventually. I will try.

It wasn't an easy call but after 4 days we were desperate for news. I do understand - it's a call you wouldn't want to make. She had January modules and just needed to get back to normal life. I haven't checked the dates for this year, but by Monday last year the college knew which of its applicants had been fished and which had been rejected. Some were great at telling their applicants - I think Kings was the first to start notifying. I am not sure how long it would have taken to find out if she hadn't called. I think the whole pool waiting thing made things so much worse than a straight rejection. You just want to know one way or another.

Fingers crossed you get positive news x

Latest