The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for college?

Been reading around on this forum for a year. Thought I would finally join - hello :smile:

Anyway, I go to a boarding school and really don't want to be doing sixth form there as a boarder (I could be a day school but I live too far away) and I have only just recently started thinking about college. I asked my friends and they said it is too late to apply to college, is this true? I'm interested in art and design and website & games design. And I have been looking for colleges in london which are doing those courses. Does anybody know if it is indeed too late or do I still have a time?
Reply 1
Original post by Dilan97
Been reading around on this forum for a year. Thought I would finally join - hello :smile:

Anyway, I go to a boarding school and really don't want to be doing sixth form there as a boarder (I could be a day school but I live too far away) and I have only just recently started thinking about college. I asked my friends and they said it is too late to apply to college, is this true? I'm interested in art and design and website & games design. And I have been looking for colleges in london which are doing those courses. Does anybody know if it is indeed too late or do I still have a time?

It depends on the college. Mine still takes some students on in October, if the course isn't full. But others will have a deadline long before the start of the academic year.

So really, I doubt anybody here can tell you. The best thing to do would be to ring up the college and ask them.
Reply 2
Original post by dendodge
It depends on the college. Mine still takes some students on in October, if the course isn't full. But others will have a deadline long before the start of the academic year.

So really, I doubt anybody here can tell you. The best thing to do would be to ring up the college and ask them.

Thank you, i'm doing that right now!

I keep seeing online degree programmes on some sites. I assume this is getting a degree from without going to a physical college?
Reply 3
Original post by Dilan97
Thank you, i'm doing that right now!

I keep seeing online degree programmes on some sites. I assume this is getting a degree from without going to a physical college?

If you're only just starting college, it will be at least two years before you start studying for a degree. Unless you're from a different country and I gave you dud advice...
Reply 4
Original post by dendodge
If you're only just starting college, it will be at least two years before you start studying for a degree. Unless you're from a different country and I gave you dud advice...

oh no, i'm wrong. didn't read it properly and skimmed "degree"
Reply 5
Original post by Dilan97

It depends on the sixth form, most of the sixth form colleges I looked at when I was applying and looking around in South-East London took on applications until mid-August whereas majority of the sixth forms connected to a school would close their applications around the end of January/ beginning of February then they'd start the interview process around end of February/ beginning of March.

You'll have to look at the school/ colleges in your area and see what their deadlines are or contact them directly, explain your situation to them and see if they'll accept an application from you. Most wouldn't have a problem with this especially as you're a boarder at the moment :smile:
Original post by Dilan97

For most colleges it isnt too late. You can still apply. The colleges may have their own different deadlines though. Id get in touch with the colleges you are interested in, but you should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest