The Student Room Group

Controlled assessment on Monday!

Hiya,

I have controlled assessment planning on Monday and I am completely stuck on what to write.

I am on OCR and writing about home, town and local area.

I am not sure what to include or what tenses to get a me a high mark (for GCSE). I was going to include past, present, future and conditional. Is there any way I could include more tenses to score me a higher mark.

I don't know what to write about my local area. It should be about 200-250 words long and so far I've done about 80 :O

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What language?
Reply 3
Original post by Octopus_Garden
What language?

Oops :colondollar: I thought I put that. It is French :-)
That helps!

Right. Present, future, imperfect past, perfect past, conditional. Illustrating that you can use perfect pasts of not only verbs that take avoir, but also ones that use Être, would be good, too.

Try to show that you can conjugate verbs in more than just the 1st person singular (I), so incorporate we, they, he or she, and so on. Make sure to appropriately use whichever future tense (French has more than one) you've chosen.

Use adjectives and get the gender agreement and positioning correct (whether before or after noun). I expect getting pronouns in the right order could look impressive.

Hope this helps. I've only recently started French, so there could be lots else that you should include that we haven't covered yet.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
That helps!

Right. Present, future, imperfect past, perfect past, conditional. Illustrating that you can use perfect pasts of not only verbs that take avoir, but also ones that use Être, would be good, too.

Try to show that you can conjugate verbs in more than just the 1st person singular (I), so incorporate we, they, he or she, and so on. Make sure to appropriately use whichever future tense you've chosen.

Use adjectives and get the gender agreement and positioning correct (whether before or after noun). I expect getting pronouns in the right order could look impressive.

Hope this helps. I've only recently started French, so there could be lots else that you should include that we haven't covered yet.

Thankyou! It's just hard knowing what to write. I literally can't think of anything to write.

I don't know how to include past tense within my writing. I find it very hard to describe and talk about my town. I know how to use the past tense though.

Thankyou very much for your help!!! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you been given a list of five or six questions, suggesting what you could say, or do you know the actual topic title?

If I asked you what you hated about your town or what you liked best about it, what would you say? How would you improve it? If someone was visiting you, to which places would you take them?

If all else fails, look at the textbook, see what vocabulary it gives you and make something up, based on what you know how to say, rather than what you would really say about your town. But do not cannibalise entirely! The examiners have read the textbook(s) too, and will recognise whole sentences.

EDIT: is there a town you would like your town to be like, which you would find easier to write about?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Have you been given a list of five or six questions, suggesting what you could say, or do you know the actual topic title?

If I asked you what you hated about your town or what you liked best about it, what would you say? How would you improve it? If someone was visiting you, to which places would you take them?

If all else fails, look at the textbook, see what vocabulary it gives you and make something up, based on what you know how to say, rather than what you would really say about your town. But do not cannibalise entirely! The examiners have read the textbook(s) too, and will recognise whole sentences.

EDIT: is there a town you would like your town to be like, which you would find easier to write about?

We haven't been given any questions or the topic title but just what it should be about which is about our home, town and local area.

I am stuck on what to say about what happened in the town previously and talking in the past tense.

Thankyou for your help ;-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
"I went to [somewhere] and saw that there was graffiti everywhere", for example.

If you look at the OCR website, you can see controlled assessment specimens.
Using different tenses isn't that hard really. It's how we normally speak.

If I asked someone to introduce themselves, they might say:
Hi, I'm Lisa. I am [...] years old. I live in Twickenham. We used to live (imperfect) in Glasgow, etc. We moved (perfect past) to Twickenham 5 years ago. I like Twickenham, but the shops aren't as good as in Glasgow.
Reply 10
Original post by GoldGhost
Hiya,

I have controlled assessment planning on Monday and I am completely stuck on what to write.

I am on OCR and writing about home, town and local area.

I am not sure what to include or what tenses to get a me a high mark (for GCSE). I was going to include past, present, future and conditional. Is there any way I could include more tenses to score me a higher mark.

I don't know what to write about my local area. It should be about 200-250 words long and so far I've done about 80 :O

hey, I havent done french since GCSE but I can try and help!

we always had a check list

1. use present, past and future and conditional
2. opinions
3. justifications such as parce que
4. variety of vocab

there was a list of 15 things maybe more
I'll have a look for the list I have my french notes still and I'll send you a scan :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by MedMed12
hey, I havent done french since GCSE but I can try and help!

we always had a check list

1. use present, past and future and conditional
2. opinions
3. justifications such as parce que
4. variety of vocab

there was a list of 15 things maybe more
I'll have a look for the list I have my french notes still and I'll send you a scan :smile:

I've included a lot of present tense, no past tense, a bit of future, a couple of opinions and one line of conditional.

Using different tenses isn't that hard really. It's how we normally speak.

If I asked someone to introduce themselves, they might say:
Hi, I'm Lisa. I am [...] years old. I live in Twickenham. We used to live (imperfect) in Glasgow, etc. We moved (perfect past) to Twickenham 5 years ago. I like Twickenham, but the shops aren't as good as in Glasgow.

Thankyou ;-)

"I went to [somewhere] and saw that there was graffiti everywhere", for example.

If you look at the OCR website, you can see controlled assessment specimens.

Thankyou, I have tried to look, but I can't find any examples :-(
Reply 12
I've included a lot of present tense, no past tense, a bit of future, a couple of opinions and one line of conditional.

Thankyou ;-)

Thankyou, I have tried to look, but I can't find any examples :-(

include a past tense if you can
even if its not true- it doesnt have to be
e.g. we used to have a park near my house but...
I used to live in a small flat in London...
My town used to be very historical, but now its very modern with lots of restaurants and clubs

etc
Reply 13
include a past tense if you can
even if its not true- it doesnt have to be
e.g. we used to have a park near my house but...
I used to live in a small flat in London...
My town used to be very historical, but now its very modern with lots of restaurants and clubs

etc

Thankyou, you gave me an idea of what to write. Do you know 'to replace' but in the past tense, please. I was writing about something in my town, but I would like to say '... it was replaced with a supermarket'
Reply 14
Thankyou, you gave me an idea of what to write. Do you know 'to replace' but in the past tense, please. I was writing about something in my town, but I would like to say '... it was replaced with a supermarket'

replacer

or you can say remettre

i'd ask someone native :s-smilie: not me haha french for me wasnt my best
Reply 15
replacer

or you can say remettre

i'd ask someone native :s-smilie: not me haha french for me wasnt my best

I was thinking remplacer, but I can't remember how to conjugate the verb to 'it was replaced'. I think I have been overthinking and need a short break.
I found the specimen papers by googling "ocr gcse French controlled assessment". It was the top result. It briefly describes (in English) what you need for different grade bands.

I'd link directly, but I think (from previous experience) that direct links to the exam boards' websites are automatically placed in a queue for a moderator's approval.

Once you've got to the correct section, you'll find lots of stuff that will give you an insight into what the markers are looking for.

I know that writing can be difficult- I've spent too many nights staring at a blank sheet of paper, wondering what to write. In some ways, writing in a foreign language is easier, because your vocabulary is so restricted. It means you already know what words you will be using! From there, it's more rearranging to fit the title!

"It was replaced" sounds like an imperfect in the passive voice to me. You won't have been taught how to do that yet. You'll have to look that up!

Something like, "the company Tesco built a new supermarket there" could be a lot easier for you to do.
dit: you might not have been taught how to do that. Not "won't". Anyway, it would be very impressive if you used any kind of passive successfully. If you think you can do it accurately, definitely do!
Reply 18
That helps!

Try to show that you can conjugate verbs in more than just the 1st person singular (I), so incorporate we, they, he or she, and so on. Make sure to appropriately use whichever future tense (French has more than one) you've chosen.

Do you have to do all this for GCSE now :eek:? I did the GCSE when I was in year 10 and got an A and we only ever learnt the perfect, present and easy future ("going to go" sort of thing), and then a tiny bit of actual future. Needless to say I didn't take it past GCSE (I'm in year 13 now)
Reply 19
I found the specimen papers by googling "ocr gcse French controlled assessment". It was the top result. It briefly describes (in English) what you need for different grade bands.

I'd link directly, but I think (from previous experience) that direct links to the exam boards' websites are automatically placed in a queue for a moderator's approval.

Once you've got to the correct section, you'll find lots of stuff that will give you an insight into what the markers are looking for.

I know that writing can be difficult- I've spent too many nights staring at a blank sheet of paper, wondering what to write. In some ways, writing in a foreign language is easier, because your vocabulary is so restricted. It means you already know what words you will be using! From there, it's more rearranging to fit the title!

"It was replaced" sounds like an imperfect in the passive voice to me. You won't have been taught how to do that yet. You'll have to look that up!

Something like, "the company Tesco built a new supermarket there" could be a lot easier for you to do.

I thought it might have been " la piscine a été remplacé avec ..."

But I just don't know :-(

dit: you might not have been taught how to do that. Not "won't". Anyway, it would be very impressive if you used any kind of passive successfully. If you think you can do it accurately, definitely do!

Thankyou again for you help, I really appreciate it :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending