The Student Room Group

Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Psychology A-Levels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Blashnet
Praying i'll pass them, want to get into dentistry so much :frown:

I'm sure you'll be fine :smile: I know how that feels (for medicine though, obviously :tongue:)
Original post by Blashnet
I am looking to study dentistry and I currently study AS biology, chemistry, spanish and english literature! Yeah, the subjects you have chosen would be suitable, however, universities consider psychology to be a 'softer' and 'less traditional' a level so if I were you, I would change to a more traditional subject like history, maths, physics?

Also, getting into medicine/dentistry isn't all about relying on grades, you have to put the effort around school work.
You'll have to do a lot of work experience, voluntary work and extra-cirriculum studies! :')

Hope that helped:smile:

I beg to differ about psychology being considered as a 'softer' A Level. It's a science, maybe not a traditional one but universities regard it as a science when making offers. I think you'll find the likes of Russell Groups highly regard psychology as it prepares you with a vast majority of skills. Specifically on taking a degree in Psychology, they are the second most employable students from all subjects (geography being first) because it's a highly regarded discipline.

I suggest the creater of the thread wants to do Psychology to do it, I do it at A Level and it was nothing like I expected, yes I expected it to be 'softer'. It is however very fascinating although it has a quite a bit of maths and statistical testing content (on my exam board anyway) which is quite tedious and boring. You carry out your own experiments as part of my course and analyse the data using things like Chi Squared Tests or Spearman's rank correlation coefficient tests and has a large chunk on biological psychology which may help along with other studies :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
I'm in the same situation :smile: However, if Oxford accept me then I'm going to have to aim for an A* in at least one subject! :s-smilie: Yeah, I can see how people may feel demotivated if they get loads of rejections and not want to work but really that's the worst thing you can do.

That sounds nasty :s-smilie:

Ah good, didn't want to go on about it in case you weren't (you probably did better than me!). Wow yeah I very much doubt I'm getting an A*, thank god medicine is 3As (besides oxbridge of course :biggrin:), good luck with oxford, it'll be great if you get an offer.

And exactly. But now we do have offers it will act as extra motivation :smile:
Original post by emilypsychology
I beg to differ about psychology being considered as a 'softer' A Level. It's a science, maybe not a traditional one but universities regard it as a science when making offers.

Just one thing about this (to SummerFl) - as you wish to apply for Medicine, when people say on here that Cambridge (and possibly Imperial? I can't remember) need 3 Science A levels, they mean out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Psychology would not be counted.
For other courses however, it might be considered as a science.
And from what I've heard from my friends Psychology is a very interesting A level :smile:
Original post by jonnyb123
Ah good, didn't want to go on about it in case you weren't (you probably did better than me!). Wow yeah I very much doubt I'm getting an A*, thank god medicine is 3As (besides oxbridge of course :biggrin:), good luck with oxford, it'll be great if you get an offer.

And exactly. But now we do have offers it will act as extra motivation :smile:

Fair enough. I always feel bad about posting about having an offer to other medical applicants in case they've only had rejections.
You never know, you might well surprise yourself :biggrin:
Thanks :smile: Is Manchester your favourite place or are you hoping somewhere else will give you an offer too?
Hopefully :biggrin:
Just one thing about this (to SummerFl) - as you wish to apply for Medicine, when people say on here that Cambridge (and possibly Imperial? I can't remember) need 3 Science A levels, they mean out of Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Physics. Psychology would not be counted.
For other courses however, it might be considered as a science.
And from what I've heard from my friends Psychology is a very interesting A level :smile:

Yes, actually Oxbridge and the likes will be different in making offers from most other universities.
Psychology is interesting when you get past the maths, statistical testing and the methodology, that's why I've applied to do it at degree level :wink:
Reply 26
Having a language A-Level is great, I'd seriously recommend you do Spanish. I originally took Bio, Chem, Eng Lit and Psych but ended up switching from Psych to German after 2 weeks of college (personally I found psych sooo boring and just not very interesting at all, other people love it though) and I'm so glad I did! Languages are difficult at times but they're so rewarding as well.
Also, the amount of students who take language A-Levels is really low nowadays. In my college for example, there are 1100+ people in Year 12, and only 11 of us who do German. I think there's only about 30 - 40 who take French and roughly the same for Spanish, compared with hundreds who take the more popular subjects like Bio, Maths, English etc. So having a language A-Level is not only enjoyable but it makes you stand out from others.
To answer your question, those subjects are fine for medicine - I think unis like to see candidates for medicine who not only excel at sciences but show strengths in other areas as well. You've just gotta make sure you work as hard as you can to get the right grades, and work experience etc :smile: good luck!
Reply 27
Fair enough. I always feel bad about posting about having an offer to other medical applicants in case they've only had rejections.
You never know, you might well surprise yourself :biggrin:
Thanks :smile: Is Manchester your favourite place or are you hoping somewhere else will give you an offer too?
Hopefully :biggrin:

Ha thanks, I'm just aiming for As though! Honestly I don't have a first choice, I just wanted an offer from somewhere, which I've now got :biggrin:. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

I have had an interview at Glasgow though so I'm waiting to hear the outcome of that, but like I said, I've got the all important first offer. If I get more than one it will complicate things as I'll have to choose between 2 great unis!
Yes, actually Oxbridge and the likes will be different in making offers from most other universities.
Psychology is interesting when you get past the maths, statistical testing and the methodology, that's why I've applied to do it at degree level :wink:

Won't there be a fair bit of statistical testing and methodology at university? (I know very little about Psychology degrees :tongue:)
How's that going? Got any offers yet? :smile:
Original post by jonnyb123
Ha thanks, I'm just aiming for As though! Honestly I don't have a first choice, I just wanted an offer from somewhere, which I've now got :biggrin:. Anything on top of that is a bonus.

I have had an interview at Glasgow though so I'm waiting to hear the outcome of that, but like I said, I've got the all important first offer. If I get more than one it will complicate things as I'll have to choose between 2 great unis!

Which is why it will be even better if you end up getting an A* :biggrin:
Makes sense. I had a sort of order of preference but I made sure to keep in mind the good points of all the universities so I wouldn't feel bad for not getting in to any particular one :smile:
That's good. Having the luxury of a choice would be a nice position to be in though. The choice itself might be difficult but it would be great to be like 'not only one but TWO medical schools want me!' :biggrin:
Won't there be a fair bit of statistical testing and methodology at university? (I know very little about Psychology degrees :tongue:)
How's that going? Got any offers yet? :smile:

Yes but I don't mind, I actually enjoy maths but the maths we do on my psychology course is a bit monotonous at times :smile: I'm good at methodology too so there's my advantage point. It's going well, I have offers off Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland - Sunderland being the one if things really do go wrong which I highly doubt. Waiting on York and Durham now, Durham being my firmer regarding I get an offer :biggrin:

I think in addition to a post further above about someone dropping psychology, it's a bit like marmite, you either love it or you hate it. I think people need a natural aptitude and keen interest to be able to do it well, a lot of the people in my class got E's at AS D:
Reply 31
Thank you so much for all of your help everyone. :smile: My application for college is due in tomorrow and I will be putting down these four subjects! I will most probably drop psychology at AS level. However, if I find that I'm really not enjoying psychology, the college I'm applying to allows a bit of movement within the first two weeks and I may choose to change to another subject. Ooo I'm so nervous to start my A-Levels, but I'm preparing myself for two years of hard work from September onwards.

On the topic of work experience, I should be okay. I already know of one care home that would be happy to let me do some work experience there, which is a start. Roughly how much experience is needed?

Just revising for my GCSE science exam on Wednesday at the moment haha!

Thanks again guys. :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by SummerFl
Thank you so much for all of your help everyone. :smile: My application for college is due in tomorrow and I will be putting down these four subjects! I will most probably drop psychology at AS level. However, if I find that I'm really not enjoying psychology, the college I'm applying to allows a bit of movement within the first two weeks and I may choose to change to another subject. Ooo I'm so nervous to start my A-Levels, but I'm preparing myself for two years of hard work from September onwards.

On the topic of work experience, I should be okay. I already know of one care home that would be happy to let me do some work experience there, which is a start. Roughly how much experience is needed?

Just revising for my GCSE science exam on Wednesday at the moment haha!

Thanks again guys. :biggrin:

I actually started out with AS french, but after about a week I realised I was awful at it and managed to switch to maths, even though maths was already oversubscribed! So yeah as long as your school is lenient with that sort of thing you should be fine to change.

Well I'd say aim for 2 main work experiences: a long term voluntary placement in some kind of caring capacity (i.e care home, hospice etc. I did a year in a hospice, actually I'm technically still doing it). And a short term clinical attachment, if you can get it. This might be a week in a GP surgery or in a hospital itself. These are very difficult to get so don't beat yourself up too much if you can't find one, universities generally acknowledge the difficulty of obtaining experience like this. It's the long term thing that really matters the most. If you can get some though, great! If not, try and go to seminars, lectures, university summer schools or things along those lines aimed at medicine (medlink is a popular one).

Personally I had 3 main work experiences: the hospice voluntary work, a week with a GP and a week with GapMedics getting experience in a hospital in Thailand (which was amazing, but so expensive! Look them up if you want to find out more). My friend though much less work experience and he has an offer for UCL so you don't need loads and loads!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 33
I beg to differ about psychology being considered as a 'softer' A Level. It's a science, maybe not a traditional one but universities regard it as a science when making offers. I think you'll find the likes of Russell Groups highly regard psychology as it prepares you with a vast majority of skills. Specifically on taking a degree in Psychology, they are the second most employable students from all subjects (geography being first) because it's a highly regarded discipline.

I suggest the creater of the thread wants to do Psychology to do it, I do it at A Level and it was nothing like I expected, yes I expected it to be 'softer'. It is however very fascinating although it has a quite a bit of maths and statistical testing content (on my exam board anyway) which is quite tedious and boring. You carry out your own experiments as part of my course and analyse the data using things like Chi Squared Tests or Spearman's rank correlation coefficient tests and has a large chunk on biological psychology which may help along with other studies :smile:

if you go on the list that the russel group univesities provide, they put psychology in the 2nd section, saying that they will accept it, but it is not as strong as a traditional a level in the 1st section.
Reply 34
Original post by SummerFl
Would A-levels in Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Psychology be strong enough to study medicine? Providing the appropriate grades are achieved in each? I have my concerns about psychology as I have been given the impression that perhaps it is not held as highly as other A-levels are. Could taking psychology at A-level potentially affect my application to University? Is this group of A-levels a strong set of A-levels?

Also, if you are studying or have studied A-level psychology, is/was the subject enjoyable in your opinion?

Thank you so much! :smile:

Hi! I am currently taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Spanish. I am struggling with maths and I think I want to change it to psychology. It seems interesting. I'm in my 3rd week of AS level and I don't want maths to take over my other subjects. I spend too long on my homework for it. HELP! xxx

Quick Reply

Latest