The Student Room Group

Am I crazy? Quitting my career to move abroad

So this has been such a difficult decision for me to make. Here's some background.

i finished university back in 2011 and moved away to Canada to work for a year. The jobs weren't much, just retail work but the quality of life was great, I met some fantastic people and is without doubt one of the best years of my life. I came back in the summer of 2012, worked the Olympics and was then unemployed until November. I now have a well paid job (albeit temporary) though its not what I want to do long-term.

Today I made the hard decision to leave and head back to Canada. Ill be going from a salaried role back to retail, but I am in the position where I'm not tied down by anyone/thing in the UK and I still have friends living in Canada. It really was a case of now or never.

As I saw it, jobs may come and go, and in this climate I know I have given up a lucky position in full time work but I had to weigh that up against the quality of life out in CA. I would hate to have regrets down the line that I missed the opportunity to finish what I'd started.

I suppose I'm just looking for reassurance that I've made the right decision. A lot of my friends think I'm mad! This is more like a diary entry, but the decision making has been eating me up for weeks, I just ha s to get it off my chest.

Thanks for reading
Reply 1
Just ask yourself if you are running to something or if you are running away from something. If you want to go back to Canada to get away from the responsibilities you now have as a working adult and you think that somehow going to Canada will make you feel better about your life, then don't go. If there is something waiting for you in Canada, then of course go. You don't want to go back to Canada hoping to recapture the joys of your past and find that there is nothing there for you.

Canada isn't all that special of a place, it's actually a relatively inhospitable environment even if the people here claim otherwise.
Reply 2
I wouldn't say I'm running away from anything here. I really enjoy the job I'm currently in, and I could easily see myself doing it for the foreseeable future. I was looking forward to getting a flat, a car and settling down. I just always had this nagging feeling in the back of my mind that I hadn't fully experienced things whilst I was out there.

I personally feel as though Canada is a wonderful place. I was located around Vancouver and whistler during my time there. I managed to visit the island also. The lifestyle compared to the UK is so much more relaxed and healthy. I'm going back as much for that as the people who made it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Okay well I was just thinking that there is kind of a lull that everyone goes through when entering young adulthood and it's difficult to know when to grip to your youth and keep the excitement going or to just try and start settling down early. I really don't know what happens when you settle down so you might be best off to just go with whatever comes to you, if that means running off to Canada then do it.

Canada is alright and of course there's more to do here, though it's not all it's made out to be, especially Vancouver and Whistler. Whistler is kind of the place where kids from all over the country decide to live for a while as ski bums, usually after high school or university, so there's a definite Whistler bubble. The experience there is nothing like the rest of the country and it's kind of like being on a permanent vacation. Vancouver is deceptive in the sense that it is beautiful and looks like a great city but underneath it's cosmetic appeal the city is dead. The city has been built by foreign money for the past however many years and as a result it appears to be a full metropolitan city but it isn't filled out, with all kinds of foreign owned condos that have few occupants and residences that few can afford leaving the city with a very divided populace. Check out this article about Vancouver http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mitch-moxley/welcome-to-vancouver-no-fun_b_1931606.html.

Like I'm not saying don't come to Canada I'm just saying British Columbia maybe seems like paradise on the surface but appearances can be deceiving. There's lots more to experience in Canada, I'm from Ontario and the place is fine, Quebec's alright too, just don't rush into anything.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by parkas90

I personally feel as though Canada is a wonderful place. I was located around Vancouver and whistler during my time there. I managed to visit the island also. The lifestyle compared to the UK is so much more relaxed and healthy. I'm going back as much for that as the people who made it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been living on Vancouver Island for over a year now - I love it here. Can go surfing, canoeing, skiing/snowboarding, sea kayaking and play golf all on the same day. Pretty awesome lifestyle I think. And I do agree that there's a more relaxed pace of life here....and people are more laid back than in the UK (huge generalisation but hey). Good for you for following your heart and heading back out here. I'm guessing you're using another Working Holiday Visa? If so, the year on that will give you some good perspective.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Gemini, I remember reading your posts back in jan 2011. If I recall you were considering around the same time as me. I'm glad you took the plunge and by the sounds of things are enjoying it as much as I did! It really was a case of heart or head. Maybe we are automatically deterred from our own country but I'm looking forward to coming back out to the West coast for another batch of the good life. Don't get me wrong, I aim to work hard and if a career option comes about then I will gladly consider it. I want to play hard in my life too, and if that means giving something up in the short term - in this case my current job - then I hope 50 years down the line ill have a lot more to look back on than had I stayed :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jnkesd
Just ask yourself if you are running to something or if you are running away from something. If you want to go back to Canada to get away from the responsibilities you now have as a working adult and you think that somehow going to Canada will make you feel better about your life, then don't go. If there is something waiting for you in Canada, then of course go. You don't want to go back to Canada hoping to recapture the joys of your past and find that there is nothing there for you.

Canada isn't all that special of a place, it's actually a relatively inhospitable environment even if the people here claim otherwise.

Disagree I absolutely loved Canada when I went there on holiday, best place I've been, totally understand the OP about it being relaxed and healthy
Reply 7
Yup Canada is an awesome place, I plan on possibly moving back someday! It's just a much happier/relaxed feel... Hard to describe to those that are not from there or haven't been there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I think you've made the right decision. You're more likely to regret the things you don't do in life. I spent a summer in Florida and when I came back to England I honestly was having dreams (that were making me upset so they were kind of like nightmares) about missing the place too much. It was like I had to go back and I hated being in England. For the next 2 summers whilst at Uni I didn't bother doing any more Summer programs because I had a house with my bf and was pretty settled with work and studying. Now i'm regretting it so much that I didn't make the most of being a student and go off and do something again. The only thing I can be thankful for is that I still have this summer to go abroad and work in America again. I'm still with my bf but I often wonder whether like you i'm just going to wanna get up and go back in the future. I think I will but I think it's something to look forward to. You'll know if it feel's right once you go :smile:

I used to think i'd settle down about 25, get a house and kids and work forever etc etc. Everytime I experience more the age gets pushed back.. I'm 22 now and I don't see myself doing any of those things until i'm at least 30 now. There's no rush in settling down so if you want to experience more get it done now whilst you can :biggrin:
Reply 9
You're young and you still have plenty of time to make decisions about a career. As you get more permanent jobs it gets increasingly difficult to do the things you want to do (such as travel), and do you want to have regrets? Always thing 'what if?'

Go to Canada again, and if you still love it then perhaps try and move out there permanently and have your career there?
Reply 10
Interesting thread.
I presume that you went out the first time on a working holiday visa? What about this time? Will Canada actually let you in on a permanent basis when they (presumably) have plenty of their own unemployed retail workers?

Other than that, is there any reason why you can't have career development in Canada?
Reply 12
Original post by SofiBee
I think you've made the right decision. You're more likely to regret the things you don't do in life. I spent a summer in Florida and when I came back to England I honestly was having dreams (that were making me upset so they were kind of like nightmares) about missing the place too much. It was like I had to go back and I hated being in England. For the next 2 summers whilst at Uni I didn't bother doing any more Summer programs because I had a house with my bf and was pretty settled with work and studying. Now i'm regretting it so much that I didn't make the most of being a student and go off and do something again. The only thing I can be thankful for is that I still have this summer to go abroad and work in America again. I'm still with my bf but I often wonder whether like you i'm just going to wanna get up and go back in the future. I think I will but I think it's something to look forward to. You'll know if it feel's right once you go :smile:

I used to think i'd settle down about 25, get a house and kids and work forever etc etc. Everytime I experience more the age gets pushed back.. I'm 22 now and I don't see myself doing any of those things until i'm at least 30 now. There's no rush in settling down so if you want to experience more get it done now whilst you can :biggrin:

That's the thing. I'm constantly thinking about it. Like all the time. It would be a bigger regret, I feel, if I didn't go back than if I did, didn't get on with it this time, and came back after a few months. There are other jobs out there. They may be hard to come by, but they're out there.

Original post by Gemma345
You're young and you still have plenty of time to make decisions about a career. As you get more permanent jobs it gets increasingly difficult to do the things you want to do (such as travel), and do you want to have regrets? Always thing 'what if?'

Go to Canada again, and if you still love it then perhaps try and move out there permanently and have your career there?

It's certainly something I'm considering. When I was last out there it didn't seem as though BC had suffered the recession as much as the UK or America...

Original post by Origami Bullets
I presume that you went out the first time on a working holiday visa? What about this time? Will Canada actually let you in on a permanent basis when they (presumably) have plenty of their own unemployed retail workers?

Other than that, is there any reason why you can't have career development in Canada?

Yes, it was a working holiday visa, and that's what I'll be going out on this time too. I'm hoping the rumours are true, and that it is a 2 year pass this time. I realise that working in retail wouldn't get me a permanent visa for Canada, but I will certainly be looking at the skilled labour jobs that are available when I'm there. Truth be told, the job I've been offered is there as a lifeline, allowing me to have my foot in the door before I head back! If I do it for a few months before I move on to something more 'substantial', then its money in the bank for the time being :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
i don't think you're mad at all. infact i am very much envious of you. as cheesey as it sounds you should always follow your heart! regret the things you do do, not the things you don't! good luck to you!
Reply 14
And even if you decide you don't like it when you go, you won't have any regrets because you've got to do it to know whether it's worth it or not.

I always wanted to live in London and so I moved there for a year. Hated every minute of it! But I don't regret it because if I hadn't have gone I know i'd be sat here right now thinking aww I wish I'd have moved to London I bet it would be fabulous..

:P Let us know how you get on anyway, I'd like to visit Canada one day and see some bears lol x

Quick Reply

Latest