The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

EDIT: OH LOOK 66 LIKES - DOES THAT MEAN WE ARE ALL RACIST?!

THE TRUTH HURTS!
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anonymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

Where the hell did you get that from?

Plus, if you're living in an area with high ethnic minority populations, then surely, they would constitute a major makeup of the businesses e.g. Subway.

"Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities." - what are you on about?

"I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about" - what's the problem then?

Skin colour shouldn't be a factor when it comes to judging people.
Reply 2
well apparently most of london is now occupied by ethnic minorities so youd better get used to it.

i know how you feel though.

whoa, what's with all the neg?
(edited 11 years ago)
My life is too short to worry about these things.

I will flow where the waves take me.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
Where the hell did you get that from?

Plus, if you're living in an area with high ethnic minority populations, then surely, they would constitute a major makeup of the businesses e.g. Subway.

"Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities." - what are you on about?

"I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about" - what's the problem then?

Skin colour shouldn't be a factor when it comes to judging people.

We could be here all night. People of all colours judge on colour, it's a simple fact. White, black, asian you name it.

This thing about trying to beat white people down when they raise any issues is exactly why white English people won't exist in London in about 20 years. We don't have a voice!

EDIT: It's not coincidence that alot of white people are moving to places like Hertfordshire, Essex and Guildford as well as leaving to live in places like Australia.
(edited 11 years ago)
White people make up the majority of where I live in my part of London, probably cos it's Bromley. I suppose it varies from borough to borough. If you've ever seen Made in Chelsea, nearly everyone on that is white, and they all unmistakeably live in London.
Reply 6
Its not racist to have a racial preference to girls ............if you want to just have solely white friends because you feel you'd fit in better then go for it.

I don't have any issue.........to be fair I know people from different backgrounds........I couldn't care what colour they were, as long as they are nice people and worth the time to talk to and be good friends and we respect one another then it should be fine.

Plus businesses aren't allowed to discriminate..............they hire on the basis of who they think will do the best and be value for money, if it has to be a bunch of asians who show this and on merit excel then so be it. Why would any business hire someone just cos of their colour, it would be against the law.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people.

Then don't move out............I dont even see the point your making.....you live in London, then start being social and find people. Cos why would people who are either Asian, Black, etc move out just cos of your preference.....London is there home too not just yours. Everyone has negatives of where they live, thats reality and people live by it every day so grow up.
Reply 7
I read there was about a 50/50 ratio in London. What you experience will all depends on where you live, if you go to South Kensington you'll meet A LOT of French people but if you down south greater London you might find a high density of Indians/surrounding countries. That's just the way multiculturalism works, OP, you're going to be fine just relax. You'll meet plenty of white people if you go and look for them! Move to Scotland or the deep north and that's pretty all you'll see.
Reply 8
I didn't read all of that but I believe in the London borough I live in (Hackney), ethnic minorities make up 53% of the population, so yes, if you are white and live in Hackney, you are technically a minority!

(Nobody seems to have a problem with it though besides you)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
White people make up the majority of where I live in my part of London, probably cos it's Bromley. I suppose it varies from borough to borough. If you've ever seen Made in Chelsea, nearly everyone on that is white, and they all unmistakeably live in London.

Well Bromley is truely an EXCEPTION. It was recorded on the census as the number 1 place in London where white English natives live. So that is different.

Yes but made in Chelsea are guess what? Well off, very well off. They don't live in Lambeth or Catford ... they live in Kensington and Knightsbridge.
I think you're talking a lot of nonsense. Many areas of London are diverse (in that, they also have white people in them, amongst other skin tones).

But, personally, I cannot identify with what you're saying, probably because the area I went to school/lived in had lots of white people as well as those of other skin tones.
Reply 11
Original post by Parx
We could be here all night. People of all colours judge on colour, it's a simple fact. White, black, asian you name it.

This thing about trying to beat white people down when they raise any issues is exactly why white English people won't exist in London in about 20 years. We don't have a voice!

EDIT: It's not coincidence that alot of white people are moving to places like Hertfordshire, Essex and Guildford as well as leaving to live in places like Australia.

Yeah, because white people are socio-economically better off, so are about to move from the centre, to the the urban fringe for better houses and quality of life.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Oh yes, Bromley haha. They even have a Topshop there. You won't find the likes of TopShop in places like Catford or Lewisham. :rolf:
Reply 13
Original post by Iqbal007
Its not racist to have a racial preference to girls ............if you want to just have solely white friends because you feel you'd fit in better then go for it.

I don't have any issue.........to be fair I know people from different backgrounds........I couldn't care what colour they were, as long as they are nice people and worth the time to talk to and be good friends and we respect one another then it should be fine.

Plus businesses aren't allowed to discriminate..............they hire on the basis of who they think will do the best and be value for money, if it has to be a bunch of asians who show this and on merit excel then so be it. Why would any business hire someone just cos of their colour, it would be against the law.

Then don't move out............I dont even see the point your making.....you live in London, then start being social and find people. Cos why would people who are either Asian, Black, etc move out just cos of your preference.....London is there home too not just yours. Everyone has negatives of where they live, thats reality and people live by it every day so grow up.

Like I said I have no problems being friends with anyone from any backgrounds. I don't care where they are from. But why should I not want to meet some white English people, being one myself and living in the capital of England. This includes meeting girls for dating etc

You say start being more social but you're still not seeing my point. My point is that unless you went to a good school with a balanced student base, you will never really get a good opportunity to have a good social life as a white working class person in London. It's so much harder to create a social life from virtually scratch after school (I'm 22 now), and it's made even harder in London because the culture of English people isn't really present as it is so mixed up. The only place where white English people mix is through middle class circles.
Original post by Parx

The fact of the matter is, regardless of all of your nonsense, Britain still retains a massive majority of white people. Maybe you should move out of parts of London, then your narrow worldview will be shattered?

South West England, maybe? Or the North? Like York or Scunthorpe or Sheffield?
Reply 15
Original post by Parx

So basically white people are facilitating the lack of white people in London... :facepalm:
Reply 16
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
The fact of the matter is, regardless of all of your nonsense, Britain still retains a massive majority of white people. Maybe you should move out of parts of London, then your narrow worldview will be shattered?

South West England, maybe? Or the North? Like York or Scunthorpe or Sheffield?

You didn't read my post then did you. I've lived outside of London. I've lived in the South West and in the Midlands for a bit. And yes there were plenty of white people there so it was easier to make friends. But I know that I need to stay in London until I sort my education out and get myself on the ladder.
Reply 17
Original post by Parx
Like I said I have no problems being friends with anyone from any backgrounds. I don't care where they are from. But why should I not want to meet some white English people, being one myself and living in the capital of England. This includes meeting girls for dating etc

You say start being more social but you're still not seeing my point. My point is that unless you went to a good school with a balanced student base, you will never really get a good opportunity to have a good social life as a white working class person in London. It's so much harder to create a social life from virtually scratch after school (I'm 22 now), and it's made even harder in London because the culture of English people isn't really present as it is so mixed up. The only place where white English people mix is through middle class circles.

I never said you did.............all I'm saying its not racist to have a racial preference when it comes to girls or to friends within reason.

Thats not true to be fair..........social doesn't mean you need a good school to get to know people. It can literally be anything, all it requires is a good friendly connection, whether its at work, or whatever..........there should even be online places for people looking to make new friends.
Middle class circles of white English people mix as well, should know a few from college,etc
Reply 18
Original post by ameritus
So basically white people are facilitating the lack of white people in London... :facepalm:

No. The lack of white people and the breaking up of English culture is facilitating white people emigrating to areas where white people and white culture is present.
Reply 19
I'm not English, but I grew up in N.Ireland and I've heard it's been a culture shock for some English people coming here because of the lack of ethnic minorities. When I was growing up, for a long time it was just White people and Chinese people, but more recently there's been an influx of Eastern Europeans, Black people and Muslims, and honestly, I think it's great! I work in a restaurant where all the staff are either locals, Eastern European or Southern European. There used to be more Chinese people working there, but not so much anymore.

I grew up in a very predominantly white area (as in, there were literally no ethnic minorities in my street) and my school was almost 100% white middle class students, but we did have Asian and Chinese students, they were probably the most popular kids actually, and everyone got along fine. Maybe there's a different feeling towards non-white people in England, because there's more of them, but here most people get along fine. I went to London a few weeks ago, and at no point did I ever feel like "Hey, where'd all the white people go?" maybe it was because I was staying in Piccadilly, but for me, the more ethnically diverse, the better. Being around your own race and nationality is nothing but a bore - there's so much to learn from non White people or non UK people and their cultures and I'd much rather have a group of friends who are from all over the place than from the same race, same country and same background. But that's just me.

Latest

Trending

Trending