The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You can tell it's the weekend when threads like these pop up
Let's pause for a second.

Would there be anything wrong with an African person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a Middle Eastern person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

The list is exhaustive. People can get really touchy about someone expressing the desire to meet up with people of the same culture because of the racist connotations (as he's white).

There's really nothing wrong with it. The OP is welcome to seek out his culture. He has racially diverse friends, he isn't saying he won't hang out with non white people, he just (admittedly very inarticulately) wants to spend time with people from the same culture as him, possibly to deal with insecurities he's having with his cultural identity.Most people act as if because people are white, they don't have a right to feel the need to be in touch with their culture and background. That's not the case, it's very important to feel a sense of identity.

Personally, I have never felt this desire. I know two white guys who are my friends, and then at least 10+ in my close circle that aren't. I don't find it to be an issue, as I'm quite secure in my racial identity. Perhaps OP, you should work on that yourself. Try to just accept who you are, and you'll start to realise that there's no real difference between races, and no need for all these feelings. :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Parx
I don't mean to be rude but you are way way off. It's easy to go to central London and think that on a day out. Try living in the real London outside the center and see if you have the same opinion after a few years.

Genuine question: What is it you're trying to achieve through this thread? Does it really bother you that much?
Original post by Parx

EDIT: It's not coincidence that alot of white people are moving to places like Hertfordshire, Essex and Guildford as well as leaving to live in places like Australia.

You said yourself that the lack of white-Brits in inner-London is a class issue. It stands to reason that richer people will move out of the city and commute in. It's always been that way.
Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
No, you don't get it. It's for a reason. Commercial businesses don't just set up shop in random areas - they place them in strategic locations after studying the demographic, racial and economic factors affecting such areas. For example, the Primark in Catford stocks up cheaper stuff; whereas whilst the Bromley Primark stocks up some of the same things, it also stocks up much more expensive (as in, expensive for Primark) stuff. It's all planned well, because Bromley retains more higher income residents than say, Catford or parts of Lewisham. By the way, I'm talking about near the Glades Shopping Centre here.

Ah, I never really thought of it that way, but good point :yy:

And OP, if you're specifically talking about just inner London, that's fine. But saying just London means you could easily be talking about any of the outer London boroughs as well, and saying that "Bromley isn't really London" is just factually incorrect tbf.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by Parx
Yes but all that is alot easier said than done. Doing it in London is VERY difficult. I've lived in London for the past 8 years, attended some right dodgy schools/colleges. Am social as your average guy on the street. Infact my past and having lived abroad makes me a bit different and gives me something to say for myself that's a bit out of the normal. I have no problem getting along with people - but meeting white groups of people who become your friends? It's actually quite hard because as I said white people don't mix in groups anymore due to multiculturalism, unless they are coming from a middle class sort of background. That's why if I headed to Bromley tomorrow I'd see bucketloads of white English girls - because Bromley is generally a very well off area with lots of white English natives.

Its London we are talking about, about 6-7 million in a small amount of land, the largest city in the UK..........with the most social events, groups and clubs in the UK.
Its certainly possible I would say a group of white people, but certainly individuals where after it expands on from there.
It doesn't generally where you go, but there white people in a lot of places, its just you need to be social and join clubs, it happens over time, you just never ever know when. Bromley seems ok, quite cheap in terms of buying a house.
Reply 46
Original post by Arirang
Genuine question: What is it you're trying to achieve through this thread? Does it really bother you that much?

Well what is it you're trying to achieve by asking me that? Anything?
Original post by ameritus
Haha Woodford isn't technically in Essex, we're still in a London borough! :p: But true, it's very "English" here like you say.

Hah, true, I went to school there and it always confused me how it could be in Redbridge and Essex at the same time, but that's true of a few places in the borough!
Reply 48
Original post by Parx
Well what is it you're trying to achieve by asking me that? Anything?

Don't be so defensive. What am I trying to achieve? Trying to see the point in why this thread is posted. Are you just complaining? Or are you trying to find other people who understand how you feel? Because if you are, then that would make some sense.
the real reason is why minorities keep asking for diversity. they deffinatley do nt ask for it in the majority's interest. so who's interest is it in? all is does is cater to them, and empower them. replaces the original culture n race with theirs.

yet they want their own countries to remain the same, they preach the exact opposite here.
end of story.
Reply 50
Original post by Arirang
Don't be so defensive. What am I trying to achieve? Trying to see the point in why this thread is posted. Are you just complaining? Or are you trying to find other people who understand how you feel? Because if you are, then that would make some sense.

Welleither contribute to the discussion or don't bother. This is a forum. I can make a thread without some person like you coming along trying to be all pompous for no good reason.
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Let's pause for a second.

Would there be anything wrong with an African person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a Middle Eastern person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture? No.

The list is exhaustive. People can get really touchy about someone expressing the desire to meet up with people of the same culture because of the racist connotations (as he's white).

There's really nothing wrong with it. The OP is welcome to seek out his culture. He has racially diverse friends, he isn't saying he won't hang out with non white people, he just (admittedly very inarticulately) wants to spend time with people from the same culture as him, possibly to deal with insecurities he's having with his cultural identity.Most people act as if because people are white, they don't have a right to feel the need to be in touch with their culture and background. That's not the case, it's very important to feel a sense of identity.

Personally, I have never felt this desire. I know two white guys who are my friends, and then at least 10+ in my close circle that aren't. I don't find it to be an issue, as I'm quite secure in my racial identity. Perhaps OP, you should work on that yourself. Try to just accept who you are, and you'll start to realise that there's no real difference between races, and no need for all these feelings. :smile:

Brilliant post and one of the only posts on this topic that shows common sense and a viewpoint that isn't completely blinkered. I would pos-rep you but I must have repped you last and it won't let me.

If, for example, an Asian female from an area in which white English folk are the majority, and let's just say it is classed as a middle/higher class area, complained about the lack of multiculturalism in that area there would be agreements and rants about how white people are the rich and non-white are the poor. This board is so fricking unbelievably biased against white people. It's absurd. You are not racist for wanting to meet people of your own culture nor are you narrow minded.

To the OP: There's nothing much you can do except move. You shouldn't have expected sympathy or honest advice from the majority of posters here. Most are that blinded by their hatred for anything that isn't John Lennon-esque they fail to see their own introverted racism.

EDIT: I will point out that I do aim to move to Australia myself. Not because I dislike non-white people but because I realise the battle against politically correct, leftist morons is lost. We will lose our identity in time. If they want this island to become what it is becoming then they are free to it; I have no undying love for it and I will not lose sleep when the worst happens.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Parx
Welleither contribute to the discussion or don't bother. This is a forum. I can make a thread without some person like you coming along trying to be all pompous for no good reason.

I'm not trying to be pompous - I'm just asking questions which you won't answer. You're no fun at all! But, whatevs, I'll leave you to do whatever it is you're doing - have fun with this one~!
Reply 53
Original post by Blackburn_Allen
Brilliant post and one of the only posts on this topic that shows common sense and a viewpoint that isn't completely blinkered. I would pos-rep you but I must have repped you last and it won't let me.

If, for example, an Asian female from an area in which white English folk are the majority, and let's just say it is classed as a middle/higher class area, complained about the lack of multiculturalism in that area there would be agreements and rants about how white people are the rich and non-white are the poor. This board is so fricking unbelievably biased against white people. It's absurd. You are not racist for wanting to meet people of your own culture nor are you narrow minded.

To the OP: There's nothing much you can do except move. You shouldn't have expected sympathy or honest advice from the majority of posters here. Most are that blinded by their hatred for anything that isn't John Lennon-esque they fail to see their own introverted racism.

EDIT: I will point out that I do aim to move to Australia myself. Not because I dislike non-white people but because I realise the battle against politically correct, leftist morons is lost. We will lose our identity in time. If they want this island to become what it is becoming then they are free to it; I have no undying love for it and I will not lose sleep when the worst happens.

You are not racist for wanting to meet people of your own culture nor are you narrow minded.
You own *culture* is not the same as your own *race*. And yes, if someone only wanted to hang out with other black people, despite ME being black, then I would consider them racist (And have myself told other black people that they have been racist)

I will point out that I do aim to move to Australia myself.

I find it quite amusing that your solution in what you consider the problem of *others* moving into *your* land is to move to someone *else's* land. But do go on

Brilliant post and one of the only posts on this topic that shows common sense and a viewpoint that isn't completely blinkered.

In other words, a post that agrees with your sentiments......
Cannot believe London's been allowed to get the way it is.
Original post by JoannaMilano
Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture, but only so long as they're white? YES.

Read the first line, saw that you'd changed my post to make it wrong. Don't open with a strawman, I won't read the rest :h:
Reply 56
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Read the first line, saw that you'd changed my post to make it wrong. Don't open with a strawman, I won't read the rest :h:

I'm not sure how she changed your post?
Reply 57
speaking from a historical point of view, the only native British were probably primitive human beings migrating from Africa and then formed into most likely Celtics or early pagan tribes but most of them were killed off when the roman empire invaded the region. what i'm trying to say is the phrase native makes no sense knowing all human beings originated from the same place. but more to the topic at hand the ethnic diversity in London differs from region to region for example i live in Ealing and white people make up quite a large number of the population but although there are slight cultural differences everyone seems to get along for example iv'e noticed most white people tend to hang out in pubs and bars so the only difference iv'e noticed is mostly between those that drink alcohol and those that don't other than that no one seems to pay attention to the race to number ratio in groups. if you think about it its pretty ridiculous i felt in a similar situation when i went to a school with predominantly white people and felt completely out of place but after getting to know people and making friends i found out everyone is pretty much the same and fear of change was inhibiting my irrational thinking. just relax its not as big as you might think it is and this kind of thinking is what causes people to fixate on racial differences and join hate orientated groups and right wing nut jobs.
Reply 58
I can maybe understand you wanting to meet BRITISH people with british culture but you're saying they have to be white? Britain isn't about being white, it's about being British you moron. Btw, white British people are still the most abundant so they're not a minority like you're claiming.

You say something about the people of London being different, they may well be different and if you don't like it, you can move. Londoners will act like Londoners, they aren't going to change for you. That's like coming to Britain and saying I don't like British people because they act like British people.

Do everyone a favour and move to Mars, I've heard theres no black/asian people there.
OP is spot on.

Latest