The Student Room Group

Rank UK Universities by Prestige

Okay so just put your personal ranking of the top 10 UK universities based on which you believe to be most prestigious. Here's my ranking:

1. University of Oxford
2. University of Cambridge
3. University College London
4. Imperial College London
5. London School of Economics
6. University of St. Andrews
7. King's College London
8. University of Edinburgh
9. University of Manchester
10. University of Glasgow

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what a ridiculous thread. Prestige does NOT matter.
Doesn't make sense. I'd sooner have a degree in Physics from Imperial than from UCL. But in Architecture from UCL than from Cambridge. In Maths from Warwick or Bath than King's. I'd study Social Policy at Bristol before any of those you name (yes, including the LSE) and after Bristol and the LSE would choose Cardiff. I'd do Chemistry at York before doing it at most of those you name, and Linguistics there before anywhere else. I'd do Critical Theory at ****ing Middlesex.

I could go on and on with it. The point is that you study for a degree in a department.
Reply 3
Original post by Azarimanka
what a ridiculous thread. Prestige does NOT matter.

Actually it does matter, it's what makes a degree worth something in the job market. A university could provide the best education in the world but if no one's heard of the institution no one would care to attend. For universities reputation is everything. Prestige is reputation.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by cambio wechsel
Doesn't make sense. I'd sooner have a degree in Physics from Imperial than from UCL. But in Architecture from UCL than from Cambridge. In Maths from Warwick or Bath than King's. I'd study Social Policy at Bristol before any of those you name (yes, including the LSE) and after Bristol and the LSE would choose Cardiff. I'd do Chemistry at York before doing it at most of those you name, and Linguistics there before anywhere else. I'd do Critical Theory at ****ing Middlesex.

I could go on and on with it. The point is that you study for a degree in a department.

Than make your own ranking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by jnkesd
Than make your own ranking.

Okay.

1. My interpretation of the situation.
2. Yours.
If you'd flip LSE and UCL, and replace the bottom 3 by warrick, durham, I'd agree.
Reply 7
It only matters because employers think it matters.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 8
no Durham? no Warwick?
Reply 9
I used to fap over university rankings and then I grew up and realized that life's not about going to the 6th best university instead of the 10th best. When I was at school all I used to care about was getting into the most prestigious university over actually going somewhere that I'd like. I ended up hating it at two of the universities on your list. Now fast forward a couple years and i'd like to get into any reputable university eg Russell Group, graduate and start my career. It is true that going to a good university makes you stand out and has better facilities but I look back on my days of being unhappy with a university just because it was number 7 rather than number 4 which was just plain ridiculous. In the real world real achievements = doing well on your degree/making a difference to the world/making money, none of which have have anything to do with getting into a top 5 uni or whatever.
Durham should be up there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11

The topic is overall prestige, which has nothing to do with separate courses.

Original post by jnkesd
1. My interpretation of the situation is that you're a jackass.
2. Go f yourself

Steady on Tarby, you'll want to bear in mind the ranking that matters most here:

1. Keeping a healthy sense of perspective.
2. Getting irate at strangers on the internet.
Reply 13
Steady on Tarby, you'll want to bear in mind the ranking that matters most here:

1. Keeping a healthy sense of perspective.
2. Getting irate at strangers on the internet.

Yeah I was hoping you didn't see that before I deleted. I'm sorry... Didn't sleep last night, overreacted.
Original post by jnkesd
Yeah I was hoping you didn't see that before I deleted. I'm sorry... Didn't sleep last night, overreacted.

No problemos buddy.
Stupid thread.
Reply 16
Oxbridge is going to stay at the top anyway!

In my country, City University is also highly regarded.
Reply 17
Go and look at world rankings such as QS rankings, in order to get a better picture, because they rank unis on the basis of citations, international outlook, teaching, research and inovation and reputation with employera..while domestic rankings concentrate on the feedback of current students and how satisfied they are, and many unis force theyr students to fill these out. Manchester for example does not, and therefore it does not do too well on domestic rankings..

Reply 18
Original post by On The Horizon
Stupid thread.

It seemed like a good idea when I created it. I stand by it.
Reply 19
Original post by jnkesd
Actually it does matter, it's what makes a degree worth something in the job market. A university could provide the best education in the world but if no one's heard of the institution no one would care to attend. For universities reputation is everything. Prestige is reputation.

It is the person who ultimately gets the job, based on their abilities and work experience. University name is typically of little to no importance, though there are obviously exceptions.

Prestige is abstract and to some extent subjective.

For example, didn't you once say that Warwick isn't well known outside the UK? Strange, then, that most of the international students obsessed with prestige and recognition of UK universities overseas actually place Warwick as

Any major employer will be aware of all universities in the country, particularly Russell Group universities. In fact, some of the largest, most targeted universities in the country are not in your list.

In fact, in global employer reviews universities universities such as Durham, Warwick and Bath are higher, or as high, than some of the universities in your list.

So where did you pull your list from?

Latest

Trending

Trending