The Student Room Group

Scottish Higher Prelim Timing

My prelim examinations begin on Monday, 28th January, 2013. This means that, as I'm sure you noticed, there are 24 days until the first exam.

I have been doing what I like to call "light revision" for about 5 days now: skimming over notes, past papers etc. Tomorrow, I plan to start properly revising, which will entail working through past papers and compiling detailed study cards.

Do you think, with 23 days, I have left enough time to revise thoroughly?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Reply 1
Original post by Supertwadds
My prelim examinations begin on Monday, 28th January, 2013. This means that, as I'm sure you noticed, there are 24 days until the first exam.

I have been doing what I like to call "light revision" for about 5 days now: skimming over notes, past papers etc. Tomorrow, I plan to start properly revising, which will entail working through past papers and compiling detailed study cards.

23 days is more than enough time for studying for your prelims, especially given you've already been doing light revision. What subjects are you doing, out of interest?
Reply 2

Yeah thats fine :smile: thats what im planning to do, p.s have you already receive your timetables?!
Reply 3
No point studying hard just make sure you pass them enough to not get kicked out the subject, prelims aren't a great indicator of how you'll do in final exam
Reply 4
Original post by Ecosse_14
23 days is more than enough time for studying for your prelims, especially given you've already been doing light revision. What subjects are you doing, out of interest?

I'm doing Maths, English, History, Modern Studies and RMPS. Reasonably easy mix of subjects, generally. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by MC1723
Yeah thats fine :smile: thats what im planning to do, p.s have you already receive your timetables?!

We haven't yet, no. We've been told by our English teacher when the English prelim will be though, so it's inevitable that the rest will be soon after. I would imagine timetables will be given out a couple of weeks before the beginning of the exams :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by n x
No point studying hard just make sure you pass them enough to not get kicked out the subject, prelims aren't a great indicator of how you'll do in final exam

But surely you would want the best grades possible as if you do badly in the actual exams you can get an appeal and thus bump your mark up...?
Reply 7
We haven't yet, no. We've been told by our English teacher when the English prelim will be though, so it's inevitable that the rest will be soon after. I would imagine timetables will be given out a couple of weeks before the beginning of the exams :smile:

Oh okay :smile: I thought you had your timetable because at our school we start our prelims on the 21st, whether that is a good or bad thing i dont know, and thought that would apply to all Scottish schools, cause i know that holyrood starts on the 21st is well, and I got a bit confused haha
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm doing Maths, English, History, Modern Studies and RMPS. Reasonably easy mix of subjects, generally. :smile:

make sure you put your best effort into Modern Studies as it's so easy to get an appeal if you have a good prelim. About 20 people in the class last year appealed and every single one was accepted. 15 in my year appealed and again, every single one was accepted.
Reply 9
Thank you for the advice, deedee123.
Reply 10
Original post by MC1723
But surely you would want the best grades possible as if you do badly in the actual exams you can get an appeal and thus bump your mark up...?

I don't think prelims are good because you still haven't learnt some of the course, the only one I'm really bothered about doing well in is english :smile:
Reply 11
I've started studying for my prelims, but mine aren't in January. My schools S5/6 prelims start 15th February.
Reply 12
Original post by n x
I don't think prelims are good because you still haven't learnt some of the course, the only one I'm really bothered about doing well in is english :smile:

But they allow you to appeal if you do bad, surely if you got a 1 the prelim for a subject and then 3 for that exam you would want the mark bumped up cause it may prevent you from taking a subject at a higher level. Personally both, the prelim and the actual exam, should deserve an equal amount of attention; were you study hard for both and put your all into it. (And yeah I would like to do well in my subjects but especially english too :smile:)
Reply 13
Original post by RossB96
I've started studying for my prelims, but mine aren't in January. My schools S5/6 prelims start 15th February.

I seriously thought all Scottish schools had them on the day.. I think I may prefer having them earlier; just so they are out of the way and we can move on

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending