The Student Room Group

Exam Clash.

I have an exam clash on the 17th January at 9AM.

WJEC AS ICT 1 Exam & EDEXEL Religious Studies 2 ; Philosophy & Ethics

I'm wondering has anyone got any tips or advice. I've been told that I will have a supervised 10-15 minutes break between.

However the RE exam I was going to do first as I have to memorise an entire essay for that, I feel that after that exam I'll remember nothing for the ICT exam.

Is there anyways of getting a longer break?

Scroll to see replies

You need to talk to your school/ college about it :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by iBlueBox

I'm wondering has anyone got any tips or advice. I've been told that I will have a supervised 10-15 minutes break between.

However the RE exam I was going to do first as I have to memorise an entire essay for that, I feel that after that exam I'll remember nothing for the ICT exam.

If the exams add up to 3 hours or less (and I'm guessing that they are 2 90 minute exams so they don't) then you are allowed a break of up to 10 minutes between them so the answer is no.
Original post by Data
If the exams add up to 3 hours or less (and I'm guessing that they are 2 90 minute exams so they don't) then you are allowed a break of up to 10 minutes between them so the answer is no.

You're allowed a break? Is that enshrined in law or anything? It's just that when my exams amounted to fewer than three hours I was forced to sit them consecutively.

Get used to it. There's no way you can space out every exam so you get hours break in between.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Inquisitive
You're allowed a break? Is that enshrined in law or anything? It's just that when my exams amounted to fewer than three hours I was forced to sit them consecutively.

It's not a right. Most schools go for one exam straight after the other as it is so much easier to administrate, but they are allowed to give a break of up to 10 minutes if they want.
Reply 6

I have exactly this on the 18th. We get to do the first at 9.30 and the second one at 1.30 - but we're completely supervised throughout the gap between, but we can revise.
Reply 7

depends on how long they are. You may get a 10-1 5minute break on your own in silence or you may not.

I think you should revise before hand dont depend on the break-youll need to relax

I had a 2 hour 30 minute exam then a 1 hour 45 minute chemistry exam so needed the break between

however my friends doing m1 and c1 only got a 5 minute break between both exams (and in the hall!) so they had to sit 3 hours worth of exams D:
Reply 8
Original post by lornarose
I have exactly this on the 18th. We get to do the first at 9.30 and the second one at 1.30 - but we're completely supervised throughout the gap between, but we can revise.

This is against exam regulations so I wouldn't go on about it in public or it might stop.
Reply 9
My RE exam is 75 minutes where as my ICT exam is 135.
Original post by Data
It's not a right. Most schools go for one exam straight after the other as it is so much easier to administrate, but they are allowed to give a break of up to 10 minutes if they want.

Ah okay, fair enough. :smile:
Reply 11
My RE exam is 75 minutes where as my ICT exam is 135.

In that case having one in the morning and one in the afternoon is fine.
Reply 12
Original post by Data
In that case having one in the morning and one in the afternoon is fine.

How would I go about asking this? As when I asked the guy who's in charge of exams in our school he said that I would only be allowed 10-15 minutes supervised.

Is there any official government text or page of exam boards that say this?
u have to sit them one after the other they might give u a slight supervised break and if u even want to go to bathroom it will be supervised. they see it as what if ur friends have already sat the exam and tell u the answers outside of the exam hall etc even though u would have no time to look at notes or whatever. there is no way at all you will be able to have one in afternoon and one in morning if they are both morning exams. i know from experience. in the 15 mins destress and clear ur head of one subject and ease mentally into the other subject x
Reply 14
Original post by Data
This is against exam regulations so I wouldn't go on about it in public or it might stop.

No it isn't, some people have a three way clash and so have to be supervised all day. In some (really, really rare) circumstances when the exams are long and can't all be taken in one day, the student has to go home with a teacher and be supervised until the next morning and isn't allowed to communicate with anyone. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :s-smilie:
Reply 15
Original post by chrissie19913
u have to sit them one after the other they might give u a slight supervised break and if u even want to go to bathroom it will be supervised. they see it as what if ur friends have already sat the exam and tell u the answers outside of the exam hall etc even though u would have no time to look at notes or whatever. there is no way at all you will be able to have one in afternoon and one in morning if they are both morning exams. i know from experience. in the 15 mins destress and clear ur head of one subject and ease mentally into the other subject x

Checking on WJECs website though it states,

2.10 If candidates are taking two or more papers timetabled in a session and the total time is more than three hours including extra time and/or supervised rest breaks, you may conduct an examination in a later or earlier session within the same day, without the need to complete any paperwork. Prior permission from an awarding body is not required. However, the security of the examination must still be maintained.
Reply 16
How would I go about asking this? As when I asked the guy who's in charge of exams in our school he said that I would only be allowed 10-15 minutes supervised.

Is there any official government text or page of exam boards that say this?

The regulations are here (http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/ice---instructions-for-conducting-examinations ), first pdf, para 2.7. The regs only say you may move exams if there is more than 3 hours, so it appears not to be a right though almost all centres do it.
:eek: I have 2 exams in June...

Chemistry Unit 2 - GCSE
C4 - A Level

= 1hr30 + 1hr30
= 3 hours

What can I do? :eek:
Original post by Damask-
No it isn't, some people have a three way clash and so have to be supervised all day. In some (really, really rare) circumstances when the exams are long and can't all be taken in one day, the student has to go home with a teacher and be supervised until the next morning and isn't allowed to communicate with anyone. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. :s-smilie:

The TSR member:

lilGem

Went through this :console:
Reply 19
Original post by Damask-

You misunderstand me. What I sad is that you are not allowed to move exams from one session if the exams add up to 3 hours or less. Where they add up to more than this they are moved all the time.

The rule requiring candidates to go home with a teacher was removed about 10 years ago when people started getting worried about child protection. These days it is normal for a responsible adult (e.g. a parent) to sign to say they will prevent you communicating with anyone or using the internet..

Quick Reply

Latest