The Student Room Group

How do you park next to the kerb? (Pull up next to this kerb)

My instructor has taught me to line my car parallel to the kerb and then a slight turn to the left and checking the left mirror will help be close to the kerb. However, I keep forgetting this or steer too much. How do you pull up next to a kerb? I'd like to see how other people have been taught. I need to know as I've been on 43 lessons and still don't get it perfect! Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

LOL I've been driving for about 8 months now and I still can't park next to the kerb. Either I go too far and hit the kerb or too back and there's too much space left. Wasn't really taught this when I took lessons.
Reply 2
Original post by TheProdigy2k9
LOL I've been driving for about 8 months now and I still can't park next to the kerb. Either I go too far and hit the kerb or too back and there's too much space left. Wasn't really taught this when I took lessons.

I know mate. My instructor taught me like once in 4 months because it's "easy to do" but clearly it isn't -_- and he's telling me to book my test...

Posted from TSR Mobile
What you've got to do is steer towards the kerb a bit, and slow down so that you stop.
Reply 4
Original post by placenta medicae talpae
What you've got to do is steer towards the kerb a bit, and slow down so that you stop.

He says I steer too much to the left and don't look out the front so I end up hitting it :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Could you try lowering your left mirror down and practicing when you can see what you are doing, then take the mirror away and see if you can do it knowing the movements. I know some people that were taught parallel parking using this method, to learn when to start steering right. After awhile you are able to do it without the aide of the mirror.
Reply 6
Original post by @Sam
Could you try lowering your left mirror down and practicing when you can see what you are doing, then take the mirror away and see if you can do it knowing the movements. I know some people that were taught parallel parking using this method, to learn when to start steering right. After awhile you are able to do it without the aide of the mirror.

Good idea. I'll ask my instructor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Another good idea is to find a spot on your windowscreen (when parked) that lines up with the kerb. Then when you pull in use that as a guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Dowster
Another good idea is to find a spot on your windowscreen (when parked) that lines up with the kerb. Then when you pull in use that as a guide.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would that be the middle of the windscreen? My instructor never gave me a reference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Dowster

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's exactly what my instructor told me what to do. It really helps! It's the same when reversing backwards - when I stopped close enough to the kerb, he told me to look at a marker on the back window that was touching the kerb and make sure I keep them as close as possible to each other. My reversing improved loads!
Reply 10
Original post by Liammm
That's exactly what my instructor told me what to do. It really helps! It's the same when reversing backwards - when I stopped close enough to the kerb, he told me to look at a marker on the back window that was touching the kerb and make sure I keep them as close as possible to each other. My reversing improved loads!

I definitely need to ask my instructor to give me a reference point then! :biggrin:
My dads a driving instructor and about 300 people have passed with him and yeah the best method is by finding a point on the mirror that lines up with the kerb. My dad teaches in a Vauxhall Corsa so the point ( turning point) which lines up with the kerb is the front door handles. So you just need to find the point and remember it.
Reply 12
Original post by TCGTi
I definitely need to ask my instructor to give me a reference point then! :biggrin:

You should.. you'll find it much easier! The more accurate the point is, the better you'll be, for example in my case, I had Toyota written on the back.. instead of going just for the T, I'd go for the bottom of the T. I know it may seem insignificant, but I found it to be much more accurate. I just need to find a new point now since I'm now gonna be in a different car! :tongue:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Original post by Liammm
You should.. you'll find it much easier! The more accurate the point is, the better you'll be, for example in my case, I had Toyota written on the back.. instead of going just for the T, I'd go for the bottom of the T. I know it may seem insignificant, but I found it to be much more accurate. I just need to find a new point now since I'm now gonna be in a different car! :tongue:

Good luck! :biggrin:

Thanks! My dad usually just goes in and reverses, it's so much easier reversing I think. How'd your test go? Pass it first go?
Reply 14
Original post by TCGTi
Thanks! My dad usually just goes in and reverses, it's so much easier reversing I think. How'd your test go? Pass it first go?

Yeah the test went quite well... ended up with 7 minors so I'm happy enough :smile: Yeah I passed on the first go just before Christmas so it was a pretty good present! Insurance starts next Wednesday so I'll be out next week! Have you got yours soon?
Reply 15
Original post by Liammm
Yeah the test went quite well... ended up with 7 minors so I'm happy enough :smile: Yeah I passed on the first go just before Christmas so it was a pretty good present! Insurance starts next Wednesday so I'll be out next week! Have you got yours soon?

Wow really nicely done and good luck with your driving! My instructor's told me to book it. I'll re-post it on here to tell you the result whenever I do my test. Is your insurance under your parent's name?
Reply 16
Original post by TCGTi
Wow really nicely done and good luck with your driving! My instructor's told me to book it. I'll re-post it on here to tell you the result whenever I do my test. Is your insurance under your parent's name?

Thanks! Hopefully you'll do yours soon then. My instructor told me to book mine quite early since the waiting time for me was a month so hopefully yours will be soon! All the best when it comes!

Yeah, insurance is under my parent's name.. muuuch cheaper!
Reply 17
First practice not hitting the kerb, getting it a good foot away... then get a feel for how this ... feels..

then when youve done that, begin doing it again but turn closer to the curb, you might feel like your gonna hit it but you wont :smile:

Another way is, the central part of the dashboard of the car should point towards the kerb, then steer other direction and go forward :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Liammm
Thanks! Hopefully you'll do yours soon then. My instructor told me to book mine quite early since the waiting time for me was a month so hopefully yours will be soon! All the best when it comes!

Yeah, insurance is under my parent's name.. muuuch cheaper!

Yeah I really hope so, had around 8 months of driving so glad I'm ready. Yeah definitely much cheaper under parent's name, what car you getting the insurance on mate?
Reply 19
Original post by kinglynx
First practice not hitting the kerb, getting it a good foot away... then get a feel for how this ... feels..

then when youve done that, begin doing it again but turn closer to the curb, you might feel like your gonna hit it but you wont :smile:

Another way is, the central part of the dashboard of the car should point towards the kerb, then steer other direction and go forward :smile:

Really good advice thanks! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending