The Student Room Group

A levels to be a pilot.

Hi Guys,

I want to be a commercial pilot when I am older and I would like to know if any of my 'preferred' choices would be considered as 'soft options.'

I am in year 10, but start A2 maths in June! I know all of the GCSE syllabus, and know all the modules off of the AS level syllabus.

I am thinking of choosing:

Maths (Currently in progress through self-teaching) - Predicted an A for AS
Further Maths (Start in year 12)
Physics (Start in year 12)
Biology (Start in year 12)
English language or lit or media studies. (I want to do media studies, but I know it is considered soft.) (Start in year 12)

My questions:

Would airliners think these choices are suitable?
Is media studies considered a soft option? Which out of media studies, English language and English literature would help me most?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I'm not entirely sure but if you want to have a good chance on these Pilot training schemes (Like CTC & Oxford Aviation ones) then do your maths and further maths and physics A Levels for definite. Then go to Uni and do an Aviation Engineering degree. Also get yourself a PPL, either paid for by yourself or ask your local airfields if they do volunteering schemes where you work at the airfield (unpaid) and they give you free flying lessons.

That would give you a good chance. I know for the British Airways scheme and other ones you have to take out a loan of something like £84 grand which is paid back to you when you have finished the training and are working for the firm, but just to have an interview it costs like £250.

I thought about being a Pilot- I would love to do it still but it's so expensive and competitive.

Oh, and apparently pilots aren't really in demand in the UK (I think they are in the middle east though) so it's difficult to get another job with another airline should you wish. That's why the degree is good- if you lose your job you can apply as an engineer whilst you look for a new one.
You dont need any A-levels, just money - http://www.bafuturepilot.com/
Reply 3
Original post by Runninground
I'm not entirely sure but if you want to have a good chance on these Pilot training schemes (Like CTC & Oxford Aviation ones) then do your maths and further maths and physics A Levels for definite. Then go to Uni and do an Aviation Engineering degree. Also get yourself a PPL, either paid for by yourself or ask your local airfields if they do volunteering schemes where you work at the airfield (unpaid) and they give you free flying lessons.

That would give you a good chance. I know for the British Airways scheme and other ones you have to take out a loan of something like £84 grand which is paid back to you when you have finished the training and are working for the firm, but just to have an interview it costs like £250.

I thought about being a Pilot- I would love to do it still but it's so expensive and competitive.

Oh, and apparently pilots aren't really in demand in the UK (I think they are in the middle east though) so it's difficult to get another job with another airline should you wish. That's why the degree is good- if you lose your job you can apply as an engineer whilst you look for a new one.

I was looking at the British Airways scheme. :smile:

I thought of doing a degree in maths first. Is that wise?

Airlines usually ask for Maths and Physics A Levels, as this is what your JAA exams will be mostly based on. Choose your other A Levels in subjects you enjoy, and will enable you to do a University Degree. The question of whether to do a degree or not before applying is a difficult one, do what you feel comfortable with there. The person I know currently going through the British Airways Future Pilot Programme has a place at Surrey to do Aeronautical Engineering starting in September as a back-up to the FPP. He also tells me that you MUST have A levels to do the FPP. Bear in mind that the FPP has just finished on its second run, and there is no guarantee it will run again, but FlyBE do sponsored and mentored courses, or you could stump up the cost yourself. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you concentrate hard on your studies and get good exam grades, and get good at competency based interviews! Good luck :smile:
Original post by kingaaran
I was looking at the British Airways scheme. :smile:

I thought of doing a degree in maths first. Is that wise?

It's very competitive so you have to stand out.

I don't think it matters which degree you do, so long as you do it well. Obviously having a MEng or BEng would probably be a bit better, but if you enjoy maths more then go for maths.

I do think you should look at getting private pilot licence lessons though as if I remember correctly they ask how many flying hours you've had- if you say 0 then there is a chance that you'll hate flying and you won't do well on the course. If it's something like 50 hours then they know you obviously don't hate it and you already have a head start.
Reply 6
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
Airlines usually ask for Maths and Physics A Levels, as this is what your JAA exams will be mostly based on. Choose your other A Levels in subjects you enjoy, and will enable you to do a University Degree. The question of whether to do a degree or not before applying is a difficult one, do what you feel comfortable with there. The person I know currently going through the British Airways Future Pilot Programme has a place at Surrey to do Aeronautical Engineering starting in September as a back-up to the FPP. He also tells me that you MUST have A levels to do the FPP. Bear in mind that the FPP has just finished on its second run, and there is no guarantee it will run again, but FlyBE do sponsored and mentored courses, or you could stump up the cost yourself. Whatever you choose to do, make sure you concentrate hard on your studies and get good exam grades, and get good at competency based interviews! Good luck :smile:

Thanks! I might try and fork out the lessons myself, and then apply to become a pilot for British Airways. My dream airline is BA because of there amazing aircraft and I don't like the design if FlyBe's aircraft. :frown:

Hopefully British Airways will have other sponsorship schemes in the future.

Reply 7
A-level piloting
Reply 8
Hi Guys,

I want to be a commercial pilot when I am older and I would like to know if any of my 'preferred' choices would be considered as 'soft options.'

I am in year 10, but start A2 maths in June! I know all of the GCSE syllabus, and know all the modules off of the AS level syllabus.

I am thinking of choosing:

Maths (Currently in progress through self-teaching) - Predicted an A for AS
Further Maths (Start in year 12)
Physics (Start in year 12)
Biology (Start in year 12)
English language or lit or media studies. (I want to do media studies, but I know it is considered soft.) (Start in year 12)

My questions:

Would airliners think these choices are suitable?
Is media studies considered a soft option? Which out of media studies, English language and English literature would help me most?

maths and physics
then chemistry would be good if you like it, further maths
a language would be favourable completely :smile:

maths and physics would be a must for a-levels I'd say
Reply 9
Original post by UKBrah
A-level piloting

Haha! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by MedMed12
maths and physics
then chemistry would be good if you like it, further maths
a language would be favourable completely :smile:

maths and physics would be a must for a-levels I'd say

I was considering that, but I really want to do biology because I love the subject! :smile:

I wouldn't be able to handle French; I don't find it interesting enough! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I was considering that, but I really want to do biology because I love the subject! :smile:

I wouldn't be able to handle French; I don't find it interesting enough! :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ahh do biology then :smile: I love it at the moment

a language isn't compulsory so dotn worry about not having french

I cant stress anything more than this :

Do subjects you enjoy!and generally are good at! (but the former is important at A-level)

Maybe even geography if you like it?

Thanks! I might try and fork out the lessons myself, and then apply to become a pilot for British Airways. My dream airline is BA because of there amazing aircraft and I don't like the design if FlyBe's aircraft. :frown:

Hopefully British Airways will have other sponsorship schemes in the future.

You shouldn't judge whether to apply or not just because of the design of the aircraft! If you have more chance of getting on the FlyBe on then do it- you can always train on the other aircraft once you have money from working at FlyBe. :biggrin:
Reply 13
Indeed, you should select an Airline based on the people you'll be working with :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest