The Student Room Group

KCL or City?

Hellooo!

I am trying to decide whether to apply to KCL or City and I could really use some advice.
If I were to choose KCL I'd apply for International Politics and if I choose City it will be International Politics and Sociology. I've heard that KCL has a better reputation but City is ranked higher on The Guardian's university guide.

Cookies & cupcakes for anyone who can help me out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at the individual modules that each university offers. Which appeal to you more?
Original post by C-K
Hellooo!

I am trying to decide whether to apply to KCL or City and I could really use some advice.
If I were to choose KCL I'd apply for International Politics and if I choose City it will be International Politics and Sociology. I've heard that KCL has a better reputation but City is ranked higher on The Guardian's university guide.

Cookies & cupcakes for anyone who can help me out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would probably go for KCL

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 3
C-K
OP
Original post by Origami Bullets
Look at the individual modules that each university offers. Which appeal to you more?

I guess City appeals to me more because I can do both International Politics and Sociology. I am just worried about City's reputation.
Reply 4
C-K
OP
Original post by ukstudent1989
I would probably go for KCL

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Would you mind telling me why?
Reply 5
Original post by C-K
Would you mind telling me why?

KCL all the way. KCL is better overall and also regarding International Politics/War Studies. Way better than City.

City's strengh is CASS Business School, at MSc level. But that has nothing to do with what you ask for. So I would go for KCL.

KCL's international overall ranking:

26th in the World:
http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012?page=1

7th in the UK for graduate salaries
http://blog.studylondon.ac.uk/2012/09/london-best-for-uk-graduate-salaries/

War Studies median salary is £23,000. It's logical to assume that Internationa Politics will also be somewhere in that range.

At City it is £22,000, not a big difference but still shows that KCL has that edge.

KCL best in the UK for graduate employment
Source: 2013 Sunday Times University Guide published in September 2012
Go for the course and location which you like the look of the most. The difference in reputation is not that great, but KCL is more established on the world stage and would look more impressive on your CV; but a 2.2 from KCL would lose out to a 2.1 from City, easily.
Reply 7
C-K
OP
Thanks everyone for the advice!
Does anyone know anything about how hard City is to get into?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending