The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by indimanc
Got pooled by Chem Eng via Nat Sci yesterday. Been staring at my inbox since...oh well, at least I have a brilliant excuse for failing my mocks now :P. Good luck to everyone else who's still waiting, and congratulations to those who've been fished!

Which college did you get pooled from? :smile:
No way am I reapplying next year, not going through this again...
Reply 2022
Original post by sjk1995
Do we have access to any statistics on how many Law applicants were pooled? Although that's only what's been reported on here, it doesn't look like many colleges are calling Lawyers just yet. Good news! Good luck by the way :smile: and everyone else- TRY AND KEEP SANE.

Ive looked at the application statistic from last year and there were 45 offers, a lot at Homerton and Murray Edwards! Can't access the numbers pooled though :frown: That's what I am hoping too!
Good luck to everyone :smile:
Reply 2023
Original post by Kidioteque
As far as I know there's no way to tell how many people have been pooled for a specific subject, but over the past few years they've given roughly 45 offers to poolees for law. Fingers crossed. Have you got offers from elsewhere? What's your second choice? Trying my best to get excited about my other applications so that I'm less gutted when I don't get a call from Cambridge :lol:

:ditto:

Only Reading so far, but if i'm honest I don't think I'd got there even if I got 4 rejections this year. LSE or UCL, I'd love to be in London. Yourself? Haha, I don't have that to fall back on at the moment, so i'm fighting the urge to think this is the be all and end all! Which college did you originally apply for?
Reply 2024
Original post by \/ibhav
Hi, I've been pooled by Trinity for Maths, so similar situation as you guys. I know that there have been a fair few offers/interviews given out for Maths so far (on TSR), however they have all been from Girton, Hommerton, Robinson or Newnam. Other colleges also take Maths 'Poolees', so I wouldn't give up hope at all yet, we may just have been taken by a different college that hasn't started to deal with Maths yet, or hasn't started to deal with anything yet. Remember, it's a sunday, so it's quite possible that they'll start telling us tomorrow.

Also, I haven't had a look at them all, but to Atropos, 32 Trinity Maths 'Poolees', were given offers last year. I don't know how many were pooled, but that's still high taking into account that 99 Maths Poolees overall were given offers. So being pooled by big colleges like Trinity and St.Johns will hopefully increase our chances.

Moreover, as Maths doesn't have an auto-pool system, we were pooled because our colleges were likely oversubscribed, but they think that we are up to the standard for Cambridge.

Finally, as Cambridge require STEP for Maths, colleges looking for 'Poolees' are more likely to give us offers, as a lot us sadly won't make the STEP requirement, hence they can afford to give out more offers than places available.

That should make you feel calmer. Although I admit the wait is very annoying and hard to bear. I'm struggling to to do any work for my exams, out of nervousness about this. I don't really want to go anywhere other than Cambridge! But Good Luck to you all!

Even thou I knew anything you've said (what can i say I'm stressing so i read about everything ;d) still thank you as it does actually help (you are quiet good at calming people down), good luck to all the fishes
Original post by jqian
Haha, thanks fellow Robinson poolee. I don't know if I should think negatively so if I get eventually rejected, I wouldn't feel so bad or have hope. To be honest, I'd rather Cambridge to tell me now if I'd been fished or not, then I can move on quickly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oooh what did you get pooled for?

*EDIT* - I think it was Compsci from what he has said before...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by \/ibhav
Hi, I've been pooled by Trinity for Maths, so similar situation as you guys. I know that there have been a fair few offers/interviews given out for Maths so far (on TSR), however they have all been from Girton, Hommerton, Robinson or Newnam. Other colleges also take Maths 'Poolees', so I wouldn't give up hope at all yet, we may just have been taken by a different college that hasn't started to deal with Maths yet, or hasn't started to deal with anything yet. Remember, it's a sunday, so it's quite possible that they'll start telling us tomorrow.

Also, I haven't had a look at them all, but to Atropos, 32 Trinity Maths 'Poolees', were given offers last year. I don't know how many were pooled, but that's still high taking into account that 99 Maths Poolees overall were given offers. So being pooled by big colleges like Trinity and St.Johns will hopefully increase our chances.

Moreover, as Maths doesn't have an auto-pool system, we were pooled because our colleges were likely oversubscribed, but they think that we are up to the standard for Cambridge.

Finally, as Cambridge require STEP for Maths, colleges looking for 'Poolees' are more likely to give us offers, as a lot us sadly won't make the STEP requirement, hence they can afford to give out more offers than places available.

That should make you feel calmer. Although I admit the wait is very annoying and hard to bear. I'm struggling to to do any work for my exams, out of nervousness about this. I don't really want to go anywhere other than Cambridge! But Good Luck to you all!

This does actually put my mind at rest more, so thank you! Much appreciated, us mathmos gotta hold tight
Reply 2027
Original post by DuckMuffin
Oooh what did you get pooled for?

*EDIT* - I think it was Compsci from what he has said before...

Yup, good luck engineer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would like to give my fellow lawyers a massive good luck and we must remember no news is good news.

(still pulling my hair out though, they need to get in touch or i will start crying haha)
Reply 2029
Original post by These Streets
Where are chemical engineering fish going if they don't get fished?

I've got an offer from Imperial, I plan to take.
Have any Chem Eng's heard?
Original post by sjk1995
Only Reading so far, but if i'm honest I don't think I'd got there even if I got 4 rejections this year. LSE or UCL, I'd love to be in London. Yourself? Haha, I don't have that to fall back on at the moment, so i'm fighting the urge to think this is the be all and end all! Which college did you originally apply for?

Yeah, if you can get to the pooling stage of the Cambridge process then you can probably do better than Reading (no offence to any Reading students!). You should definitely pick LSE :colone: :colone: :colone: I originally applied for Magdalene, what about you?
Original post by chickenonsteroids
I applied to UCL because the course is nice. It's less logic based than Cambridge but then again, so is Oxford's. And if you're a fan of league tables, UCL tops them in philosophy. (but their open day was focused so much on why they're better than Oxbridge it annoyed me :lol:)

I've been entertaining the idea of changing Durham colleges on my UCAS form. I think I picked St Cuthbert's Society but I haven't heard that much about it on TSR ... or put a terrible amount of research into it either. So right now, I kind of want an offer soon, or later so I can think about it more :rolleyes: what college did you apply to?

Casssstle ~("~)

Living in a Castle and being approved at their 23:1 application : place ratio would actually be some mild consolation for the awful ways Cam have dealt with my application

But If I get pooled from Castle (somewhat likely)I won't mind being at another college of theirs.

In some ways Durham is better than Cam for me. I get a 4th year placement at an awesome company (I'm looking at you Proctor and Gamble!) which could be a ticket straight into a job after I leave.

(Plus getting into a university challenge team would be miles easier at Durham :cool:)

Which league table does UCL top? This one I just stumbled upon has Durham higher. League tables are rather volatile and odd anyways :s-smilie:
Yeah, if you can get to the pooling stage of the Cambridge process then you can probably do better than Reading (no offence to any Reading students!). You should definitely pick LSE :colone: :colone: :colone: I originally applied for Magdalene, what about you?

Why LSE? LighterthanAyer picked UCL because he hates LSE, and so did I :tongue:
Original post by anamzaman
OMG!!! CONGRATZ!! Could you tell me more about your application ? Like which college you got fished from and stuff? would really appreciate it since I am dying here. So far only 2 Land Economists have been fished. AHHHHH

Ooohh. Who else was fished?

And i applied to clare ( stupidly ) and then newnham just called yesterday and gave an offer staright out :biggrin: g;luck
Original post by theminimg
also got fished by Newnham! What did you apply for?

Land Economy- you?? :
Anyone have any idea whether having (probably) a good interview score makes it more or less likely that you'll be re-interviewed (rather than a straight rejection or offer) than someone who's been auto pooled?
Reply 2036

Exactly, and I'd rather wait a year and go to a university that stretches me, rather than just go to any old university for the sake of it. I applied for Queens' :smile: I don't think i'd have found this process as difficult as I do if I hadn't visited Cambridge and fell for it's charm haha!
Original post by The Polymath
Why LSE? LighterthanAyer picked UCL because he hates LSE, and so did I :tongue:

Because I will be firming it... duhhhh :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2038
Original post by These Streets
Where are chemical engineering fish going if they don't get fished?

I've got an Imperial interview in February. (I had to change the date due to Cambridge interview clash)
Otherwise Bath or Birmingham. Not sure which.
Because I will be firming it... duhhhh :wink:

I'm worried for you. I've heard a lot of bad things about LSE, speak to Lord of the Flies or Silverlands if you don't believe me.

heck, the director of LSE even called ugrad students "loss-making" and said that he therefore does not have responsibility to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending