The Student Room Group

HELP: A2 History coursework (edexcel)

So I assume if you're reading this then you know what the coursework is and I don't need to explain!

I'm stuck on my Part B at the moment... my question is 'How far was the Old Age Pensions Act of 1908 the most significant change of provision for the poor, 1815-1939?

My teacher keeps giving me mixed feedback and now I'm just confused.

It's not the writing I'm stuck on; it's the planning I find difficult. I know I'm supposed to judge its significance by the criteria of how widespread it was, how long-term and how much better it was overall... so do I do factors, paragraph by paragraph? Do I need to compare it to other acts?

I do have a learning disability and even though I have all the info I simply have no idea how to set out my essay. I have a first draft but it's terrible and it rambles about the Pensions Act aided in replacing workhouses etc...

I would adore someone to help get a plan together but I don't think anyone will be willing to! But seriously, any help at all will be appreciated. Please?!
Reply 1
okay so I've changed my question... how far was it a key turning point?
Original post by Nuttyclorox
So I assume if you're reading this then you know what the coursework is and I don't need to explain!

I'm stuck on my Part B at the moment... my question is 'How far was the Old Age Pensions Act of 1908 the most significant change of provision for the poor, 1815-1939?

My teacher keeps giving me mixed feedback and now I'm just confused.

It's not the writing I'm stuck on; it's the planning I find difficult. I know I'm supposed to judge its significance by the criteria of how widespread it was, how long-term and how much better it was overall... so do I do factors, paragraph by paragraph? Do I need to compare it to other acts?

I do have a learning disability and even though I have all the info I simply have no idea how to set out my essay. I have a first draft but it's terrible and it rambles about the Pensions Act aided in replacing workhouses etc...

I would adore someone to help get a plan together but I don't think anyone will be willing to! But seriously, any help at all will be appreciated. Please?!

Hey whilst I'm not doing the same topic as you, I'm doing the same coursework as you and about how far my main factor was a turning point. The mainpart of your coursework should be the key turning point, whilst the other factors are important, it should be the main part of the coursework. For the structure, I'd say write about each factor in separate paragraphs, starting with the key turning point.
You need to talk about the legacy of it, the long-term/ short-term effects of each factor, how much it changed/stayed the same. For the other factors, you need to say why it wasn't the key turning point. Definitely don't ramble, what's the limit? Mine was 2000 words so it's definitely not a lot of words. Hope this helps, Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you, this helped alot :biggrin:!

I imagine the same as you... 4000 words for two essays, so roughly more or less 2000.

I think I know where I'm going now :smile: <3

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending