The Student Room Group

Can I self teach S1 in 4 months?

Hi,

I'm thinking of dropping M2 and picking up S1, is this a good idea? I've tried, but I really can't get into M2 and I have a crappy teacher. I however do still find S1 very boring, I don't have much experience with it other than doing a module of stats at GCSE (hated it).

But all I really want is a good grade, 70+ at least. Is S1 easy in comparison to M2? Can someone please give me any tips? Advice?

Is it even possible to self teach S1 in 4 months?
Reply 1
S1 is very easy as long as you will yourself not to get too bored. It's more than possible in 4 months.
Reply 2
Original post by Ronove
S1 is very easy as long as you will yourself not to get too bored. It's more than possible in 4 months.

Is it going to be possible without a teacher? And thanks, you've given me some hope!
polaritymolecule, is that you? :colone:
Reply 4
Original post by nukethemaly
Hi,

I'm thinking of dropping M2 and picking up S1, is this a good idea? I've tried, but I really can't get into M2 and I have a crappy teacher. I however do still find S1 very boring, I don't have much experience with it other than doing a module of stats at GCSE (hated it).

But all I really want is a good grade, 70+ at least. Is S1 easy in comparison to M2? Can someone please give me any tips? Advice?

Is it even possible to self teach S1 in 4 months?

I managed S1 in 2 weeks last year having dosses the lessons haha and managed it so you can too :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by boner in jeans
polaritymolecule, is that you? :colone:

Oh god I remember that person, but didn't they want to self teach C1/C2 and M1?
Very easily doable.
Well, many people on this site have claimed to have learnt C2/S1 and some other modules in the span of a week, although studying it practically all day. I'm sure it's possible within 4 months.
Reply 8
Original post by MedMed12
I managed S1 in 2 weeks last year having dosses the lessons haha and managed it so you can too :wink:

Thanks! What did you get in it, if you don't mind me asking? Did you get bored half way through?
Reply 9
Original post by The Assassin
Well, many people on this site have claimed to have learnt C2/S1 and some other modules in the span of a week, although studying it practically all day. I'm sure it's possible within 4 months.

HI! Thanks!

How's the biology revision going?

The only thing I'm scared about is having no experience in the subject whatsoever.
HI! Thanks!

How's the biology revision going?

The only thing I'm scared about is having no experience in the subject whatsoever.

Oh yeah I just noticed that you were posting there. It's pretty good actually - I'm generally feeling confident. Yourself?

It's fine if you have no experience; it shouldn't hinder your ability to learn it. I suggest picking up the CGP maths revision guide and starting there, and going on Examsolutions for help/in-detail explanations on each subject. Seeing as you've got 4 months don't stress about it, but try and learn 1-2 topics fully each week if you don't want to be studying it all day everyday. If there's anything that you still don't understand there's always this site to ask!
Reply 11
Is it going to be possible without a teacher? And thanks, you've given me some hope!

I've taught/am teaching it to myself and before this I hadn't done any maths since my GCSEs (2004!) so yeah it's perfectly possible. I covered it (not intensively) over two to three weeks (if I remember correctly) early last year and then left it. I started going through it again last night and have managed to revise the first three chapters (though chapter one consists of nothing) in the space of an hour or so. I didn't find it as easy in the first sweep through, but I've found this to be the case with all the units. My (strong) recommendation is to go through the material relatively thoroughly once, then go through it all again after a break. You'll find yourself much more comfortable with everything when it's had time to settle. Then you can move onto past papers etc and see where you need to hone your skills.
Reply 12
Oh yeah I just noticed that you were posting there. It's pretty good actually - I'm generally feeling confident. Yourself?

It's fine if you have no experience; it shouldn't hinder your ability to learn it. I suggest picking up the CGP maths revision guide and starting there, and going on Examsolutions for help/in-detail explanations on each subject. Seeing as you've got 4 months don't stress about it, but try and learn 1-2 topics fully each week if you don't want to be studying it all day everyday. If there's anything that you still don't understand there's always this site to ask!

Yeah! Thanks for everything.

I'm feeling okaaaay, I'm currently going over the examiner reports and then planning on learning ALL THE MARK SCHEMES THAT HAVE EVER EXISTED. Exciting evening ahead!
Reply 13
Original post by Ronove
I've taught/am teaching it to myself and before this I hadn't done any maths since my GCSEs (2004!) so yeah it's perfectly possible. I covered it (not intensively) over two to three weeks (if I remember correctly) early last year and then left it. I started going through it again last night and have managed to revise the first three chapters (though chapter one consists of nothing) in the space of an hour or so. I didn't find it as easy in the first sweep through, but I've found this to be the case with all the units. My (strong) recommendation is to go through the material relatively thoroughly once, then go through it all again after a break. You'll find yourself much more comfortable with everything when it's had time to settle. Then you can move onto past papers etc and see where you need to hone your skills.

I will follow through that. Thank you so much!
Yeah! Thanks for everything.

I'm feeling okaaaay, I'm currently going over the examiner reports and then planning on learning ALL THE MARK SCHEMES THAT HAVE EVER EXISTED. Exciting evening ahead!

If you want, download the document I made. It's a compilation of various mark schemes from 2001-2012 regarding the spec. Bear in mind it obviously won't cover EVERYTHING. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2189426&page=3&p=40703773#post40703773
Reply 15
If you want, download the document I made. It's a compilation of various mark schemes from 2001-2012 regarding the spec. Bear in mind it obviously won't cover EVERYTHING. :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2189426&page=3&p=40703773#post40703773

I already have that :wink:

Thanks so much for that!
hey guys :colone:

Quick Reply

Latest