The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

how high must your predicted grades be to get auto-pooled if you're in IB? I havent heard anything from Clare yet though
Original post by puchowsijk
That is perhaps the most detailed, sophisticated AND pleasant maps of the fair city of Cambridge I have ever seen. Kudos to you, good sir.

Sarcasm aside, I am a linguistic fish who needs to be caught. Where is the flaming bait?

Wieso hat niemand JP aus dem Pool herausgefischt?!?!?!

It's odd how they already have "heraus-gefischt" but still feel the need to put "aus dem Pool".

It's like saying "I fished him out out of the pool", or "I slipped through the tunnel through"
Original post by cam582
Where exactly IS Girton?

I almost didn't spot it on the map because it was so far from the centre. It's like a galaxy away, seriously.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by unkownname
how high must your predicted grades be to get auto-pooled if you're in IB? I havent heard anything from Clare yet though

You can't do it on the basis of predicted grades. You need to have achieved the qualification already.

I was pooled with 41, 776 if that means anything.
Original post by The Polymath
Wieso hat niemand JP aus dem Pool herausgefischt?!?!?!

We've yet to see. I daren't consider re-application just yet.
Reply 2125
It is an exaggeration btw :tongue: You don't take an aeroplane to get to homerton, it's only a couple of miles south

Yeh lol, tbh even living at a central college makes sainsburys seem like a trek... #gotsolazy

but then I class anything that isn't kings/trinity/corpus/catz/Clare/tit hall/Sidney/Caius/johns not central so...
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by puchowsijk
We've yet to see. I daren't consider re-application just yet.

You would reapply??
Reply 2127
Original post by Silverland
True. But time goes on there's only so long I can wait before I donate all my Cam prospectuses to school (and I had quite a lovely collection of the different college prospectuses too!)

Best of luck to you too.

Meh you can go to the best college in Durham instead of the most-dissed college in Cambridge :wink: (I'm giving you this one, but if I get in I'll forever defend Girton)
I always imagine this conversation: 'I did my undergrad at Cambridge' 'Oh wow! Which college?' 'Girton :biggrin:' 'Oh... Well that doesn't really count does it'
which is based on my head of sixth form telling us her daughter was at Oxford - 'yes, Oxford Brookes!'

I just realised too, it really doesn't help that 'Girton' is such an ugly name.
Reply 2128
I'm a poolee and I haven't heard anything as well. But I think I should do better with my limited time. Everything has been decided and now here comes a bit of luck. Remember we still have exams and a whole future ahead. We've made it this far. So what the hell :biggrin:

Today is always better than yesterday and tomorrow is always better than today!
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by _Georgie
Meh you can go to the best college in Durham instead of the most-dissed college in Cambridge :wink: (I'm giving you this one, but if I get in I'll forever defend Girton)
I always imagine this conversation: 'I did my undergrad at Cambridge' 'Oh wow! Which college?' 'Girton :biggrin:' 'Oh... Well that doesn't really count does it'
which is based on my head of sixth form telling us her daughter was at Oxford - 'yes, Oxford Brookes!'

I just realised too, it really doesn't help that 'Girton' is such an ugly name.

Don't get me wrong; I'd love to go to Girton! It's beautiful, indoor swimming pool, lovely staircase community and it's own village!
Plus an Aldi is just next door. XD

(it's just that I'm jelly of my friend which is why I mock. I am really super jealous and want them to ring me!)
Original post by Kidioteque
Thanks for the info. Really very happy for you, just also very jealous!

They fished four people for Law last year, so there's still a bit of hope I suppose :redface:

At that college or in total!? :frown:
Original post by Axion
I havent seen a single economics poolee get anything.

Yeah, me neither. Although, every year about 15% of economics offers are made through the pool, so our chances aren't disastrous.
Reply 2132
Original post by unkownname

No autopooling, I was pooled with 43 (777775, 3 TOK EE) if it helps
Original post by BethanyJane
At that college or in total!? :frown:

Fitzwilliam. 45 overall :smile:
You would reapply??

Really depends. From being pooled, and having experienced the interviews, I could plausibly try again - a year of work experience or working at the school is not unheard of. Though whether I would apply to Homerton again will depend on the outcome of this torture.

Though naturally, I've already had offers from different universities, and it'd definitely be a shame to say no after all of this charade. I don't even have an offer from my second choice yet (they say that they take their time - I'm expecting this)!
Reply 2135
Original post by economist17
yeah, me neither. Although, every year about 15% of economics offers are made through the pool, so our chances aren't disastrous.

iwananofa
Reply 2136
Ahhh succumbed to the temptation of this thread :tongue:
Have any more people been fished for natsci? (I saw one person for biological earlier)
Have any English swimmers been fished yet? I got pooled from Clare and the tension is rising steadily.
Reply 2138
Original post by \/ibhav
Hi, I've been pooled by Trinity for Maths, so similar situation as you guys. I know that there have been a fair few offers/interviews given out for Maths so far (on TSR), however they have all been from Girton, Hommerton, Robinson or Newnam. Other colleges also take Maths 'Poolees', so I wouldn't give up hope at all yet, we may just have been taken by a different college that hasn't started to deal with Maths yet, or hasn't started to deal with anything yet. Remember, it's a sunday, so it's quite possible that they'll start telling us tomorrow.

Also, I haven't had a look at them all, but to Atropos, 32 Trinity Maths 'Poolees', were given offers last year. I don't know how many were pooled, but that's still high taking into account that 99 Maths Poolees overall were given offers. So being pooled by big colleges like Trinity and St.Johns will hopefully increase our chances.

Moreover, as Maths doesn't have an auto-pool system, we were pooled because our colleges were likely oversubscribed, but they think that we are up to the standard for Cambridge.

Finally, as Cambridge require STEP for Maths, colleges looking for 'Poolees' are more likely to give us offers, as a lot us sadly won't make the STEP requirement, hence they can afford to give out more offers than places available.

That should make you feel calmer. Although I admit the wait is very annoying and hard to bear. I'm struggling to to do any work for my exams, out of nervousness about this. I don't really want to go anywhere other than Cambridge! But Good Luck to you all!

This calmed me down quite a lot! Thanks!

Also, most of the colleges you have mentioned that have made maths offers i.e Girton, homerton, Robinson, they give out lots of math offers each year, we've only heard of like a couple, so I'm sure there is more to come guys!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Megzx13
Im just so surprised Ive been pooled; the number of applicants at my college for my subject was well below that of previous years, only just above the number of offers they usually give out in fact! I would have thought i would have been accepted or rejected... Doesnt give me much hope :/ Interviews were awful (especially the DoS one which is more important, the tutor one was mediocre) and my ums is pretty low comparatively (87%). Honestly dont understand how I have even been pooled. So odd. Now keeping fingers crossed for a miracle :crossedf:

Hey I'm in the same boat too, my UMS is pretty much 88% and I was expecting a straight rejection as my interviews were terrible also......our school was hammered though, out of 6 applicants, only 2 of us got pooled, no offers and the rest straight rejections.....funny world eh?

Good luck anyway! What college and subject did you apply for?

Latest

Trending

Trending