The Student Room Group

Subspace Addition Proof

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Noble.
Ah right, so is L+M = R^2?

Am I right in saying L+N is also R^2? So the RHS is R^2 with L on the LHS giving a counter-example?
Correct.

I don't know the definition you've been given, but there may have been slightly easier ways to get L+N=R2. I'm going to take the definition L+N=span(LUN).

Intuitive: You have two non-parallel lines through the origin. You can clearly reach quite a few points by traveling along L followed by a line parallel to N. Thinking for a bit longer you can see that you can actually reach any point this way.

Formal: Unfortunately I've forgotten all the results. Maybe something like if X is a set of linearly independent vectors then X is a basis for span(X), and by definition the dimension is the cardinality of the basis. Then something about the dimension of a proper subspace of a finite dimensional vector space. There could well be something more direct.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Ah right, so is L+M = R^2?

Am I right in saying L+N is also R^2? So the RHS is R^2 with L on the LHS giving a counter-example?

Yep - as harr said.
Reply 22
Original post by harr
Correct.

I don't know the definition you've been given, but there may have been slightly easier ways to get L+N=R2. I'm going to take the definition L+N=span(LUN).

Intuitive: You have two non-parallel lines through the origin. You can clearly reach quite a few points by traveling along L followed by a line parallel to N. Thinking for a bit longer you can see that you can actually reach any point this way.

Formal: Unfortunately I've forgotten all the results. Maybe something like if X is a set of linearly independent vectors then X is a basis for span(X), and by definition the dimension is the cardinality of the basis. Then something about the dimension of a proper subspace of a finite dimensional vector space. There could well be something more direct.

Thanks, the definition we use for L+N is

L+N={x+y  xL,yN}L + N = \left\{ x + y \ | \ x \in L, y \in N \right\}

It's quite obvious now you can reach any point in R2\mathbb{R}^2 and I'm annoyed I didn't see it earlier - also thinking of L+N to be the span makes it easier to see you can get any point in R2\mathbb{R}^2

Original post by ghostwalker
Yep - as harr said.

Thanks a lot, I got there in the end :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest