The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarr
Hi fellow English fishies! Can't even concentrate on reading right now :tongue:. I was pooled from Selwyn..

I'm trying to do Politics revision! Doomed from the start.

I'm really worried that I didn't 'get' my interview, I didn't feel like the tutors were particularly pushing me or asking strange questions, to the point that they appeared disinterested in my verbal floundering. Am I alone?
Original post by honggau
email or call?

I'm losing all my hope now...
And congrats!

It was by email and a direct offer! Seriously don't loose hope. There i was laying on the sofa in a ice cream induced coma refreshing my inbox and it just popped up.
Reply 2182
Original post by grammar12
It was by email and a direct offer! Seriously don't loose hope. There i was laying on the sofa in a ice cream induced coma refreshing my inbox and it just popped up.

I just wrote all your wall but anyway, what's your average UMS?
I don't know... This is not happening to me maybe...
Reply 2183
Original post by grammar12

"don't lose hope"

ops... too late
Original post by honggau
I just wrote all your wall but anyway, what's your average UMS?
I don't know... This is not happening to me maybe...

Average UMS was 93.8% (probably rounded to 94%) so probably auto pooled. Do you want me to copy paste the letter?
Original post by mr.november
Thought I'd dive in here as a English fish thrown away to drown by Sidney Sussex as an auto pool. I can't even manage to read childhood classics, I just want a chance of some kind of closure.

I'm an autopoolee too. I don't think I'll be able to function properly until I've had closure! I hope I get some good, specific feedback as well.
Original post by emoss
Hello:smile: I am also a linguistic fish. Which college did to apply to?

Homerton. You?
Reply 2187
Anyone else here taking the fap challenge? Not only am I anxious for a phone call, but I'm frustrated too...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by Sharpeyj
Whoop!! Well done :smile: Very best of luck with the interview!! And ahhh... To be honest I have no idea of my chances. I'm guessing they are low as I have low ums but then I don't know how good my interview was really..

Thanks! :smile: Don't try and speculate what might or might not happen... easier said than done, I know :tongue: I think I must have been autopooled (my UMS was literally ?just? above 93) and my interviews were pretty rubbish (hence the reinterview!) so I never expected anything from the pool but a rejection! I didn't even realise who was on the other end of the phone when I picked it up and they asked to speak to me! :redface:
To pass the time, I find listening to my collection of vintage Eurovision classics is a good way to relieve the stress of waiting.

I just don't know if I can continue doing this for another 24 hours.
The pool:

Scary stuff.. :eek:
Original post by honggau
email or call?

I'm losing all my hope now...
And congrats!

This is how the letter read:

[.... personal detail removed by moderator....]

I am delighted to be able to say that following the Winter Pool process here in
Cambridge (which you should have received a letter about, dated around 3rd
January from your preference College, but let me know if you have not),
Magdalene College has successfully managed to obtain permission make you an offer of a place here in Cambridge and in our College (exact details, terms and conditions will follow in a formal offer letter).

Whilst I am sure you must have mixed feelings about not being taken by your
preference College, let me reassure you that most Colleges (including our own) have roughly 5 times as many applicants as they have places available, with many of them being the top or one of the top applicants from their school, and most are very well qualified for the places they are applying for.

From what we can see and what your preference College has shown us, that you weren't taken by them would seem purely down to them being over subscribed for the course you applied for, whereas we did not have quite so many applicants for your chosen course.

Can I also reassure that most Cambridge Colleges are relatively similar in
nature, and I hope you will be happy to receive an offer of a place from
Magdalene.

It may take us around a week, maybe even ten days to get an offer letter in the post to you: I hope you will not mind this, there are many applicants who were not so successful, with who we should make contact, and some applicants where the decision was not so clear cut as it was with you and so we are bringing them back to Cambridge for a reinterview - I am sure you can understand, and hope the good news that this email brings will serve as a stop-gap.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2192
Original post by ingénue
If the waiting is getting genuinely destructive for revision, can I at least ring my college to find out whether I have been fished or not? When is the earliest I can do this? It would give me a decision at least, and then I could ask for feedback.
Apologies for late response to this - was trying to post and my mobile internet was not co-operating.

The bottom line here is that it would be pointless to contact your college until after 15 January - and there is a good chance you will have had news, one way or the other, by then.

I know it's hard but the only thing to do is try not to think too much about what's going on, and concentrate on what you need to do to nail those exams.
Reply 2193
Good luck to everyone left - as has been said, not all colleges have finished fishing by the looks of it so hang on.
You may all be jealous of those of us with Girton interviews/offers now but in a couple of days or so I may be jealous of some of you with direct offers from great colleges :smile:
I'm off to revise for my exams and keep calm for my interview; revisiting this thread isn't doing me any favours.
To those of you who get fished: please update the decisions thread so we can keep up with who gets offers!
Original post by Sharpeyj
Whoop!! Well done :smile: Very best of luck with the interview!! And ahhh... To be honest I have no idea of my chances. I'm guessing they are low as I have low ums but then I don't know how good my interview was really..

haha I'm exactly the same :P

Did you apply for Natural Sciences?
Reply 2195
Pooled by St Johns for Maths, would really like an offer from any college. I got a desktop calendar of inspiring quotes for Christmas and I never really remember to change those so I only just got round to changing it from Thursday 3rd. The quote for Friday 4th was "Never confuse a single defeat with a final defeat".

I thought that was surprisingly appropriate. Anyway, it at least inspired me to finally sign up to TSR after following this post for the last two days :goodluck:
Reply 2196
Original post by puchowsijk
Homerton. You?

Trinity. Whereabouts are you from?
Reply 2197
Original post by The Polymath
The pool:

Scary stuff.. :eek:

If you look carefully under one of the desks you can actually see my application in the bin.
Original post by Allahu Akbar
Haha, I was the same, literally shaking so much i was struggling to write down the details. The woman on the phone asked me if I'd just woken up as well, great start! :biggrin:

Physical natsci at pembroke initially. My interviews on Friday though so I guess I won't meet you till October :wink:

I'm so nervous about this interview, its ruining my revision!!! I'm guessing you have to do a written test as well, but what does this test consist of? Is it a maths test? or like the thinking skills test? I should've asked the lady when she said.
Original post by Bord3r
If you look carefully under one of the desks you can actually see my application in the bin.

if you haven't heard yet, don't worry :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending