The Student Room Group

Do you have to do presentations to the whole class in Uni?

How often do you do them or does it depend on the course? I kinda have a fear of public speaking lol, not that it would keep me from going to Uni. I'm just curious.
Reply 1
What are you planning to study? I have to do them about once a semester.
Reply 2
Original post by Pink Boy
What are you planning to study? I have to do them about once a semester.

I'm not 100% sure yet, Business, Economics or International Relations are what I've been considering lately.
Reply 3
Depends on the course and the uni. I don't have to do any.
Bear in mind "classes" will usually be no more than 15/16. It's not like school when there's potentially 30+!
I've never had to do one
Reply 6
Maths here, only 1 presentation done in undergrad. Plenty done in postgrad. It obviously would depend on the subject/course.

You should hope you do. You certainly won't be the only person there that doesn't like public speaking but it's a skill that would stand you in good stead in the future. You will be glad you did the presentation after it's complete, even if it's a train-wreck. You go to university for your personal development and to gain these sorts of experiences.
Reply 7
I don't.
Original post by nohaynada
I'm not 100% sure yet, Business, Economics or International Relations are what I've been considering lately.

Where are you going with a degree in the first or last of these and a fear of public speaking even where this is among a peer group that is known to you?

Yes, university requires that you give presentations, and certainly in the social sciences. That is in part because it is a preparation for the world of work. You could look on the bright side and think that this might be an opportunity for you to master your phobia in a relatively soft setting. But if you consider that this might be a disabling fear, you might be better off in looking to plan a career in back-office research.
Yup, generally not in front of a whole lecture hall though they're usually given in seminars or tutorials which are smaller groups. Everyone I know has done atleast one, it's a very valuable skill to gain. There should be some help available at whatever university you go to help you address your fear though, you certainly wont be the first/only student with such concerns :smile:
Yep. I have to do 6-8 a year... But my class sizes are reasonably small (25ish people, rather than hundreds in a lecture hall). The length in time that they have to be has varied from 25 minutes to two hours. I study Comparative Literature.

I'm extremely nervous when it comes to doing them, but find that spending an excessive amount of time preparing them so that I feel totally confident in my material helps. I still stand like a quivering wreck for my first few slides, at least, though! As I'm coming to the end of my final year now, I have noticed a huge improvement in my ability... and am glad to have been forced to face it, because I'm sure I will have to give presentations at some point in my career!

Edit: I also have found that tutors seem to be quite lenient when marking presentations (mine are worth up to a maximum 20% of the module, regardless of length). They seem to take into consideration the fact that a presentation is much more nerve-wracking than, say, an essay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by beffnee
but find that spending an excessive amount of time preparing them so that I feel totally confident in my material helps.

Ditto. This is absolutely key. If you know your work inside out and know what you're talking about, and if you create good slides and practice (roughly) what you're going to say, then you'll slip into a comfort zone after the first couple of slides/minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending