The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emoss
Trinity. Whereabouts are you from?

Buckinghamshire. Stuck in a room full of dictionaries and Esperanto material right by a busy motorway. You? Being in the pool sucks, eh.
Reply 2201
why do people keep highlighting that they've been auto pooled? Does it have any significance/advantage? My UMS isn't too pretty, so no way am I an auto fish.
Reply 2202
Original post by inangel123
nope nothing :frown: this wait is getting ridiculous! you?

I haven't heard anything yet either :frown: I know, I really want them to just tell me now - it's really distracting! Btw, did you take a gap year?
Original post by sjk1995
why do people keep highlighting that they've been auto pooled? Does it have any significance/advantage? My UMS isn't too pretty, so no way am I an auto fish.

i'm exactly the same, but surely it must be better for us cause even without the amazing grades they thought we were good enough to be pooled! we can hope :s-smilie:
Reply 2204
Original post by puchowsijk
Buckinghamshire. Stuck in a room full of dictionaries and Esperanto material right by a busy motorway. You? Being in the pool sucks, eh.

North Wales. Yeah I hate being in the pool but it slightly preferable to a straight rejection. Can I ask what on earth you are doing surrounded by so much Esparanto material? :smile:
Reply 2205
Reply 2206
I think auto pooling is much better because you stand a higher chance of being fished or at least reinterviewed :biggrin:
My UMS is actually not high so I think this is the end for me. Oh well.
(I know this will sound ridiculous), does anyone happen to know the likelihood of being fished if the college you applied for generally accepts a lot of winter poolees for your subject compared to direct offer..ees?
Reply 2208
Original post by bealey101
i'm exactly the same, but surely it must be better for us cause even without the amazing grades they thought we were good enough to be pooled! we can hope:s-smilie:

True, our reference, ps, interview and test (if you had one) must have done us some credit (she says struggling to type with her fingers securely crossed)
Original post by sjk1995

Yes, it does have some significance. If your interview was bad and your interviewers gave you a score of 4/10, then they would have wanted to reject you, but had to pool you.

Hence, people who think their interview went badly assume that the interviewers were forced, and that they'll have no chance in the pool because of that.

The problem is that most people won't know how well their interview went (unless you just walked straight out of the room, in which case auto-pooling is what happened :tongue:)
Reply 2210
Why cambridge? Why??!!
Reply 2211
Original post by The Polymath
Yes, it does have some significance. If your interview was bad and your interviewers gave you a score of 4/10, then they would have wanted to reject you, but had to pool you.

Hence, people who think their interview went badly assume that the interviewers were forced, and that they'll have no chance in the pool because of that.

The problem is that most people won't know how well their interview went (unless you just walked straight out of the room, in which case auto-pooling is what happened :tongue:)

That's probably quite a good safety net then for people who are clearly intelligent but had an "off" day. Thank you for explaining haha
Original post by emoss
North Wales. Yeah I hate being in the pool but it slightly preferable to a straight rejection. Can I ask what on earth you are doing surrounded by so much Esparanto material? :smile:

It was the thing that kinda convinced me to consider linguistics as a university course - it was a beautiful idea (I'm a romantic when it comes to people with such solutions to auxiliary communication).

Thinking about this reminds me of my College interview - my interviewer was very interested in my study of the language. There's even an Esperanto society at Cambridge!
Reply 2213
Original post by bealey101
i'm exactly the same, but surely it must be better for us cause even without the amazing grades they thought we were good enough to be pooled! we can hope :s-smilie:

Thanks for the comforting words. I don't even have my AS UMS... worse case for me. Anyhow, no hope lost for the moment.
Original post by sjk1995
That's probably quite a good safety net then for people who are clearly intelligent but had an "off" day. Thank you for explaining haha

The angst is about the interviewer score being in the pool.

As I said, if you did poorly at interview, the tutor might give you a 4/10, and put you in the pool.

You'll then be floating the pool with a 4/10 score on your file saying "poor candidate", meaning you got pooled, but don't have a chance.

As I also said, though, unless you know for sure your interview was terrible, you can't make this call.

Obviously you may still be interviewed though - someone reading your file might think your poor interview score was a one off (if both of your interviews were scored similarly, this probably wouldn't happen) and interview you to give you another chance.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2215

Well considering my obsession with Coldplay I should probably post a song as well. This one's probably apt for most of us.

[video="youtube;H0VsvuvKT20"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0VsvuvKT20[/video]
Original post by honggau
I think auto pooling is much better because you stand a higher chance of being fished or at least reinterviewed :biggrin:
My UMS is actually not high so I think this is the end for me. Oh well.

Huh? You don't. Autopooling is the worst, it just means you look good on paper but were poor in the interview. The only people who get fished are those who had good or decent interviews but didn't make the cut due to so much competition at a certain college this year.
Original post by The Polymath
The angst is about the interviewer score being in the pool.

As I said, if you did poorly at interview, the tutor might give you a 4/10, and put you in the pool.

You'll then be floating the pool with a 4/10 score on your file saying "poor candidate", meaning you got pooled, but don't have a chance.

As I also said, though, unless you know for sure your interview was terrible, you can't make this call.

Rather than just not having a chance i thought It would've meant that they'll re interview you, because your grades and interview suggest different things

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got pooled from Clare for History. I have 95ish UMS across my best three subjects. I have made an account to procrastinate as the wait is killing me :frown:
Just want to wish everyone here good luck and I hope that all you fishies get fished soon. To be put in the pool in the first place must mean that they see something that stands out in you! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending