The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Any other Pems out there? got my English offer yesterday.
Original post by Elizabeth1995
Any other Pems out there? got my English offer yesterday.

Yes! Congrats!
Original post by Lord of the Flies
For post A-level offer holders:

Does anyone know when Cambridge expect us to send them our certificates? French schools can be terribly slow with this sort of thing.

I'm not 100% sure, I'm just going to wait a couple of weeks for the admissions office to die down with all the pool and stuff, then drop them an email asking them if I've gleaned all the correct information from the checklist on the website, and check deadlines.

Original post by rath90
Why is it only for Maths they require an extra paper?! :confused: Getting the A* in Further Maths is hard enough! The success rate for 'offer holders/places' in Maths is 2:1 whereas for every other course it's pretty much 1:1 so I've never been confident that I'd meet the offer if I got one :frown:

Aye, but the offer rate for maths is usually a lot higher than other courses.

STEP is used because, in all honesty, Cambridge has a good enough course that Further Maths just isn't enough of an indicator. Heck, I would hazard that over 50% of Physical Natural Sciences students have an A* in Further Maths, so they really need something to do the job for them. They used to have STEP exams for other subjects as well, but research showed that they weren't actually that great as indicators for tripos success, whereas UMS was. For maths, however, STEP was the best, so they kept it.

Original post by Oboe1994
I should think as long as it's before the start of term it's fine, they say ASAP but if you don't have it it's not possible? I have a slight problem as I've actually lost my maths a-level certificate haha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rolleyes: Better find it! Cuh, that ought to be your most prized certificate... :wink: :tongue:
Reply 543
Original post by Oromis263
I'm not 100% sure, I'm just going to wait a couple of weeks for the admissions office to die down with all the pool and stuff, then drop them an email asking them if I've gleaned all the correct information from the checklist on the website, and check deadlines.

Aye, but the offer rate for maths is usually a lot higher than other courses.

STEP is used because, in all honesty, Cambridge has a good enough course that Further Maths just isn't enough of an indicator. Heck, I would hazard that over 50% of Physical Natural Sciences students have an A* in Further Maths, so they really need something to do the job for them. They used to have STEP exams for other subjects as well, but research showed that they weren't actually that great as indicators for tripos success, whereas UMS was. For maths, however, STEP was the best, so they kept it.

:rolleyes: Better find it! Cuh, that ought to be your most prized certificate... :wink: :tongue:

Haha yeahhh :tongue: it was separate to all my other ones... I hope they'll accept my mark sheet :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 544

Thanks! Where is this written?

For me it said it on the second page of my offer letter. It says:'In particular you must provide:
your examination certificates relating to the examinations referred to on your UCAS application (copies are accepatable), which should be received by the admissions office by 1 March 2013.
:hi:

Hello all! Isn't this exciting?
Yes! Congrats!

You too! I can't wait to get down there. I couldn't believe they didn't even pool me- Pembroke is perfect :tongue:
Original post by Kalliope

It is too exciting for words! You do realise don't you that we are going to study English at the best English department in the World?
Does anybody know how long it takes for the offer to appear on UCAS?
Original post by Elizabeth1995
You too! I can't wait to get down there. I couldn't believe they didn't even pool me- Pembroke is perfect :tongue:

Pembroke really is perfect. :biggrin: I can't believe we're going to be studying at the world's most prestigious university, if we meet our conditions. This is truly amazing.
Reply 550
Original post by ameliapond.
Does anybody know how long it takes for the offer to appear on UCAS?

too long! im convinced it may all be a lie at the moment!
Original post by bíborcsiga
Hello :smile:

Well, to be honest it's very much possible that you're the only Linguistics offer-holder at TH. :smile: (From the previous statistics they seem to have given out only one offer each year.)

Anyway, there's Powerfrau for Magdalene and Florence and I (almost wrote 'and me' :teehee:) for Newnham, so let the Linguistics party begin (/continue). :biggrin: And of course, congrats on your offer!

Oh! I didn't realise they only took one person for Linguistics at TH.
Wow... how on earth did that happen? The others there had WAY better grades than me.
But YAY! Another Linguist! Congrats on your offer too! :biggrin:
Original post by Kalliope

Isn't it just. :love: My life is made up right now, I can study for the pure enjoyment again, rather than worrying that what I was doing wouldn't help me get in. Quite funnily, at least three of the pieces of extended maths reading I did saved my arse from obliteration at interview. :ahee:
Original post by Powerfrau
Another Linguist! :smile:

Awesome! There needs to be more of us; we are few and far between. :smile:
What college did you apply to?
Reply 554
Original post by johnttam
too long! im convinced it may all be a lie at the moment!

Exactly this. I won't be able to rest before I see it on UCAS - then they can't take it back!
Pembroke really is perfect. :biggrin: I can't believe we're going to be studying at the world's most prestigious university, if we meet our conditions. This is truly amazing.

Well, that's rather subject to one's personal opinion... :wink: I mean, have you seen King's hall? :ahee:
Reply 556
Well, that's rather subject to one's personal opinion... :wink: I mean, have you seen King's hall? :ahee:

Two words. Underground. Club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha - have you seen Pembroke's hall? And most importantly, the intriguing curtain at the end of it? :sexface:
Reply 558
Caius. Stephen Hawking. Say no more
Original post by Oboe1994
Two words. Underground. Club.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To quote the alternative prospectus... "From dancing, sweat-drenched in its legendary underground club"

:colone: So. Hyped. :biggrin: I wonder what our rooms are going to be like! It's crazy that in 9 months (almost exactly) we will be starting as fellow freshers at King's. :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending