The Student Room Group

80k a year chaffuer for MP...

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/anger-as-simon-burns-minister-in-charge-of-rail-fares-uses-chauffeurdriven-car-for-work-8439968.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/simon-burns-minister-responsible-for-train-fares-uses-80000ayear-chauffeurdriven-government-car-to-avoid-overcrowded-trains-8439959.html

I am actually sick of reading this to be honest. For how many years have MP's under both Labour and Conservative been doing things like this?

Cutbacks need to be made urgently-but not by us politicans they should add. Politicans claim to want what is best for the average person, the country as a whole. Such a lie in too many cases. Not even the quite well off, say those in the top tax bracket, could afford this nonsense.

It seems to me (and if I am wrong then I hope someone corrects me, I would genuinely want to be corrected) that its criticise those without jobs as work-shy, criticise the wealthy and look to increase taxes for the good of the country, but let us live in excess.:mad::mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Jealous are we?:teehee:
Reply 2
Politicians are just as corrupt as anyone, sorry to bring up expenses but:
They committed a crime therefore they should get the punishment, by law.

In the realms of morality( I hope you realise law is flawed in this sense)
They have no reason to steal, yet they do. Despite this, they still have a very high paying job, looked up to in society(By most...) and once again, no punishment.
A 17 year old girl who has run away from her stepdad who beats her is hungry and so needs money. Nowhere will give her a job since she is technically homeless, she sells drugs, gets caught, 4/5 years in prison. Called chav.

:confused:
what de le ****?
Reply 3
I had a bit of a crush on Simon Burns when I was younger.
Reply 4
Amusing but appalling.

I'm definitely having a chauffer when i'm rich.
Reply 5
Is the driver a member of his family by any chance?
Reply 6
Original post by Sha_15

Troll are we?:teehee:

With all the expenses scandals, etc, you have to wonder how much would be saved if some politicans were not corrupt.

Transport to get to and from work whether it be by car or train is going up in cost. But no matter, the politicans get to claim expenses much more than most.
Reply 7
Original post by meenu89

Then Boris Johnson took over for you:tongue: It seems politicans are your type:tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by Mourinho<3
Then Boris Johnson took over for you:tongue: It seems politicans are your type:tongue:

Michael Portillo had the pleasure of being my first.
Reply 9
Original post by meenu89

It seems that you have a crush on all evil Tories.
Can someone explain to me why we give so much in foreign aid when half the world hates us?

Also some of the aid is going to countries better of than we are. I just don't understand this at all.
Reply 11
Original post by Sha_15

Even if he is jealous, does not make him wrong. MPs are supposed to be public servants, they shouldn't have £80k a year chauffeurs. If they want that kind of luxury, go into private business.
Original post by meenu89
Michael Portillo had the pleasure of being my first.

All middle aged tory men...a new fetish has emerged!:colone:
Reply 13
Original post by Rakas21
Amusing but appalling.

I'm definitely having a chauffer when i'm rich.

What site are those statistics in your sig from?
It sickens me to the core.
Original post by Mourinho<3
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/anger-as-simon-burns-minister-in-charge-of-rail-fares-uses-chauffeurdriven-car-for-work-8439968.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/simon-burns-minister-responsible-for-train-fares-uses-80000ayear-chauffeurdriven-government-car-to-avoid-overcrowded-trains-8439959.html

I am actually sick of reading this to be honest. For how many years have MP's under both Labour and Conservative been doing things like this?

Cutbacks need to be made urgently-but not by us politicans they should add. Politicans claim to want what is best for the average person, the country as a whole. Such a lie in too many cases. Not even the quite well off, say those in the top tax bracket, could afford this nonsense.

It seems to me (and if I am wrong then I hope someone corrects me, I would genuinely want to be corrected) that its criticise those without jobs as work-shy, criticise the wealthy and look to increase taxes for the good of the country, but let us live in excess.:mad::mad:

In his defence, the poor guy probably couldn't afford the train fares
And the Minister of Defense should travel to work in a tank, the Business Secretary should run a business, Minister for Work and Pensions should be a pensioner (well almost on this one), Education Secretary should be made to work in a classroom, Health Secretary should be a doctor and Energy Secretary should use as much electricity as humanly possible.
Reply 17
http://www.politicaltest.net/test

Original post by danny111
What site are those statistics in your sig from?
Reply 18
Reply 19
Wow, big woop. MP uses chauffeur so he can work, and not have any sensitive information released, while he travels when MP's already do quite a lot already.

If he's working, on top of working, can't he be spared a little luxury, instead of working for the good of the country in a cramped train where he can't maximise his time as he'll only be able to work on non-sensitive information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending