The Student Room Group

Maynooth university in Ireland

Hi,

Anyone knows that university? I was looking for a 3 year degree in modern languages and found this one. They don't talk about a possible fourth year to spend abroad whereas the other universities always include a fourth year for languages.
I was thinking that it would be easier for me maybe to get in that one since it's not that popular compared to Dublin, Cork or the Trinity. I am from France.

Oh and another question, I have to apply online on the Susi grant website to find out if i can get the grant for the free tuition fees, right? Otherwise I ll pay the contribution?

Thank you for your help,
Regards,
Celine
Reply 1
I live near it and took Olympiad lessons there, if you have any questions on the area and such feel free to ask. I believe they do offer a year abroad to students for Erasmus.
Reply 2
Did you like it? It looks so beautiful and relaxed over there from the pictures i ve seen.

Owww I 'm so lost. I don't which choice i should put first. I'm also interested in the Applied languages degree of Limerick. But it all depends if I get a grant for the contribution or not. That's why I thought about Maynooth since I can study for only 3 years but then I am limited with French/German or another subject for the 2nd and 3rd year.
Reply 3
Original post by Celine-B
Did you like it? It looks so beautiful and relaxed over there from the pictures i ve seen.

Owww I 'm so lost. I don't which choice i should put first. I'm also interested in the Applied languages degree of Limerick. But it all depends if I get a grant for the contribution or not. That's why I thought about Maynooth since I can study for only 3 years but then I am limited with French/German or another subject for the 2nd and 3rd year.

It is in a lovely area, beautiful campus, one modern and one older campus. I loved the place, but sadly their courses do not really interest me. It is easy enough to get to Dublin from and there is a decent nightlife as well I do believe.
Reply 4
I guess it must be a little less expensive, I mean for the cost of living, than in any other cities?
I'm not sure if you can apply for Susi if you're not an Irish national, they're being pretty strict about it even for Irish people. No internationals I know (I'm at TCD) applied for it and a lot of Irish people that did still haven't heard if they're eligible yet, even though half the academic year has passed..(!) But €2250 per year isn't too bad considering.
Maynooth is quite far out of Dublin so the costs won't be as high as if you were studying in Trinity or UCD, but Dublin is quite expensive compared to a lot of other European cities. I have a couple of friends who go there and seem to enjoy it (although they don't study languages). You could consider NUI Galway as well? I don't know if they offer the same courses as NUI Maynooth but the cost of living would probably be lower and from what I've heard it's quite a studenty city.
Reply 6
Thanks for your help :smile:

I sent an email to Susi few days ago but no reply yet. Do you know about Scotland? I am applying for Aberdeen over there. Haven't sent the application yet (waiting for me reference but it's coming before tuesday).
How does SAAS work then? I haven't seen any mention about a contribution anywhere on any websites.
I have enough money for covering the Irish contribution but I feel bad about spending it all for that and get a loan for paying the accomodation. I also know it is certainly going to gradually increase up to 3000€.

Galway is also on my course choice but I put Limerick in second as there is the Applied languages programme but I'd rather go to Maynooth if it is possible to study languages for a total of 3 years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending