The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Manitude
My A2 geography fieldwork was on sand dunes on a beach in Anglesey. I was one of the few people who had the fun job of actually measuring the size of the dunes rather than looking at the vegetation on them :biggrin:

EDIT: Getting a bit off topic now lol

Our was beaches in Lyme Regis. London's basically our case study for multiculturalism, gentrification, commuter villages and Alpha world cities. We had a look at sand dunes but we decided we knew too little about them :tongue:.
Reply 101
Original post by JoannaMilano
Would there be anything wrong with a French person wanting to meet up with people of the same culture, but only so long as they're white? YES.

Non-white people can be British. The problem isn't that the OP wants to have British friends. The problem is that the OP wants to have "white British friends". Most of the young "foreigners" in London are second generation immigrants, thus they have lived here their whole lives and are British. At the very least, most young people moved here as very small children and so aren't much different to their white counterparts in terms of cultural knowledge and behaviour. Also, notice how the only "foreigners" he is fed up of seeing around are all non-white. And that's what makes his point unacceptable.

He's also misleading with his statistics. OK, so more that 50% of the population of (some areas of) London are non-white. So if you carve it into white/everyone else then sure, white people are the minority. But in reality no one sees the world like that: they see it as X% white British, Y% Bengali, Z% Caribbean etc. White people are still the largest ethnic group by far in most areas if you actually bother to look beyond "white British vs everyone else", so in no way are they truly a minority.

I said I want to meet more white people. I already have a number of friends who are black and asian and so on. What's wrong with that?

I mean why don't black and asian people go to Wales? Because there's no black/asian people there, that's why. Does that make them racist too?

Do you even live in London or not? You also haven't read my post. White English people in London tend to exist and cohabit in rich areas. I'm not rich and nor is my family so we live in an area where the majority is Asian and black. And the white people that are around me - are polish !!

So we ARE a minority. In most if not all areas of London that aren't middle class, we are.
Reply 102
Original post by JoannaMilano
I think you should learn what a strawman is before you accuse people of it. Or read the OP's post and understand what he's actually saying.

I didn't change what you posted at all. I simply quoted it and the provided what I think is a better analogy. You were comparing the OP wanting British friends to a Frenchman wanting French friends, conveniently ignoring that the OP wants WHITE British friends, not British friends in general. Thus, his situation is analogous to the situation I portrayed, not the one you did. :h:

Why are you putting words into my mouth? I never said I only want white british friends. I said I want to meet some white british people. That doesn't mean I don't want friends who are not white and english.

Don't try and stir.
Reply 103
Original post by KD35
I can maybe understand you wanting to meet BRITISH people with british culture but you're saying they have to be white? Britain isn't about being white, it's about being British you moron. Btw, white British people are still the most abundant so they're not a minority like you're claiming.

You say something about the people of London being different, they may well be different and if you don't like it, you can move. Londoners will act like Londoners, they aren't going to change for you. That's like coming to Britain and saying I don't like British people because they act like British people.

Do everyone a favour and move to Mars, I've heard theres no black/asian people there.

So you're making out I don't want to be around black/asian people at all? I never said that.

Let me put something forward to you. Would a black/asian family move to Wales? No they wouldn't. Why? Because there are no black/asian families/community there. Does that make them racist also I guess?
Reply 104
Original post by Cinglis95
It seems like you can't raise a racial issue on tsr without being pulled apart! If it was possible for everyone to see his point of view from a mutual perspective then these threads would be more meaningful but there's so many different backgrounds of TSR users that no real conclusion is made...which is normal, of course!

They are only looking at it through their own eyes. I would like to see what they would think if white people came over to Pakistan or somewhere else and replaced their businesses and shops with chip shops, pubs, and nightclubs. You go to work in Pakistan and 80% of the people are white english.

Let's see what they have to say when it's on them!
Reply 105
Original post by jama mj
i think your focusing more on economic status because you say there are white people in London but they are either chav's or educated middle class. i don't understand why your looking for a middle class girl in a "getto" area, logic dictates you must go to a middle class area to find middle class people. and look for the white middle class people. i don't understand why your so fixated on finding white friends having a preference is fine but to be honest most people don't pay much attention iv'e been friends with white, black, Asian, Italian, japanese it just shouldn't matter really not that having a preference is wrong its just my opinion

But if people read through my post I never experessed a dislike of black/asian people based on their colour or race. I expressed a desire to MEET more white english people in what is supposed to be the capital of England.

And I'm saying that economic/class status dictates that in London because unless you are well off and living in a nice area/going to nice middle class school - it's harder to meet white english people who aren't ghetto.
Reply 106
Original post by ForgetMe
I don't feel any discomfort being a rarity between so many mixed people. I live almost in Central London and Elephant&Castle station is like 5-10min away from me and like 90% of people are non-white but am okay with that. Where I came from, 99% of people were white and it was boring, we had only like 1% of people from other background like I've seen in my town few Chinese people and like 2-3 Black people, the rest were all white. It was so boring and when seeing a different race of a person, it was like exotic to the eyes, not because of the race but because of a variety :smile:

But have I asked for a 99% white population? NO. I simply want to meet more white people. In my day to day life white people is more like 5-10%.
Reply 107
Original post by dgeorge
She didn't add to your post. In your post, it came across that you were supporting the OP. She was simply pointing that what you said in that post is NOT what the OP was saying, therefore you were incorrect in making your comparison.
She wasn't trying to say that what you said was in any way racist, but that your comparison was flawed.

I don't think anyone has an issue with people gathering with others of a shared background or heritage, but it's when they only want to gather with those *of a certain race* (which is what OP was saying) then THAT becomes racist. It is not "PC" to say so.

Please neg me back, it's only fair :frown:

I never said I ONLY want to be with white people. Get your facts right.
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay then. Why can't you be friends with other people? Why just white people? I have a group of freinds that have backgrounds from all over the world, including white english and have been freinds for 5 years. Why is it so hard to make friends with non- white english people??:confused:

If you don't like it, the go to scotland. I hear they have nice weather there.:colone:
Reply 109
Original post by dgeorge
I'm quite sure she did. Again, she was pointing out that you seemed to hint that people had a problem with others hanging out with people of the same background, which is NOT the substantive issue here. The issue here is that OP only wants WHITE people of his background to hang out with.

She was juxtaposing what you said with what OP said, as opposed to quoting you and slipping in the race issue. In reality, she was trying to point out what the OP was saying, but she replied to YOU because you seemed to be referencing something said, but you missed out on the essence of that reference, which is why she was trying to CORRECT you instead of quote you.

The fact that you missed out on the blatant racist leanings of OP's post was the main reason that I negged you btw. But now I'm sorry :frown:

Why do you keep saying this? Find me the quote that says I ONLY want to hang around white people.
Reply 110
Original post by oj234
If you don't like it move to the countryside where you can eat your fish and chips in peace.

Let me throw this one around

How about if I said go and eat your chicken wings in nigeria.

Why is that any worse than what you said?
Reply 111
Original post by Theoneoranro
Personally I think you just don't have any social skills so you can't make friends, you're just using skin colour as an excuse. Even if you moved to an all white place you'd still be the same. I know white people who have been to almost all asian schools and live in asian areas but still have good social lives.

Lol I've lived in the midlands. I've lived in the westcountry. I lived in Africa and America. So you don't know me or my background or social abilities or what I can or can not do. I've got friends now and I've had friends before. I've had many white friends in the past but that wasn't difficult as I lived in a majority white place. I also have a couple of FWB girlfriends on the side, both european. So don't assume that just cas I make this post I'm some nerd who just plays world of warcraft.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Parx

EDIT: It's not coincidence that alot of white people are moving to places like Hertfordshire, Essex and Guildford as well as leaving to live in places like Australia.

It's exactly this really - most white Londoners, apart from the wealthy, have moved to the surrounding counties. This isn't largely because they feel scared, marginalised etc, it's because they've done well for themselves and have the sense to see that you can get a far bigger house for your cash if you move further out, and have a better standard of living. Why have a grotty 2 bed terrace in Mile End when you could have a 4 bedroom detached in Kent?

London is becoming a rich man's playground, serviced by a large underclass of poor service industry workers, so I'd suggest doing the same, moving out and commuting in :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 113
Original post by PINKFLEUR
However, Made in Chelsea does seem to embellish the reality of Chelsea. In reality, Chelsea is filled with many ethnic minorities although the white population does form the majority.

Chelsea, Kensington, Belgravia, Notting Hill - all very multi-ethnic. I would guess there are relatively few white English people at all in Belgravia for example.

People seem to be a bit confused about this announcement on the ethnicity of London - it is still majority white, just not majority *English* white as in "born in the UK". There are now, for example, more than half a million people of French origin in London and 300,000 of Russian origin, to mention only two nationalities.

My parents have a house in a part of inner London thought to be upmarket and the area is very diverse, their neighbours are French on one side, Indian on the other - English-origin people are a definite minority.
Reply 114
Original post by jamesmiguel
100% agree with this :smile:

At a guess I myself would fall into the 'white middle-class' category, and personally I think the more diversity the better! White people are great of course, but at the same time there is so much we can learn from the cultures of other nations/races. For instance, in London you have access to pretty much any food in the world - French, Greek, Italian, Thai, Vietnamese, Lebanese... the list goes on. We wouldn't have these amazing restaurants if it wasn't for the diversity in our nation today.

In terms of the opposite sex - which the OP seems to be primarily concerned about - of course there are tons of beautiful, interesting, funny white girls, but equally London is full of exotic and amazing Asian, Oriental, Middle Eastern girls... variety is after all the spice of life :wink: In my time I've dated white, mixed race, British-Indian, Chinese - all of these girls were pretty, smart, funny, and most of all each completely unique :colondollar:

I get that people don't want to see our country being 'eroded' or whatever, but personally (working in London myself) I have never felt in the 'minority' - white people still seem to make up the majority of people, even in some very cosmopolitan areas of East London.

So, yeah, bring on the diversity :smile:

Yes but by your own admission you are middle class and probably went to a school with lots of middle class students. So all this 'multicultural' stuff is fine for you. It doesn't affect your life at all.

I would love to see what other white english people would think if they lived in the areas I went to and went to the schools I went to (one of which doesn't even exist anymore)
Reply 115
Original post by Meghna96
Okay then. Why can't you be friends with other people? Why just white people? I have a group of freinds that have backgrounds from all over the world, including white english and have been freinds for 5 years. Why is it so hard to make friends with non- white english people??:confused:

If you don't like it, the go to scotland. I hear they have nice weather there.:colone:

But did I say I have a problem making friends with non white people? No I didn't.
Reply 116
Original post by Parx
Let me throw this one around

How about if I said go and eat your chicken wings in nigeria.

Why is that any worse than what you said?

Simple; we're not in Nigeria, I'm not Nigerian, and I didn't realise chicken wings were part of the Nigerian cuisine.

However, if I was a native Nigerian who came over to the UK and I made a thread complaining about white culture such as drinking beer and eating chips, then you have every right to tell me to "eat my chicken wings in Nigeria"...that is, if eating chicken wings in Nigeria is part of the culture.
Reply 117
Original post by EssexDan86
It's exactly this really - most white Londoners, apart from the wealthy, have moved to the surrounding counties. This isn't largely because they feel scared, marginalised etc, it's because they've done well for themselves and have the sense to see that you can get a far bigger house for your cash if you move further out, and have a better standard of living. Why have a grotty 2 bed terrace in Mile End when you could have a 4 bedroom detached in Kent?

London is becoming a rich man's playground, serviced by a large underclass of poor service industry workers, so I'd suggest doing the same, moving out and commuting in :smile:

Well yes, many years down the line I will do that. They do it for a variety of reasons but 1 reason is exactly what I'm talking about. It just is taboo.

Look at the reputation , 19 likes and 21 dislikes. It's not just me who thinks this then! Many of the people who move out are doing it because they have similar feeling to me about a complete lack of identity in London.
Original post by Parx

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

Then stfu....those people have as much right to be there as you!! If it's bothering you, you should move from there; if it's bothering them, then they should move.
I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.
I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

So you know what it's like to be an ethnic minority and you don't like it. Yet you start complaining that 'they', all these other ethnic minorities are wrong to want to group together whether in the work place or in social circles? Don't you think that's a double-standard.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto.

I like white girls and I've had no problem meeting any. I also see hundreds of white girls every day despite living in a council state which you've suggested would only contain non-white people precisely because it's a council estate (lolwhat?).

The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I can tell them apart by how much more traditionally narrow-minded they are. That's why I find London amazing. There's much less room for racism and general intolerance.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

Some white people whine about it, yes. But not any that I've met and I wouldn't mix with any that do.

Latest

Trending

Trending