The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zara55
Chelsea, Kensington, Belgravia, Notting Hill - all very multi-ethnic. I would guess there are relatively few white English people at all in Belgravia for example.People seem to be a bit confused about this announcement on the ethnicity of London - it is still majority white, just not majority *English* white as in "born in the UK". There are now, for example, more than half a million people of French origin in London and 300,000 of Russian origin, to mention only two nationalities.My parents have a house in a part of inner London thought to be upmarket and the area is very diverse, their neighbours are French on one side, Indian on the other - English-origin people are a definite minority.

Indeed. Well said. :clap2:
Reply 121
Original post by Parx
So you're making out I don't want to be around black/asian people at all? I never said that.

Let me put something forward to you. Would a black/asian family move to Wales? No they wouldn't. Why? Because there are no black/asian families/community there. Does that make them racist also I guess?

Sorry I forgot that you're black and asian and speak for the entire community. There are black/asian people in Wales. The only reason I wouldn't move to a certain area was if it was known for containing many racist people.
Reply 122
Original post by Ben_Dover
Then stfu....those people have as much right to be there as you!! If it's bothering you, you should move from there; if it's bothering them, then they should move.

Well it doesn't bother them because they are surrounded by their own. You don't see them residing in Wales do you?
Reply 123
Original post by Parx
I said I want to meet more white people. I already have a number of friends who are black and asian and so on. What's wrong with that?

I mean why don't black and asian people go to Wales? Because there's no black/asian people there, that's why. Does that make them racist too?

Do you even live in London or not? You also haven't read my post. White English people in London tend to exist and cohabit in rich areas. I'm not rich and nor is my family so we live in an area where the majority is Asian and black. And the white people that are around me - are polish !!

So we ARE a minority. In most if not all areas of London that aren't middle class, we are.

Sorry to break the news to you, but there is a huge number of Asians in Wales in Cardiff, Swansea etc and considerably large populations of black people.

It's only the countryside areas where there are only white people.

You don't seem too intelligent.

Reply 124
Original post by Eljamaispa
So you know what it's like to be an ethnic minority and you don't like it. Yet you start complaining that 'they', all these other ethnic minorities are wrong to want to group together whether in the work place or in social circles? Don't you think that's a double-standard.

I like white girls and I've had no problem meeting any. I also see hundreds of white girls every day despite living in a council state which you've suggested would only contain non-white people precisely because it's a council estate (lolwhat?).

I can tell them apart by how much more traditionally narrow-minded they are. That's why I find London amazing. There's much less room for racism and general intolerance.

Some white people whine about it, yes. But not any that I've met and I wouldn't mix with any that do.

It's the other way around. I'm annoyed that I'm a minority in the capital of England and yet it's fine for asian and black people because they are surrounded by their own. As mentioned before, you don't see them in Wales do you? No, that's because none of their own are around them. So they point the finger yet ironically they cluster together to be a majority.

What makes you think that people would tell you this openly? As I said before, it's taboo - doesn't mean noone thinks similarly.
White people are still a majority mate. I am south asian and went to a very white school. At university I met many asians. I can honestly say I liked both my very different type of mates. I know this sounds cliche, but I do find it enriching. It's not liike the white race is being wiped out, then I might understand. London has a lot of other europeans.

Anyway mate, this one if for you:

"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."

- Brian True-May, Executive Producer, Midsomer Murders, 14 March 2011

Reply 126
Original post by KD35
Sorry I forgot that you're black and asian and speak for the entire community. There are black/asian people in Wales. The only reason I wouldn't move to a certain area was if it was known for containing many racist people.

See as soon as I turn it around to give the argument some perspective, you don't like it.

So tell me what place is known for containing racist people? Is Wales 'known' for containing racist people? Can you prove that to me? Noo.
luckily i'm not a racist and have no more difficulty mixing with non whites as i do with whites (unless they themselves are racist against me, in which case i don't care about them anyway, and to be honest have not found this racism in student age and normal people)... so no difficulty.
Reply 128
Original post by oj234
Sorry to break the news to you, but there is a huge number of Asians in Wales in Cardiff, Swansea etc and considerably large populations of black people.

It's only the countryside areas where there are only white people.

Thanks for telling me that twice - very intelligent of you young man!

'Across the English regions and Wales, the survey found that Wales was the least ethnically diverse area - some 2.9 million whites made up 96% of residents.' BBC NEWS.

So 4% ethnics then.

Reply 129
Original post by Potential Trigger
White people are still a majority mate. I am south asian and went to a very white school. At university I met many asians. I can honestly say I liked both my very different type of mates. I know this sounds cliche, but I do find it enriching. It's not liike the white race is being wiped out, then I might understand. London has a lot of other europeans.

Anyway mate, this one if for you:

"We're the last bastion of Englishness and I want to keep it that way."

- Brian True-May, Executive Producer, Midsomer Murders, 14 March 2011

I agree with you. I wouldn't want to live in an all white place. But I'm not asking for that either! I WANT to live with people from all over the world. I actually want that. But I just think it's getting out of hand.
You are complaining 20 years too late. The white working class of London is basically gone or integrated with the ethnic minorities that occupy the working class space. The only white working class exist in old industrial coal mining towns.
Reply 132
This is just the disadvantage of multiculturalism, the fact that some people don't integrate. I don't have a problem with how society is now, but I do think that Britain would be better if multiculturalism was more widespread across the country.
Reply 133
Original post by Parx

You've not answered my question. I'm posting it below for convenience.

Err really? Why don't you yourself open up a shop to try and restore the balance? Like I said, if people don't want to then others will come and do it for them. My local chippy is run by Greeks and Cypriots
Original post by Parx
It's the other way around. I'm annoyed that I'm a minority in the capital of England and yet it's fine for asian and black people because they are surrounded by their own. As mentioned before, you don't see them in Wales do you? No, that's because none of their own are around them. So they point the finger yet ironically they cluster together to be a majority.

What makes you think that people would tell you this openly? As I said before, it's taboo - doesn't mean noone thinks similarly.

They cluster together because black, Asians, poles and etc don't have money. So they move into areas that have low value housing. It is also helpful to move into areas that may have a local mosque, temple or sell food they like.

That is why in areas like tooting and Heath, you will find mainly immigrants or their descendants. It has nothing to do with clustering together to be a majority

Also, FYI, there is a pretty famous temple in Wales that loads of Hindus go to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Parx

Do you really think ethnic minority people care so much about what you do with your life? How many ethnic minority people have out-rightly accused you of being discriminating because you're hanging out with other white people?

Sounds like it's all in your head.

I suppose they might not tell me openly. But then if they don't like it they should move out of the city so they don't have to worry about saying anything or not saying anything.
Reply 136
Original post by ameritus
You've not answered my question. I'm posting it below for convenience.

I ignored it on purpose because it's a stupid question.
Reply 137
Original post by Parx
Thanks for telling me that twice - very intelligent of you young man!

'Across the English regions and Wales, the survey found that Wales was the least ethnically diverse area - some 2.9 million whites made up 96% of residents.' BBC NEWS.

So 4% ethnics then.

And England has 80% whites, 8 out of 10 are white :smile:

Is that not good enough for you?
Reply 138
Original post by Parx
I ignored it on purpose because it's a stupid question.

How is it in any way a stupid question? Is it because you know it makes sense and you'd rather avoid it?

Seriously.

Why do you think there aren't many shops owned by white people in some areas?

It's because they don't want to open them.

I'm assuming the reason you haven't used your initiative and opened up a shop yet is because you don't want to.

Now imagine if everyone else in your position felt the same.

There's your answer.
Reply 139
Original post by oj234
And England has 80% whites, 8 out of 10 are white :smile:

Is that not good enough for you?

and London?

Latest

Trending

Trending