The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

English & white - not good if you live in London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by ameritus
How is it in any way a stupid question? Is it because you know it makes sense and you'd rather avoid it?

Seriously.

Why do you think there aren't many shops owned by white people in some areas?

It's because they don't want to open them.

I'm assuming the reason you haven't used your initiative and opened up a shop yet is because you don't want to.

Now imagine if everyone else in your position felt the same.

There's your answer.

So essentially you are saying the 'answer' is that white english people don't want to open shops? Isn't that racist! :angry:
Original post by Parx
I find London to be a bit of an enigma. On one hand I love how big it is, the anlymity of it. The endless things to do and places to see. To an EXTENT, the cultural aspects and meeting people from different backgrounds etc But having lived abroad in my life I've never had a problem meeting people from other backgrounds. I've known people from all over the world from a young age as I lived abroad.

But then I think to myself how it's difficult to fit in as a white working class English guy sometimes. Honestly, unless you mix in middle class circles you simply don't get the chance to meet groups of white people. The polarisation of rich/poor means you have middle class enclaves mixed in with the poverty, council estate type of areas.

I've just grown tired of not being able to meet hardly any white english people at all. It seems the only way to meet them is by joining a sports team. But I'm tired of going to school or college or work and being a 10% minority. In my last 2 jobs there were hardly any white english people, and these are big retail companies. At school literally about 90% of the school was just catering for ethnic children and unless you go to a good/bordering middle class/bordering private school - it is always like that.

If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles.

It's really affected my social life and my chances with girls. Let's consider that I only really like white girls in general, and I don't have any middle class friends or circles - therefore it's very very hard to meet white english girls who aren't ghetto. The people outside of London are very different to the types in London. You only have to compare the types of white people in unis outside of London, compared to the white people in London unis to be able to see the social differences between them. To the point where having lived both in and inside of London, I can look at a group of people and tell whether or not they are from London. The people outside of London will be more kind of traditionally English.

I don't see why I should have to move out of London to meet white people. Also I've been moved around in my life so much that I just want to settle now.

I just think it's a big shame. I'm also pissed off at the idea that black/asian people think they can call white people like myself racist just because we want to meet some of our own. I mean, we are now a minority according to the latest census figures. Why shouldn't we meet some of our own? Asians and black people congregate together in their own communities and neighbourhoods and jobs and so on, why shouldn't we? It's like you have a group of 20 people with 2 white people - that is multiculturalism. Everything is fine and dandy. Have 18 white people and that group is perceived to be potentially racist by other ethnic minorities.

Sadly, I know I'm not the only white person thinking this exact same thing. Noone really wants to talk about it in fear of accusations, but I know that many white English people feel the same. White English people will become extinct certainly in London within about 15 years.

I'll go into work tomorrow and meet my 15 odd work colleagues. I'm the only English person. They're a great bunch and we have a laugh. But it's alienating being in England and being the only white English person knocking about. You start to lose your identity. I mean it's only natural. If a black or asian guy/girl was surrounded by 14 white people at work in Pakistan or Nigeria how would they feel?

Cantyou go looking for friends without being hung up on what colour theynare going to be. If went to live In some vilage called pudwick-on-tyne or something, i wouldnt spend all my time looking for people that looked the same as me then go come home and type an internet story whinging abiut it.
Have you ever been to resorts in spain and portugal, - do ex pat brits hang around the locals or do they huddle together in british communiities , not speaking a word of the lingo?
Clearly living in a big city is not for you- youd the same problem living in any major international city new york, paris, rome, singapore, delhi, sydney etc
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 142
Original post by Parx
So essentially you are saying the 'answer' is that white english people don't want to open shops? Isn't that racist! :angry:

I....erm...what? :K:

If I really wanted to be racist, I could say that white people are moving out into the suburbs because they don't like the "ethnics" who are living around them. If I really, really wanted to be racist, I'd call you out for getting fed up of working with non-white people, even if you think they're a laugh.

But making the observation that white people don't want to open shops is just...an observation?

But OK, let's say I was being racist, meaning that what I said was false. Let's say white people do want to open shops. Where are they? In the sky? Underground? Hidden behind a Dixy Chicken?
Reply 143
Original post by 2worldcups-1T20
Cantyou go looking for friends without being hung up on what colour theynare going to be. If went to live In some vilage called pudwick-on-tyne or something, i wouldnt spend all my time looking for people that looked the same as me then go come home and type an internet story whinging abiut it.
Have you ever been to resorts in spain and portugal, - do ex pat brits hang around the locals or do they huddle together in british communiities , not speaking a word of the lingo?
Clearly living in a big city is not for you- youd the same problem living in any major international city new york, paris, rome, singapore, delhi, sydney etc

You say it's not for me but by the figures of late it's not for alot of white people and by 2030 it won't be for any white english people!
Original post by Parx
Well it doesn't bother them because they are surrounded by their own. You don't see them residing in Wales do you?

They have the freedom to live there, do they not?
What exactly do you want? For them to move so that you can be surrounded by your own?
Reply 145
Original post by ameritus
I....erm...what? :K:

If I really wanted to be racist, I could say that white people are moving out into the suburbs because they don't like the "ethnics" who are living around them. If I really, really wanted to be racist, I'd call you out for getting fed up of working with non-white people, even if you think they're a laugh.

But making the observation that white people don't want to open shops is just...an observation?

But OK, let's say I was being racist, meaning that what I said was false. Let's say white people do want to open shops. Where are they? In the sky? Underground? Hidden behind a Dixy Chicken?

lol so it's an observation but if I said black people don't want to open up shops it would be racist right? can't be bothered
Reply 146
Original post by Ben_Dover
They have the freedom to live there, do they not?
What exactly do you want? For them to move so that you can be surrounded by your own?

No I'm just pointing out the irony ... that is asian and black people pointing the finger yet doing exactly the same thing in essence.
Reply 147
Original post by Parx
lol so it's an observation but if I said black people don't want to open up shops it would be racist right? can't be bothered

Well, as you yourself said, "If you go into places like Subway and so on, you'll see an Asian manager and 9/10 it's full of Asian workers. I've seen this countless of times in places like Sainsbury's and Poundland etc They'll literally just employ Asians and some Poles."

So yeah I suppose black people don't want to work in shops as much as Asian people. Hence the stereotype about the Asian corner shop.

I can't tell if you're trolling for the sake of it, or just being dense and can't see the logic.
Original post by Parx
No I'm just pointing out the irony ... that is asian and black people pointing the finger yet doing exactly the same thing in essence.

I haven't come across an asian or black person complaining about the fact that they are surrounded by too many white people.

If i do, i will tell them the same thing i told you...move somewhere else.
Reply 149
Original post by Ben_Dover
I haven't come across an asian or black person complaining about the fact that they are surrounded by too many white people.

If i do, i will tell them the same thing i told you...move somewhere else.

lol as if they would say. come on man , you can't be serious.
Original post by Parx
<Stuff you said>

Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£
The fact of the matter is, regardless of all of your nonsense, Britain still retains a massive majority of white people. Maybe you should move out of parts of London, then your narrow worldview will be shattered?

South West England, maybe? Or the North? Like York or Scunthorpe or Sheffield?

Yeah, sod it OP, come live up here in York. All we have is white peeps :ahee:
Original post by Parx
lol as if they would say. come on man , you can't be serious.

My point is thus proven....you have no right to complain about where people live....the problem is not those people that live there but the person that is complaning.
Original post by Parx
You say it's not for me but by the figures of late it's not for alot of white people and by 2030 it won't be for any white english people!

L=still little under half of the population of london is white britsh. more than most major cities like rio or new york. These are the biggest money earners so attract the most people. I'm sure there are spansih or chinese people complaining about the numbe of white brits in their cities too. why is it even important to you that london is white[QUOTE]
Reply 153
Original post by kevin6767
I live in the countryside in an average sized town and I can see your point. A lot of white londoners do seem to be moving out. All of the ones I have encountered all say the same thing, it isn't an English city anymore. That isn't to say we feel sorry for them, they push up house prices. The majority of people in my town know each other, talk to one another, even if you don't know them you still stop and say hello. We have a great sense of community which took a lot of effort to build and takes effort and politeness to maintain. We dislike outsiders intently, be they white or brown. The Londoners tend to get bored with the "lack of things to do" and/or immediately try and start changing things. For instance we have had a travelling fair come every year in May since 1456, it is part of our traditions and way of life. A white family from London tried to have it stopped because the fair rides played music for 4 days and it ruined the peace and quiet the supposedly moved here for. It caused a lot of angry. I found it odd that these people had left London saying foreigners had altered the place to suit them and had no respect for the way things were but did exactly the same thing when they moved to our town. The people that ran the fair were and are good friends with local people and no one really liked the family from London. We are small enough and tight knit enough to make them feel uncomfortable and they left. They also tried to do the whole lord of the manner thing and act superior to everyone. We didn't like that and they stood out a mile, most lords and ladies are of the old noblesse oblige class that simply don't act like pillocks.

I guess what I am trying to say in that example is if people move some where they ought to be prepared to adapt to the area not try and impose their way of life on the local people. We don't want to change because we like the way things are. If you want to change fair enough, you do that but don't assume everyone wants to. If people don't like the idea of adapting to the local ways no one is stopping them from leaving to go back to where they came from. Maybe if Londoners had had more of this sort of attitude when multiculturalism was being imposed on them they wouldn't feel compelled to leave. In the countryside however we tend to be far more ridged in our views and don't really care what other people think of us. In London it might be taboo or you will have ism of phobia words thrown at you but only you can let them stick. People have in the past told me to moderate my language since I have been at uni and I always ask them why? Why should I hide behind your sensibilities because you think someone some where might take offence? I stayed in London for a few weeks and every time I spoke people seemed to take in a gasp of air followed by you can't say that, someone might get offended. London to me is dirty, over crowded, isolated, lonely and generally not that pleasant a place to live on a long term basis anyway.

If someone takes offence to this post well you'll get over it, time is a great healer but feel free to think you can moderate my view point by hitting red.

I was actually going to hit green, but I ran out of ratings for the day :biggrin:
Pretty soon white people are going to be known as whine people.

I mean seriously, do you people ever stfu whining? :blah:

Get over it.
Reply 155
Original post by bolly_mad
Pretty soon white people are going to be known as whine people.

I mean seriously, do you people ever stfu whining? :blah:

Get over it.

and again if i said that the other way it would be deemed racist ... and you guys wonder what point i'm trying to make?!
Original post by Parx
and again if i said that the other way it would be deemed racist ... and you guys wonder what point i'm trying to make?!

I get where you are coming from.

I am Jewish and from Israel. Israel is considered a Jewish country and the only immigrants allowed into Israel are Jewish immigrants. We are preserving our culture and keeping Israel pure.

If I were a white indigenous Englishman I would probably feel the same way as you. UK is a laughing stock for radical islamists, they have taken over London and all major cities.

As soon as i finish my education im off to Israel for good where our people are preserved :smile: jealous? I bet you are.
(edited 11 years ago)
Ohohoho try being Black or Asian in the southwest, %98 white.
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
White people make up the majority of where I live in my part of London, probably cos it's Bromley. I suppose it varies from borough to borough. If you've ever seen Made in Chelsea, nearly everyone on that is white, and they all unmistakably live in London.

So true, white British make up the most in London, I mean excluding areas where you have a concentration of ethnic minorities i.e. East London - South Asians, Catford - Black Caribbean mainly. However, even when toy go to these areas you still see white people, although they may be a minority it is not like "where's wally". From my experience from travel across London it is majority white people or a board diverse mixture, I see and I am black. OP is just seeing what he wants to see :rolleyes: Forget supposedly statistic unless you live in London (and that is going outside of just Zone 1-central). You cannot really judge. Just saying.
Original post by davidoff12
I get where you are coming from.

I am Jewish and from Israel. Israel is considered a Jewish country and the only immigrants allowed into Israel are Jewish immigrants. We are preserving our culture and keeping Israel pure.

If I were a white indigenous Englishman I would probably feel the same way as you. UK is a laughing stock for radical islamists, they have taken over London and all major cities.

As soon as i finish my education im off to Israel for good where our people are preserved :smile: jealous? I bet you are.

Haha.....yeh... I am worried about Islamic radicals in the UK so I am going to go to Israel instead.

Latest

Trending

Trending